Forums Latest Members

2015 TAG Heuer Monaco Calibre 11- CAW211P

1. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Apr 11, 2022

Logically the only way the SMQ is getting discontinued is if the H02 Monaco is outselling it by a very good margin... in which case, maybe it's time? There's still thousands and thousands of Heuer branded Monacos pre-owned for people who really want one.

2. McBeardy

McBeardy Apr 11, 2022

Yep the difference isn’t much. Just annoying thicker, crown on the wrong side & non horizontal markers ;) But the movement being ETA/ Sellita is a kick in the teeth at that price point.

thingziliketoo and Mspeedster like this.
  3. RushDom

RushDom Apr 12, 2022

Makes me glad I got a healthy discount on my Calibre 11 that I bought in December…£5800 is a chunk of change for a modular Sellita! On the other hand, it’s by far and away my most accurate watch (+1 second per day) so I have no complaints.

If TH were to replace the CAW211P with H02 powered Heritage piece that had a right hand crown, this would be worthy inspiration…it would be fun to see the return of the grey Monaco.

3DB44102-46A3-4BCC-8753-45D272B83082.jpeg

4. RushDom

RushDom Apr 12, 2022

B2E6FBE9-593C-452E-962F-91F24190A640.jpeg

This thread has reminded me just how much I love this watch…such a unique piece, unlike anything else out there!

5. McBeardy

McBeardy Apr 12, 2022

Do you mean H02 with a left hand crown?

I've heard many have great response with the sellita in accuracy, and some that have had issues.

But even at RRP prior to the 10% increase it was step.

But my god it is good looking.

6. RushDom

RushDom Apr 12, 2022

No, with a right hand crown! I don’t think the re-engineering of the movement is going to be worth it for a single model so I would guess any future heritage inspired Monacos would take inspiration from the slew of right hand crown vintage models as pictured above. The only other feasible approach would be a true recreation of the actual Calibre 11 movement as per Omega and the 321, but I would expect such a piece would be eye wateringly expensive.

I saw your comments on TZ about your deliberation between the Speedy and the Monaco - I had the same choice last year. I went multiple times to view the 3861 Moonwatch in person and always left feeling a bit ‘meh’ - it’s a great watch, but it just didn’t make my heart flutter. I much prefer some of the quirkier Speedy models (the Trilogy 1957 especially…drop dead gorgeous) but sadly most of these have long gone and are hard to find. I doubt I’ll ever spend the £5k plus being asked for a Speedmaster now, but I might be tempted by a MoonSwatch once they are easier to acquire!

If it’s any help, I will say this: I absolutely love the Monaco, and I feel it’s worth every penny I paid. It’s an icon, it’s absolutely beautiful and the quality of the case machining is wonderful - I don’t regret it at all!

Mspeedster, McBeardy and Jim Dollares like this.
  7. McBeardy

McBeardy Apr 12, 2022

Ah I see. For me the crown on the right just doesn't do it. Crown on the left visually much like the Lange 1 & GO PanoLuna's have the weird triangle thing to my eyes (golden ratio) but that could just be me.

Really need to get to a AD that has both and spend some time (longer than 5mins) to weigh up my options.

8. kappa_md

kappa_md Apr 12, 2022

The grey Heuer Monaco is such a nice chronograph also (CAW211B) :thumbsup: ctto
    3319B735-D352-4A0E-BEF7-AEE1C19BFC9A.jpeg

9. Yago

Yago Apr 15, 2022

Spending a week on the Amalfi coast. Spotted a TAG Heuer window in Positano. Blue and black H02 Monacos on bracelet on display. Not up there with the CAW211p at all imo. Just looks like easy wrist bait. None of the watches spoke to me as a matter of fact.

10. RushDom

RushDom Apr 15, 2022

I absolutely prefer the CAW211P, but I do really like the H02 Monaco - to me it feels like a successful modern interpretation of an iconic design (much like the ‘elegant’ Carrera which also looks terrific). It’s much more successful than the new Autavia range which just feels muddled in its influences

11. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Apr 18, 2022

A week on the Amalfi coast, you lucky man.

Yago likes this.
  12. McBeardy

McBeardy Apr 19, 2022

Lovely, went about 12yrs ago, & spotted my first Panerai in the wild out there. Was renting a villa with friends and the landlord wore a Sub, which looked the dogs dangles on him.

Out of interest what is about the modern versions you are not keen on? I tried on the blue/ bracelet version last year, whilst not keen on the dial and rh crown, was impressed with the bracelet which I thought suited it.

13. RushDom

RushDom Apr 19, 2022

I visited the Trafford Centre near Manchester today (one of the largest shopping centres in the U.K.) - none of the ADs had the McQueen Monaco on display. The staff at the TH boutique there also told me that the watch was being discontinued although they did still have a few in stock.

I’m pretty sure CAW211P is dead - RIP!

McBeardy and Mspeedster like this.
  14. McBeardy

McBeardy Apr 19, 2022

All things seem to be pointing that way. Wonder what this will do 2nd hand prices and if those left in store will have discount available?

15. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Apr 19, 2022

I think if and when the watch is "officially" discontinued the second hand market will firm up and discounts at ADs will be less. So the time to act is now my friend. ;)

16. McBeardy

McBeardy Apr 19, 2022

It should've been a few weeks ago when Montredo has it for almost a £1,000 less.

Still 50/50 on the fence I'm afraid, really need to get to an AD which sells the 3861 Speedy also (sacrilege I know)

17. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Apr 19, 2022

The point being, the longer you wait, the less likely it will be to find a good deal on the SMQ. They're not going to get cheaper. Omega also had a similar price bump, but the 3861 moonwatch is here to stay and should be readily available.

Speaking of Omega, I remember when rumors of the First Omega in Space Speedmaster discontinuance started. Seemed like it took around a year before it became a reality. So who knows how long the CAW211P will be around in ADs...

McBeardy likes this.
  18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Apr 20, 2022

I just spoke to someone at TAG and they have not heard that the CAW211P is being discontinued. Also they pointed out it is still in stock on line. Not saying that is definitive, but I asked and that was the answer.

19. RushDom

RushDom Apr 20, 2022

Confusing! Who knows then.

Maybe it will continue as online only? The ADs definitely had no stock, just the new H02 powered variants. No Gulf McQueens either.

20. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Apr 20, 2022

I'm trying to remember if I have seen McQueens in jewellers windows... I'm not sure that I have. Yes, if you go to London, I'm not sure they are commonly stocked in Goldsmiths in smaller cities etc...