Forums Latest Members
  1. Growl

Growl Apr 2, 2024

I have had a limited edition Monaco Grand Prix 1887 now for a number of years, I can honestly say even though it is the most expensive watch I have ever had, it is the worst! After purchasing it I sent it back to Tag Heuer for a service due to its (very) poor timekeeping and the fact that if it was off my wrist for more than 6 hours it stopped (I am a very active person, the watch definitely gets movement). Tag serviced the watch and it was just as bad. I have just about had enough of it now, I keep trying to get along with it as it's a great looking watch but I've had enough. It is truly terrible! Don't think I have anything else around this value in my life that is such a disappointment. No idea what it is now worth but I feel ripped off.

20240402_180504.jpg 20240402_180517.jpg
  2. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Apr 2, 2024

Not sure what you expect people to respond to this. Majority of members here love TAG Heuer and are happy owners of many many many TAG Heuer watches.

thingziliketoo likes this.
  3. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Apr 2, 2024

What do you consider poor timekeeping?

4. Growl

Growl Apr 2, 2024

Gaining 5 min a day, stopping after 6 hours when not worn, to be fair the timekeeping did improve after being serviced it's now around 30 sec a day, the stopping within a few hours of being worn has not.

Edited Apr 2, 2024
  5. Growl

Growl Apr 2, 2024

I guess I was trying to find out if anyone else had experienced any similar issues, it is my only experience of automatic tag's my wife has a quarts aqua and it is brilliant, my experience both of the watch and UK customer service have been very poor, I have had the watch 7 years, time to sell I think.

6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Apr 2, 2024

Well I keep saying quartz is better but no one wants to hear it.

mattp, Neagu, dtf and 1 other person like this.
  7. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Apr 2, 2024

Shame, its a great looking watch.

8. dtf

dtf Apr 2, 2024

If you’re in the uk, try genesis warchmaking, they were very helpful with my calibre 16 chrono.

Pitfitter446 likes this.
  9. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Apr 2, 2024

5 mins is obviously not on, not sure if 30 secs is within spec or not? Would assume more like 20 seconds per day or something? Can't help thinking it's not so much the watch as the service at fault, obviously mechanical movements need attention every so often, but you do expect them to come back working properly. Have to say, I've had watches come back from TAG not working properly too.

Maybe you'd be better off with a local watchmaker? Obviously you don't want to pay for two services, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet. Would be a shame to part with it, since you clearly still like it and there shouldn't really be anything that's unfixable.

Growl likes this.
  10. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Apr 2, 2024

Doubt that they can/are allowed to service the inside a house miracle named calibre 1887/Heuer 01

Growl and Albert-AMG like this.
  11. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Apr 2, 2024

But.... we know it's a modified Seiko so maybe.

12. Growl

Growl Apr 2, 2024

Thank you

13. Growl

Growl Apr 2, 2024

Does anyone know how easily the winding weight (sorry for my ignorance if this this is the wrong term) should spin on the 1887, mine has always seemed to be slow turning as if damped, my Raymond Weil automatics practically hum with speed sometimes. Thanks for any info.

14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Apr 3, 2024

I don't have an 1887 but the H01 which is an evolution of the 1887 doesn't exactly spin like crazy either...

Growl likes this.
  15. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Apr 3, 2024

I remember that the Heuer 01 which I used to own also had a winding rotor that did not spin much. Can't say how efficient it wound the spring though since I used to wind it by hand a lot, it was silky smooth and very sensual to hand wind

thingziliketoo and Growl like this.
  16. flawless

flawless Apr 3, 2024

I sold one of the Carrera Monaco editions a couple of years ago, and don't remember there being any issues with it - we always check our watches, so it must have been keeping time. The new owner has popped in a few times, and hasn't voiced any issues.

As far as the rotor goes, I don't recall it being significantly different to other automatics - definitely not like the 02.

17. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Apr 3, 2024

I’ve used/recommended Duncan in the past and would use him again.

dtf and Growl like this.
  18. Growl

Growl Apr 3, 2024

Thank you, so are you thinking the rotor should spin freely?, maybe I'm missing something and should be winding my watch - seems odd as I have 4 other (non tag) automatics that wind happily from normal kinetic wrist motion. Regards, Graham.