2015 TAG Heuer Carrera Panamericana Special Edition Quartz- Ref CV1A10

That looks great. After so many years of Carrera Chronos with the 12-6-9 layout it's great to see a traditional 3-6-9 dial- enjoy

Thank you all...I really do enjoy having this piece... 😉

Edit: I was surprised to find the crystal crowned and raised slightly at the bezel. I guess I am more used to the F1's.
Edited:

Hi everyone, I'm Jasper from the Netherlands and I'm looking into getting my first (and hopefully last) serious watch. I want to get it for a very special day and want to keep and wear it for the rest of my life.
I fell in love with the CV2A1R.B0799 but that one is way over my budget and I have doubts about the durability of an automatic (and the maintanance costs).
Yesterday I found (a picture on the Internet of) the Carrera Panamericana and I thought that it might be the watch for me.
Can you please help me decide? I need some advice also in getting the watch to Europe when I purchase this one (and also I need to get the Taxes for the USA back end pay them in Europe....)
But first: will this watch last for sixty years?

Hi everyone, I'm Jasper from the Netherlands and I'm looking into getting my first (and hopefully last) serious watch. I want to get it for a very special day and want to keep and wear it for the rest of my life.
I fell in love with the CV2A1R.B0799 but that one is way over my budget and I have doubts about the durability of an automatic (and the maintanance costs).
Yesterday I found (a picture on the Internet of) the Carrera Panamericana and I thought that it might be the watch for me.
Can you please help me decide? I need some advice also in getting the watch to Europe when I purchase this one (and also I need to get the Taxes for the USA back end pay them in Europe....)
But first: will this watch last for sixty years?

Hi Jasper...and welcome!

No, I don't think it would be fair to tell you that a quartz watch- any quartz watch- will last 60 years. If that's what you're looking for, you really have to go for a mechanical movement. The issue is that the movements inside a quartz watch can't easily be repaired....and quartz as a technology hasn't been around for 60 years yet.

dc

Hi Jasper...and welcome!

No, I don't think it would be fair to tell you that a quartz watch- any quartz watch- will last 60 years. If that's what you're looking for, you really have to go for a mechanical movement. The issue is that the movements inside a quartz watch can't easily be repaired....and quartz as a technology hasn't been around for 60 years yet.

dc
Hi dc,
Thank you for your reply! So now I know I have to look at mechanical movement and forget about quartz. I still have a month to find the right watch for the right price..
Do you also know anything about buying in the USA and getting taxes back when shipping to Europe? There is a price difference between the USA and Europe that make it interesting to buy in the USA.

Thank you!
Jasper

You seem to be being quite black or white about this Jasper. Whilst a mechanical watch can last 60 years, like anything, for example a car, it depends how well you treat it, service it, and generally look after it. David is right that mechanical watches are more repairable, but we also live in a more disposable world these days, with manufacturers more likely than before to drop in a new movement, or offer you a discuount on a replacement, than repair. There are also unknowns, like future availability of spare parts to consider. So I think it's impossible to recommend you something that is guaranteed to last 60 years.

If cost is the main factor, then quartz could still be a good choice for you, given it's cheaper to buy, and needs less servicing over it's lifetime. If longevity alone is what's important, though, and money less important, then I would agree and say mechanical.

I'm not sure about the Netherlands, but in terms of buying in the USA and shipping to Europe, I have not found of any way to avoid import duty/vat. They way you have to look at USA prices is that they are not fully inclusive and add on 20% or so. Have you considered a lightly used model as opposed to buying new? Check out chrono24.com or watchrecon.com.

As a watch to wear daily, quartz has some advantages, stays ticking for 5-7 years regardless of if you wear it and it's more robust so less chance of damage from vibration or magnetism. Certainly something I would consider for a daily, although when wearing my quartz watch I did lust after an automatic...now I really appreciate its 6 years of flawless service.

Regarding importing, I'd personally strap it to my wrist in the USA and wear it.

Hi imagwai and dtf,
It's going to be my everyday watch.
I'm (almost) forty years old and I'm going to Las Vegas in April to get married. Instead of a weddingring I'm looking for a watch and want to have it engraved with her name and the weddingdate. That's why I want to have a watch that will last the rest of my life.
A lightly used model can work, but why does someone sell a lightly used model? Is there something wrong with it and/or does it need maintenance/repairs (and what will be the extra costs)?

If I can buy a beautiful watch during our stay in Las Vegas I can take it home with me to Europe and have it engraved at home.

But are the Internet shop prices in the USA not fully inclusive and do I need to add 20%, than there will be no advantages for me of buying in the USA ...

There are lots of reasons why someone would sell a lightly used model. Very often, they're watch aficionados like us, looking to change our collections or get the latest model. Sometimes, people do it for financial reasons too. However, I do think that if this is to be a wedding watch, then you should get a new one from an authorized dealer and enjoy the experience of choosing together. As dtf says above, you could simply wear the watch home (and post the empty box). I couldn't possibly condone such actions (but it is very tempting) 😀

imagwai, I couldn't help smiling because of your last sentence

Thank you for your advice! Perhaps Las Vegas has a nice watch for me waiting for when we get there! But a little investigation before is never wrong.
Are there many problems with the day date movement?

How often is maintenance needed (with a calibre 16)?
Also: what are the differences between the 16 and 1887 movement in terms of maintenance/durability? Is it likely that maintenance will be a problem in the future for both versions?

There are more knowledgeable people than me on here when it comes to movements. However, I'm not aware of any specific issues with the day date. Just bear in mind that adding any complication (e.g. date, day/date, chronograph, power reserve, etc.) to a movement means there is potentially more to go wrong - not that it necessarily will, though. Cal 16 and 1887 have both proved very reliable as far as I'm aware. I'm not sure I'd recommend one over the other when it comes to reliability or future maintenance/durability. 1887 is the newer movement of course so it's longer-term reliability has yet to be proved in practice.

Hi imagwai and dtf,
But are the Internet shop prices in the USA not fully inclusive and do I need to add 20%, than there will be no advantages for me of buying in the USA ...

That depends which state the online shop is in and which state/city you are shipping to. I think CA is bad now, but Miami still has no sales tax for online purchases. Sales tax in the USA is a nightmare, the figure on the ticket in stores is pre-tax, so you have to know what the state/county/city taxes are and do some mental arithmetic if you want to know the exact price - generally I assume its about 10% because its easier (and most of the time it doesnt matter too much). Check your hotel prices are inclusive of tax, if not do the maths before as hotel tax can be expensive.

Regarding the calibre 16, i think they are meant to be serviced every 2 years. Expect servicing to be over 350euro, Im not sure of exact prices as mine was done under warranty after I damaged the accuracy (probably cycling).
Edited:

Tag Heuer recommend a maintenance service every 2 years. I think every 5 years is more normal to be honest. I do agree with them, though, that you should have an annual pressure test if taking your watch anywhere near water.

If this is going to be a wedding gift, and something that will symbolize and carry your love vows, then go for something you really like and appreciate, something that you'll enjoy looking at for the rest of your life, regardless of the movement inside.

Yes, there are reliability issues, but we live in a disposable consumable world.

As @imagwai put it, it all depends on how well you take care of your watch. This will decide how long it will live.

If this is going to be a wedding gift, and something that will symbolize and carry your love vows, then go for something you really like and appreciate, something that you'll enjoy looking at for the rest of your life, regardless of the movement inside.

Good point, buy the one that you like most 😀

You (@dtf and @elbeik ) are right!! It's not a simple checklist but it's what you really love and I've fallen for the TAG Heuer CARRERA 100M Calibre 16 Day-Date Automatic Chronograph 43MM