Forums Latest Members

2021 TAG Heuer Monaco Titan Special Edition Calibre 11

1. paysdoufs

paysdoufs May 21, 2021

Maybe it’s because for the caseback you need a higher quality material… :whistling: ;)

2. jacinabox

jacinabox May 21, 2021

I'm indifferent. If it had been with winder on the proper side (the right hand side!) and I cannot, truly cannot, get my head around those horizontal indices, they jar when I look at them...heritage and originality I know :)
    But Titanium; lovely.

In truth, I could live with the left hand winder. If it had radial indices it would be worthy of consideration.
    I'm sure I have seen some Cal 11 style watches with radial indices, or am I imagining things?

One day perhaps I'll come to appreciate this odd, to my eyes at least, nod to its origins.

3. Mspeedster

Mspeedster May 21, 2021

I adore pandas, so for me this one is the "Ice Titan". ;)

Le Mans edition as in the race? Or 50th Anniversary of the movie?

4. MonacoMike

MonacoMike May 21, 2021

Your response makes me laugh a bit because as far as my eye goes, I have the exact opposite viewpoint.

The left-hand crown and horizontal indices, while unconventional, yes, are absolutely what MAKE a Monaco for me. I'd go so far as to say that in nearly all cases, I think that Monacos with the crown at 3-O'Clock look BAD. It just makes the watch look horribly unbalanced in my opinion. And the horizontal indices visually fill up the negative space left by fitting a round movement in a square case in a way that the radial indices just don't do.

The Monaco has always been a watch that was not for everyone, but I feel like the original setup IS what Monaco is, and attempts to change that, via the crown position, or hour marker placement just ruin the look for me.

Each to his own, and I'm in no way saying any of that to be rude. I'm just a firm believer that they got it RIGHT (or is it left???) the first time!

Hubert, Albert-AMG, Remo and 3 others like this.
  5. MonacoMike

MonacoMike May 21, 2021

More like 3 months away, this year, thanks to Covid.... But yea, the third weekend in June is the traditional time frame.

6. Mspeedster

Mspeedster May 21, 2021

I know when the race is. I was asking about the plaque that @abrod520 mentioned. "Le Mans" could mean the race or movie, which one is it?

7. abrod520

abrod520 May 21, 2021

It's in Sept again this year? Thought it was back to June. No matter though because...

... it doesn't say, lol. Just "Le Mans Edition" from what I saw.

Mspeedster likes this.
  8. MonacoMike

MonacoMike May 21, 2021

August 21-22, 2021 this year.

9. MonacoMike

MonacoMike May 21, 2021

I'm intrigued by this, too.

10. Mspeedster

Mspeedster May 21, 2021

With 2021 being the 50th Anniversary of the movie which was entirely responsible for the Monaco's fame, it will be a huge missed opportunity if TH doesn't release a Monaco to celebrate this milestone. So I want to know if this one is it, or if there might be yet another special Monaco coming in August around the time of the race.

From what I had read & recall, the Vintage Gulf Grey Monaco LE CAW2113 released in late 2009 was also in part to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the movie. Albeit a bit early, since 40 years was 2011.

11. MonacoMike

MonacoMike May 21, 2021

Frederic Arnault did suggest during the Monaco round-table prior to the sale of the McQueen Monaco earlier this year, that the company was considering doing a legitimate original Calibre 11 remake, micro-rotor and all. It'd be like a Monaco version of the recent Ed White Speedmaster Re-issue.

If there's to be something to celebrate 50 years of the movie, I'd imagine that could be it.

Remo and Mspeedster like this.
  12. Mspeedster

Mspeedster May 21, 2021

Yes I recall that, watched it live. It will be a very desirable watch, especially if they use the round pushers of the original and can make the case smaller & slimmer. It would be super awesome if they release something like that at Le Mans this year.

But my feeling is that watch may be years away, because his comment to me seemed very much conceptual. For the watch to be released this year, I think that movement would've needed to be in development prior to Frederic becoming CEO.

Remo and thingziliketoo like this.
  13. MonacoMike

MonacoMike May 21, 2021

That was the sense that I got this year. But, English isn't his first language, so I'm not sure if perhaps the inflection could have just seemed that way? Guess time will tell!

14. Mspeedster

Mspeedster May 21, 2021

Right, we'll see. But I think it would be very irresponsible of a CEO to drop a hint like that if the watch was going to be released this year. At least in the companies I've worked for, we work hard not have things leaked before a new product release.

15. MonacoMike

MonacoMike May 21, 2021

I'm surprised he mentioned it, at all...

16. Mspeedster

Mspeedster May 21, 2021

If this watch is the Le Mans edition, it will be a little weird for TH to also bring out a Le Mans Movie edition closely after. But they've done it before, with the C11 Monaco Gulf (CAW211R) for 50 years of Gulf Racing and then the C11 Monaco Gulf (CAW211T) for 50 years since Gulf's first Le Mans victory.

Also, I've been thinking about what constitutes a Special Edition vs. Limited Edition at TAG Heuer these days. Seems the LEs are numbered on the watch, like the Hodinkee Dato, or at least have "One of XXXX" like the 160th watches. Whereas the SEs can be limited in number, but there's nothing on the watch itself to indicate this.

Jim Dollares likes this.
  17. Yago

Yago May 21, 2021

These thing take a lot of time. My AD told me today they already received the window displays of next year’s releases.

18. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member May 21, 2021

I wonder which ones! ;)

thingziliketoo, Mspeedster and Yago like this.
  19. Mspeedster

Mspeedster May 21, 2021

@Hubert, do you know what Le Mans Edition means? 50 years since the movie or is it for the race?

20. MonacoMike

MonacoMike May 21, 2021

Maybe they'll re-release the 50th Anniversary Gulf Edition and just change the car image on the back from a GT40 to a 917K ;)