Forums Latest Members
  1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 19, 2015

When I wrote the history of the S/el a couple of week ago I couldn't help but think about today's Link series. The S/el/ Link used to be an absolute core part of the TAG Heuer range- one of the bestsellers in the pre-Carrera days.

We had limited edition models and a high-end Calibre 36 model too.

But now? Seems to have faded a little? Is the Link being held back by having its designed dictated by the bracelet? What would you do with the Link series? Modify and improve...or time to say good-bye?

2. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2015

I think the link is a bit of a contradiction from my perspective as when I think TAG Heuer I think chronographs and motorsport and Finnish racing drivers that miss the podium presentation while taking a shit out back (Always gotta love Kimi :) )

Then the Link, which is marketed as a golf watch makes me think of old people with grey hair in electric buggies with long socks and garters. It just feels very un-TAG Heuer to me, like I almost expect a Golfer to be wearing a 1980s Datejust two-tone.

The S/EL on the other hand I always thought was cool and when it came out it had a really unique, modern youthful / tribal kind of look to it especially the bracelet, it wasn't an old man's watch. I only just realised reading your post that the S/EL and Link were related as I saw them as almost polar opposites in terms of how I looked at them.

But yea Links always looked cool, but the whole golf watch thing put me off, as to me golf is just a lot of walking and sunburn.