Forums Latest Members
  1. bpsmith

bpsmith Apr 13, 2023

As per the Other Watches post, I very nearly picked up the older model Tudor Black Bay Burgundy earlier. Was a completely unplanned visit to my local AD and, after me asking about the new version on jubilee bracelet, they mentioned they were selling off the old model as they only had 2 left in the company. They even agreed to adding on a further 15% off and allow 0% finance, to match their online deal which ends today.

Overall, an absolutely superb deal by chance of asking and timing, but after lunch and a pint, I came to the conclusion that although I really like this watch I would be buying it due to the deal rather than holding out for the one that it’s a bit pricier and that I plan to wait longer for.

I honestly can’t remember the last time I bought a big purchase without a good deal, plus I have never bought anything just because of the deal, but this is possibly the best deal I have bartered and then I ended up walking away from it. This is a first for me, but I think it’s down to me wanting to stick to three watches and knowing that this final one needs to be special. I know it’s cliché, but that’s the plan.

It leads me to the question of what your personalities are? Do you always hold out for what you really want or are you swayed by a great deal or something you really like but that isn’t the one you were planning on getting? Or a combination of both at times? Have you ever regretted it, either by buying or not buying?

Edited Apr 13, 2023
    flawless likes this.
  2. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Apr 13, 2023

The best watch deal I ever made was the H01 at about 50% discount. Ended up selling it. Learnt that a great deal alone isn't enough to convince the heart to love a watch. My latest purchase, the Aquaracer, I was longing after for a long time and I bought it without getting a specially good deal because I knew it is worth paying a little more to get the one you actually truly want.

flawless and bpsmith like this.
  3. bpsmith

bpsmith Apr 13, 2023

This deal was about 36% off. I think the more I pushed the deal, the less I wanted it, in a perverse sort of way. That’s even though I do really like it. Doh!

Edited Apr 13, 2023
    Jim Dollares likes this.
  4. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Apr 13, 2023

So, will this one be your next watch?

[​IMG]

Pitfitter446 likes this.
  5. YG_Rulz

YG_Rulz Apr 13, 2023

I'm a mix of the two. I have a specific list of things to buy, but sometimes buy based on the deal. Last year I ended up buying the C11 Monaco Gulf, which I thought I'd never buy, just because it was a 2022 model at a 40% discount. The longest I've held off was 2 years for the Monaco Historique (CBL2114) till I managed to find one at a 30% discount.

bpsmith likes this.
  6. bpsmith

bpsmith Apr 13, 2023

That’s the one I asked about, but clearly not in store yet. The jubilee bracelet looks much better and would allegedly fit this model too.

I think today has shown me that this isn’t the watch for me, despite how good I think it looks.

7. bpsmith

bpsmith Apr 13, 2023

Some fantastic deals there, fair play. I think that is going to be my plan now. Get a list of those which properly excite me, then keep an eye out for the right deal. Definitely the best way forward.

YG_Rulz likes this.
  8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Apr 13, 2023

I've seen the camo Aquaracer at 50% off and still didn't buy it, even though I think it's really cool. I've learned that a good deal doesn't make a special purchase. I could honestly say that my titanium Calibre 16 Carrera was at least partly bought because it was 40% off. I like it, but it's the least favourite of my 4 Carreras. Don't tell the wife as it was a 50th birthday present.

Kevin Henry and bpsmith like this.
  9. bpsmith

bpsmith Apr 13, 2023

That is a very cool one in fairness, but I hear you in your reasoning. Glad that I am not alone in this way of thinking, so appreciate people telling how it is, thanks all.

Aquagraph likes this.
  10. dtf

dtf Apr 14, 2023

I decide what I want to buy, then find the best deal, then decide if I can afford it. I think the only watch I have paid rrp for is my bb58, which I think was worth it because it was in stock and with me next day. The best deal was my full black aquaracer, at roughly 48% discount in an outlet.

Aquagraph and bpsmith like this.
  11. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Apr 14, 2023

I often see stuff I like and then look/wait for a deal, can’t remember last time I paid retail.

Oh wait, it was my new turntable and cartridge, but, I did get a phenomenal discount on the phonostage.

bpsmith likes this.
  12. flawless

flawless Apr 14, 2023

I'll always try and get a deal, and like you there are things I've seen a great deal on but decided against because I'd just be buying it for the % off and not because I actually wanted that watch.

I've had some incredible finds - notably my Heuer Valjoux 61 pocket watch, but I also picked up my Link Calibre 36 for a great price on WatchFinder as it was being reduced little by little. I bought a WAK2180 PVD Aquaracer for my brother through work a couple of years ago, and got that for a fantastic price. I'm on the hunt for a decently priced CBE2111 at the moment.

Outside of watches, I'll always keep my eyes open - I've worked in the second-hand buying/reselling markets for over a decade, so it's natural.

bpsmith likes this.
  13. imagwai

imagwai Apr 14, 2023

I think a mixture of both. There have been watch purchases that have been planned for months and the best deal sought out. Equally, there have been those that took me by surprise and were purchased suddenly and unexpectedly. I don't really think I'd say one approach has a better chance for long-term success than the other. It all depends on the watch itself I guess.

dtf and bpsmith like this.
  14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Apr 18, 2023

And it all goes out of the window anyway when it's a limited edition

bpsmith likes this.
  15. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Apr 18, 2023

Good point

16. bpsmith

bpsmith Apr 18, 2023

Brilliant. :)

17. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Apr 18, 2023

Personally I am gonna pay full retail for the green Aquaracer. I want it from the TAG boutique. I don't wanna miss out this time and I don't want to buy from some ropey grey dealer to save £400.

18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Apr 18, 2023

Sure I'd love to save £400, I'm not made of money, but... this way I have zero doubts and zero regrets

Pitfitter446 likes this.
  19. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Apr 18, 2023

I'm wondering if the black rubber from the two tone will fit the green AR... and would it look okay?

20. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Apr 18, 2023

Grey market is for poor people who cant spend that extra 400.

Would look great I think