Forums Latest Members

2018 TAG Heuer F1 Gulf Special Edition (CAZ101N.FC8243)

1. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Apr 15, 2018

At least two sites are now taking orders for the new F1 Gulf Edition quartz watch. Case is 43mm. The strap is listed as leather/calf. But it doesn't look like leather to me, perhaps it might be alcantara? Priced at around $1800 USD and available around May/June.

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/colle...ronograph-gulf-special-edition-caz101n-fc8243
    https://www.uhrenschmuck24.ch/tag-h...raph-gulf-special-edition-caz101n-fc8243.html

Nice pictures from here: https://www.hassin.co.jp/blog/watch/tag-heuer/20180324-17716/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Apr 15, 2018

Thank you for this post, now I have something to make love to tonight ::bleh::

In those pictures we get a better perspective of what the strap looks like and it looks stunning!

pjs525 and Mspeedster like this.
  3. newquey

newquey Apr 17, 2018

Yes, this leather also works in the Gulf Monaco... ::psy::

4. seisnofe

seisnofe Apr 18, 2018

nice watch
    I don't like the window of date indicator

5. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Apr 21, 2018

Another wrist shot.
    [​IMG]

6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Apr 23, 2018

Just a couple of observations,

1: the blue on the rendering is much nearer 'Gulf' blue and provides a much better contrast with the blue dial. On the photos the blue stripe is barely visible.

2: I know this isn't the first Gulf Formula One, but really, where are the indignant cries of 'Steve McQueen never wore an F1', 'TAG cheapening the Gulf legacy' and so forth...

Mspeedster and marcushogan37 like this.
  7. marcushogan37

marcushogan37 Apr 23, 2018

If you want to be even more cynical you could also add that McQueen never wore Heuers, period! Only reason he wore a Monaco in Le Mans is because it's the only watch that the film crew had three of. Several other drivers wore Heuers too during filming as the company sponsored several of the racing teams. McQueen was apparently an Omega/Rolex man....

8. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Apr 24, 2018

Two very good points. On 1, the blue stripe is off on both the new Gulf Monaco and this new Gulf F1. It should be a lighter shade of blue on both watches. I also agree with point 2. Not only did McQueen not wear an F1 (they didn't exist back then), but I do not believe any F1 car was ever sponsored by Gulf Racing. Certainly no F1 team to my knowledge has worn the famous Gulf livery.

But what the heck, I still dig this watch! LOL

9. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Apr 24, 2018

Since Steve McQueen died five years before the launch of the TAG Heuer Formula 1 there's no way he could have worn it even if he'd wanted to, still we could also say Senna never wore a F1 or a Carrera either...

I'm torn on the blue, it's factually innacurate, but that Gulf blue is actually pretty horrible, so I would take aesthetics over accuracy. Still think they need a better contrast with the main dial, the stripes on the Monaco are perfectly visible.

10. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Apr 24, 2018

It doesn't help that both the dial and the stripes appear to be a matte finish. If the stripes were gloss, it would make them stand out more.

I'm not into really light blues personally either, but Gulf Blue is the signature color for Gulf Racing and should have been more accurate. TAG Heuer got the color right on the previous Gulf F1 and also on the previous Gulf Monaco, so it is a bit disappointing for me that the stripe color is off in these latest iterations.

11. Mspeedster

Mspeedster May 25, 2018

Hubert and Jim Dollares like this.
  12. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares May 25, 2018

Mspeedster likes this.
  13. Jim Dollares

Wonder why they dont post photos of the caseback

14. Lugduno

Lugduno May 25, 2018

Could the answer be that they're not simply "pretty" enough?
    I've tried some F1 watches and their backs have not been too interesting.

15. Jim Dollares

Maybe but they write specifically as a feature that this has a special GULF engraving on the caseback

16. Jim Dollares

Good to see that the blue GULF stripe on the dial is a lot lighter and right than on the first shots from Basel

Mspeedster likes this.
  17. Mspeedster

Mspeedster May 25, 2018

Yes, I hope the actual stripes are the light Gulf blue as shown on the TAG Heuer website pics. I'm also glad to see the USD price is lower than what was shown on some of the earlier Euro websites. Still, $1600 for a quartz F1 watch is pretty pricey.

Jim Dollares likes this.
  18. Jim Dollares

Yeah sure, but there are also a lot of advantages with quartz.

A lot of people think that quartz should be cheap but in reality, is it really that much more expensive for Tag to purchase a basic mass produced Sellita sw200 automatic movement? Is it not that automatic versions should be cheaper?

My guess is no, they dont pay that much for the automatic movement either, just that Swiss marketing has made people believe that mechanical = premium. Is it really more premium with a basic massproduced cheap automatic movement?

And with that said, I love the pictures and colors they have published on the site :thumbsup::)

El Matarife likes this.
  19. Mspeedster

Mspeedster May 26, 2018

It's a cool fun watch. I'm getting one for sure. The only thing I'd wish for is the Gulf logo in place of the "12" at the top.

El Matarife and Jim Dollares like this.
  20. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 26, 2018

Review coming soon...
    XCAZ101N-GULF-wrist_4.jpg FORMULA_1_QUARTZ-_GULF_43MM-XCAZ101N_8957.jpg

VirgileF, Blue Tag, giantrust and 3 others like this.