2022 TAG Heuer Aquaracer GMT WBP2010.BA0632

I am not getting involved :D

but I actually do prefer the new ones - it was the aluminium bezels on the blue/ black one that make them look a bit off to me (despite the fact I own an aluminium bezel Rolex gmt).

but I also agree I’m not the biggest fan of the dial ‘waves’ but I look forward to seeing one in the flesh.

personally I like the new green diver over the GMT’s however.

Not to mention the old 'Batman' had baton markers and not 'dots'

Yeah I miss thoses, they really helped the watch stand out from a distance and they had more lume too. Even dual color lume if I remember correctly.

From a distance the new octogons markers just look like your usual round suspects.

But I immensely respect the brand for at least trying new thing. Each new gen of Aquaracer brings something new to the table while the Sub didn't moved in decades.

The Sub has huge demand as is, so why would they mess with it other than to make small incremental tweaks?

Much as I agree that TH are more interesting by releasing different things over time.

The Sub has huge demand as is, so why would they mess with it other than to make small incremental tweaks?

Much as I agree that TH are more interesting by releasing different things over time.

Because they can
Rolex has enough hype they could release anything it'll sell like hot cakes. A revised submariner with a few tweaks here and there, comparables to what Tag does from one Aquaracer to another, that would be great.

If they don't want to touch their precious icon they could just call it "Submariner II" and sell it as a different model. Vanilla would still be stuck in the past as it is and II would get new design traits and innovations every now and then.

Because they can
Rolex has enough hype they could release anything it'll sell like hot cakes. A revised submariner with a few tweaks here and there, comparables to what Tag does from one Aquaracer to another, that would be great.
If they don't want to touch their precious icon they could just call it "Submariner II" and sell it as a different model. Vanilla would still be stuck in the past as it is and II would get new design traits and innovations every now and then.
I hear you from a customer interest point of view, however, from a business point of view it makes zero sense. Why waste development cost when what they are currently doing is thriving!?!

I know it’s due to the hype, but it is what it is and there’s no reason to risk spoiling that currently. They may need to do do at some point, as demand shifts, but I am sure they will do that when they absolutely must.

I hear you from a customer interest point of view, however, from a business point of view it makes zero sense. Why waste development cost when what they are currently doing is thriving!?!

I know it’s due to the hype, but it is what it is and there’s no reason to risk spoiling that currently. They may need to do do at some point, as demand shifts, but I am sure they will do that when they absolutely must.
Except ... eventually the hype dies down. Without at least some minimal R&D, they won't have anything "new" to generate a new round of hype when that inevitably happens. Because we all know how difficult it is to select a new colorway or change the shape of the hands (or, heaven forbid, both). :rolleyes:

Except ... eventually the hype dies down.

Rolex has 100 years of masterful marketing and hype-building behind their brand and 70 behind the Submariner specifically as of this year. The hype for the Sub and the GMT in particular will never die down, trust me. (They will return to list price at retail soon, but Rolex will still sell every unit they make)

All Rolex has to do is pop out a green Sub here and there or move the crown to the left for no reason and the hype starts anew.

Rolex has 100 years of masterful marketing and hype-building behind their brand and 70 behind the Submariner specifically as of this year. The hype for the Sub and the GMT in particular will never die down, trust me. (They will return to list price at retail soon, but Rolex will still sell every unit they make)

All Rolex has to do is pop out a green Sub here and there or move the crown to the left for no reason and the hype starts anew.
Exactly. But, popping out a green Sub or moving the crown still requires some minimal R&D. At least to make sure the color prints okay or the new hole is drilled in the correct place. It doesn't happen (can't) totally by fiat with some exec waving his hand in the air and issuing a commandment -- at least some small amount of practical work needs to go into developing each variation before they can pop out a new one.

It's sad that their fanbase will rejoice even with this little novelties
Edited:

…the new hole is drilled in the correct place.

What new hole is needed to put the crown of a Submariner on the opposite side!?! :)

What new hole is needed to put the crown of a Submariner on the opposite side!?! :)
Don't know. Never really paid that much attention to a Sub. Just guessing. I supposed you could rotate the dial 180 degrees and spin the case around. However, wouldn't that require a bit of R&D to make an upside-down dial?

I suppose you could just put the watch on upside down, and then everyone talking to you can tell the time for you. No R&D required. :p

My dream job would be to design the next Submariner. I would work even less days than Jim Dollares.

Don't know. Never really paid that much attention to a Sub. Just guessing. I supposed you could rotate the dial 180 degrees and spin the case around. However, wouldn't that require a bit of R&D to make an upside-down dial?

I suppose you could just put the watch on upside down, and then everyone talking to you can tell the time for you. No R&D required. :p
Would have thought there would be zero or very minimal changes needed to just mount the dial 180° different to the movement, depending on mounting points. Even the date wheel works upside down.

Wearing it upside down instead is always an interesting option too, I agree. :)

Wouldn’t matter to many anyway, as they’re wearing it as jewellery rather than actually wanting to tell the time. ;)

Well it does, but surely you'd have to print the numbers the other way up.