Forums Latest Members
  1. Wastelanderuk

Wastelanderuk Jan 6, 2016

Hi All,

first thread so please be gentle and all that ;)

I've never been a prestige watch guy but with my recent purchase of a TAG Connected my interest has been piqued and I find myself being drawn to the possibility of adding a mechanical TAG to go alongside my new purchase and I find the aesthetics of the Monaco particularly appealing...but the question that remains is which one?

Assuming all things being equal regards condition, box/papers, service records etc. there doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference pricewise in the used marketplace between the CW2113 Calibre 17 model and it's replacement CAW2111 Calibre 12 variation with the exception of a premium for very recently made examples.

I've done a little research and although many forums/web pages indicate the differences between the two, I've yet to see any advice on choosing one version over another.

I guess the simple question is - if any of the experienced forum members were in the market for a Monaco and had a straight choice between the two models, which would they chose and more importantly why?

Thanks in advance,

Rik

2. AussieAlex

AussieAlex Jan 7, 2016

I own a CW2113. My advice is to buy based on condition. They're both great watches, buy the best one you can find for the price.
    If price isn't a big concern, take a look at the new CAW211P. If price is no concern, get the real thing; a vintage 1133B

Wastelanderuk likes this.
  3. Wastelanderuk

Wastelanderuk Jan 7, 2016

That, sadly, is not going to happen! I'm actually not a fan of the hour markers on the original/reissues either...am I allowed to say that? :whistling:

4. elbeik

elbeik Jan 7, 2016

Mine is a CAW2111, calibre 12.
    I bought it on an impulse but it grew on me; I particularly like it as a subtle modern rendition of the original, and the fact the hour markers are centric and not horizontal.
    Purists may not appreciate it as the other versions though.

5. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 9, 2016

I have the Calibre 17 version with the plexi glass and have to admit looking enviously at the Calibre 12 McQueen model- if it was between those two, I would go for the Calibre 12.

However, I agree with @AussieAlex that the new CAW211P is the pick of the lot

Wastelanderuk likes this.
  6. Wastelanderuk

Wastelanderuk Jan 15, 2016

Cheers for the input guys. As always, something else always pops up to make you think again and after taking a good look at the Carrera 1887 in titanium with black, a bit of searching revealed model ref WW2119.FC6338 - a Calibre 6 Monaco in black with a touch of red contrast and matching leather strap.
    WW2119FC6338.jpg
    Have they ever produced a chrono version in a similar colour scheme? I have a thing for black with red!

Thanks in advance

dtf and Telemeter like this.
  7. Telemeter

Telemeter Jan 15, 2016

[​IMG]

The Automobile club de Monaco Special Edition (aka Caliber 12 ACM) CAW211M

The colouring was actually described as 'orange' I never saw it in person and online pictures seem to show it varying between orange and red. It also doesn't have the coloured 'Automatic' accent of the subdial seconds.

I did see the Caliber 6 when it was current, the colouring on the strap in particular is stunning in real life, with thered showing through the perforations differently depending on the angle. Also I have very slim wrists, my limit in an automatic is normally 39mm, but the chronograph Monaco wears bigger than it's size, have you tried some on in the metal?

8. Wastelanderuk

Thanks @Telemeter - I did see the CAW211M and although it's close, it's not quite what I'm after - if only some of the script was red with the red sub-dial hands.

A chrono isn't essential, but it would be nice. I'm going to pop along to an AD and take a peek today.

I currently have a Connected @46mm plus lugs and crown which fits me comfortably so I can't see size being an issue.

9. Wastelanderuk

Actually this could be exactly what I'm looking for...just hope that one is available in the not too distant future when I'm in a position to buy. It's just sooooooo typical of me to like something that's rarer than hen's teeth - only 250 made :(

CAW2119.FC6289

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 19.06.39.png

10. AussieAlex

AussieAlex Jan 16, 2016

That CAW2119 looks good, but I prefer this one. Unfortunately, it's even rarer - only 55 made:

[​IMG]

Wastelanderuk and imagwai like this.
  11. Wastelanderuk

Wastelanderuk Jan 16, 2016

Now that's not playing fair...:(

But I did find this less exclusive version with an identical colour scheme and there do seem to be a few around Europe (an excuse for a road trip on the Triumph!) Screen Shot 2016-01-16 at 11.36.24.png
    A quick change of the band to black leather with red detailing...?

Edited Jan 16, 2016
    AussieAlex likes this.