2019 Baselworld- Predictions & Reactions

I like the closing remarks ! :D

I didn't see that coming from Jeff Stein.

It must have been relatively simple back in 1962, when Jack Heuer decided that the name “Autavia” would now be used for a wrist chronograph. There was no online community of passionate collectors and there were no discussion forums, Facebook groups, Instagram hashtag or other social media. There were no “influencers” to suggest what the rest of us should think of the new Autavia chronographs (or Heuer’s decision to “re-use” the Autavia name). And so Jack Heuer made the decision, and 57 years later, most would agree that it all worked out pretty well for the company.

While I'm not immune to the irony of what I'm about to say, this sums up just about everything that's wrong with watchcollecting (and actually a lot more besides) these days. We all know that if there was just one vintage 3 handed Autavia then that would be justification enough, because as we know 'everything that was decided fifty years ago was unquestionably right!'.

Bottom line, if people don't like them then they won't sell, if they don't sell they'll disappear and order is restored. But what if people do like them? Are they idiots because they don't understand the history of the brand? Judging on the photos I'm not going to like them much, but that view is based on aesthetics rather than history. What would the internet have thought of the Monaco 69 back in the day I wonder?

As for predictions... well, I expect to see another 30+ Carreras because that's pretty much all TAG seem to make at the moment! And maybe a limited edition Kirium to celebrate something or other.;)

This could be CRAZY TALK, but might we see a quartz Aquaracer GMT Pepsi?:confused:

This could be CRAZY TALK, but might we see a quartz Aquaracer GMT Pepsi?:confused:
Naaah they would never release something that epic you think? Would LOVE that

Naaah they would never release something that epic you think? Would LOVE that

Probably not, on the one hand it would sell like hot cakes I'm sure, but on the other hand it would steal some of the Calibre 5 market share. Maybe next year?

Id definitely buy that. Black bezel would be even better.

It must have been relatively simple back in 1962, when Jack Heuer decided that the name “Autavia” would now be used for a wrist chronograph. There was no online community of passionate collectors and there were no discussion forums, Facebook groups, Instagram hashtag or other social media. There were no “influencers” to suggest what the rest of us should think of the new Autavia chronographs (or Heuer’s decision to “re-use” the Autavia name). And so Jack Heuer made the decision, and 57 years later, most would agree that it all worked out pretty well for the company.

While I'm not immune to the irony of what I'm about to say, this sums up just about everything that's wrong with watchcollecting (and actually a lot more besides) these days. We all know that if there was just one vintage 3 handed Autavia then that would be justification enough, because as we know 'everything that was decided fifty years ago was unquestionably right!'.

Bottom line, if people don't like them then they won't sell, if they don't sell they'll disappear and order is restored. But what if people do like them? Are they idiots because they don't understand the history of the brand? Judging on the photos I'm not going to like them much, but that view is based on aesthetics rather than history. What would the internet have thought of the Monaco 69 back in the day I wonder?

As I mentioned in the other thread, the Autavia you'll see in a few days is NOT the Calibre 5/ 7 watch that leaked last year. That prototype will not be turned into a production watch.

As I mentioned in the other thread, the Autavia you'll see in a few days is NOT the Calibre 5/ 7 watch that leaked last year. That prototype will not be turned into a production watch.

Too much negative feedback on the interwebs??

Good news all round then, so does that mean the bronze one is out the window too?

Perfect anti-marketing. “Leaked” photos of this nature do wonders in today’s self-perpetuating social media marketing. Good or bad, it’s being discussed.

Good news all round then, so does that mean the bronze one is out the window too?
I heard there would still be a bronze autavia this year.

I’m getting excited. Hoping it’s something out of left field like a smaller/flatter case design. That would make my year and it’s only March.

I’m getting excited. Hoping it’s something out of left field like a smaller/flatter case design. That would make my year and it’s only March.

I'm hoping to see a version of the 2446 gmt that you prototyped for us last year
Edited:

I'm hoping to see a version of the 2446 gmt that you prototyped for us last year.
Count me in for that too. Red / blue bezels are glorious!

Healthy dose of Autavia buzz in the past week or so. Feels a little bit like something super cool is on its way.

Could be, but I doubt it. I reckon it's more to do with the new management team being on-board since we saw that prototype and looking to put their strategy in place.