Forums Latest Members

2018 TAG Heuer F1 Gulf Special Edition (CAZ101N.FC8243)

1. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jul 1, 2018

Great review!

The beige subdials of the prototype bothered me. So, I am glad they went with the brighter white for production.

Hope to see one of these soon.

Mspeedster likes this.
  2. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 1, 2018

OttoWilliam, Jim Dollares and Hubert like this.
  3. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jul 1, 2018

Thanks guys... just wish I’d grabbed the photos of the final production watch

Jim Dollares and Mspeedster like this.
  4. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 2, 2018

I thought they were quite tame, I've seen a LOT worse...

5. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jul 2, 2018

I know, I know, must be that I am from Sweden, we get offended by everything :rolleyes:

6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 2, 2018

Not surprised, you big blonde jessies!;)

Jim Dollares likes this.
  7. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 4, 2018

Just got it in time to celebrate the 4th of July, in red (mixed with yellow), white & gulf blue! :D

DSCN0513small.JPG DSCN0489small.JPG DSCN0494small.JPG

El Matarife, Hubert and Jim Dollares like this.
  8. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 4, 2018

This is my 3rd F1 watch, but it's been a long time coming. My first (and first TAG Heuer) was the original F1 back in around '89/'90. My second was a third gen F1, from around 2004. But I must say these new current gen F1 watches are very nice in quality, I really like the new case style compared to the older gens.

This watch is everything I expected it to be. The most interesting feature has got to be the strap. It smells like calf leather, but looks unlike any strap I've seen before. The look is alcantara-ish, but it doesn't feel like alcantara or suede, because it's not as soft. I love rally straps, so I'm kind of on the fence on whether I'll change the strap out (saving the original strap) or continue to wear it as is.

A few more shots, plus a bonus pic of my Monaco Gulf enjoying little brother's extremely cool box!

DSCN0516small.JPG DSCN0491small.JPG DSCN0486small.JPG DSCN0499small.JPG

Edited Jul 4, 2018
    Remo, El Matarife, Hubert and 2 others like this.
  9. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 4, 2018

Congratulations on your new watch, I hope you enjoy owning it!:thumbsup:

Remo and Mspeedster like this.
  10. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jul 4, 2018

So damn awesome, big congrats man! Glad to hear it was as great as expected :):):)

Great photos as well!!!

Remo and Mspeedster like this.
  11. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jul 4, 2018

I agree with your opinion on current gen F1, they feel very mature and has a nice feeling of quality to them

Mspeedster likes this.
  12. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jul 4, 2018

Great shots! Congratulations @Mspeedster! Happy 4th!

Mspeedster likes this.
  13. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 7, 2018

I'm enjoying this watch. For fun, I tried on this Monaco strap that I'd been saving as a spare. The F1 has 21mm lugs (very odd size), but the 22mm Monaco strap went on easily after I squeezed the ends a bit.

I think the blue stitching ties in nicely and the black leather also compliments the pushers. I kind of like it, what do you guys think?

IMAG1350edit.jpg

Edited Jul 7, 2018
  14. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jul 7, 2018

I like it!

Mspeedster likes this.
  15. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jul 8, 2018

Looks great! How about a wrist shot?

Mspeedster likes this.
  16. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 8, 2018

Good call, this is my issue with the watch, the pushers should be silver. Putting it on a black strap - it makes sense!

Mspeedster likes this.
  17. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 8, 2018

Here ya go...

IMAG1353edit.jpg
    IMAG1372edit.jpg

I think I'm staying with the black strap for now. I really also like the blue "asphalt" finished strap that the watch comes with, but it's kind of too "loud" for certain occasions. The black strap dresses the watch up a bit, while still keeping it very sporty.

18. El Matarife

El Matarife Jul 11, 2018

I've tried one on too. I love the colours and I love the asphalt leather strap. I hope TAG uses this strap on other models too, AFAIK this is currently the only watch that has it? I would probably swap to a different strap and save the original, until I know I can easily get a replacement if/when it wears out. The only thing I'm unsure about is the layout of the face of the current range of F1 Chronographs. I wish the left and right sub-dials were higher and that the date window didn't interfere with the indices. For the Tachymeter models, I'd also prefer it if the bezel was smooth and didn't have the finger grips of the count-up bezel - which makes it look like it can be turned when it can't :)

Mspeedster likes this.
  19. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 12, 2018

I do believe this is the first and currently only TAG Heuer to sport this new asphalt finish strap. Even if they do bring out other watches with this type of strap, I believe this blue & orange stitching will be unique to the F1 Gulf. The strap seems robust enough, but one down side is the finish can pick up lint particles. So I find myself having to wipe the strap off more often; a minor gripe, and perhaps I'm just OCD about keeping a pristine look as the watch is new.

It's funny that you mentioned the bezel. All of my other F1's had rotatable bezels, but none of my tachymeters do. First thing I tried was to see if the bezel rotated, which it does not. But it looks like it should. OTOH, a TAG Heuer F1 with a smooth bezel would just seem odd (IMHO), given the historical look of all the previous gens.

Jim Dollares and El Matarife like this.
  20. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Aug 13, 2018

Got the call from my AD today, will spend 2h one way in the car on Saturday to go check this beauty out! So excited!!

(Looking myself in the mirror, saying"this is normal behavior, you don't have a problem. Anyone would travel 4h to look at a watch..")

Mspeedster and Remo like this.