Yago May 6, 2022

Posted it over on WRUW

Hubert likes this.
  6. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member May 6, 2022

Yago likes this.
  7. McBeardy

McBeardy May 6, 2022

Managed to find myself at Bluewater earlier with a few hours by myself, so natural I navigated to the watch shops.

Managed to spend some time at Tag (part of Beaverbrooks) whilst also at Omega, M&W to look at some Rolex and also Chisholm Hunters for Nomos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After being torn between the Monaco & Speedy for a while, with the Monaco being more in the forefront, today it felt a bit flat, fit was great, still think stunning looking, but something not speaking to me today (maybe the fact covered in the protective wrapping so couldn't use and the plain strap). The 200m Aquaracer Professional still sings to me, apart from 'that bracelet' PCL & no micro is a no for me. The 300m Aquaracer is lovely, & I even enjoy the internal cyclops. Only downside is the size, borderline on L2L for me (oh I wish is was 41/40 mm).

Quick stop to CH to look at Nomos

[​IMG] realised 36mm to small for me and the long lugs create a case to strap gap that is huuuuuuge, 38mm better but still a gap, enough to bug me, shame as I brand I really want to like & own.

Goldsmiths next to enquiry about the Tudor fabric strap for my BB58, also looked at Oris, come away feeling meh, quality just didn't feel there.

[​IMG]

Omega next and the Speedy, finally a chance to use one without the protective wrapping, my oh my, came away feeling this is now the front runner. Only downside 50m WR (+25% extra according to RJB on Fratello) enough for bath time with the little one and occasional swimming - I don't know, also doesn't look as cool as the Monaco (but did feel a bit more premium).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lastly M&W and this was only to see how a 36mm OP felt, not much a fan of the games Rolex play, but more curious on how the wear, must admit 36mm OP much nicer fit than the Nomos Club 36mm (damn that oyster case), black OP nice, sales assistant then mentioned the Explorer 1 also - now I must add one watch I could never see the fuss about, not a fan of the partial numerals (missing 12 bugs me), but I was blown away by it, size, fit, looks, pictures make it appear smaller but on wrist very nice. Now this has become a 3 horse race, with 2 slowly pulling away from 1.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now my local AD has both the Monaco and Speedy and Aquaracer 200m in for me to spend some time with next week, will make a difference having them all in the same place to view.

8. Mspeedster

Mspeedster May 6, 2022

Enjoy the journey, you can't really go wrong with either the Monaco or the Speedy IMHO.

But the plastic wrap might have hindered your appreciation of the Monaco. I find that's the case when I look at watches, they really need to have the plastic wrap off to be fully appreciated.

I recently did some browsing as well and I enjoyed trying on the Titanium Aquaracer more than the Night Diver for exactly that reason.
    20220505_095209.jpg

McBeardy and dtf like this.
  9. Yago

Yago May 6, 2022

Fun way to kill a few hours :thumbsup:
    I agree about Nomos. I always like the pictures but on the wrist they don’t speak to me.
    40mm AR looking good. Montredo now have them at 1900 euro.
    36mm oysters look good don’t they. Size on paper doesn’t tell you much. A 41mm oyster looks huge. I tried on a 40mm Breguet the other day that looked like a 43mm.

dtf and OttoWilliam like this.
  10. dtf

dtf May 6, 2022

The speed master does grab at the heart the first time you try one on. How did you find the size of the explorer compared to the aquaracers or your bb58? I was planning on buying a 39mm explorer, but they discontinued them.

11. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares May 7, 2022

Amen brother!

12. McBeardy

McBeardy May 7, 2022

Thanks, yes the journey is good if not slightly frustrating in being indecisive in which one.

Mspeedster likes this.
  13. McBeardy

McBeardy May 7, 2022

Indeed only the Club range appeals to me, good VFM as well.

Correct the size of the Rolex 36mm was great. Not so much the 36mm Nomos.

The 41mm OPs are odd look so big as all dial. Definitely suited to the smaller size.

14. McBeardy

McBeardy May 7, 2022

The 36mm felt svelte compared to the BB58, to the point the BB58 felt big.

The 200m Aquaracer felt so similar to the BB58 which isn’t surprising,

I was more surprised by the 300m Aquaracer, just wish smaller.

Speedy wears smaller than the size suggested. But the 36mm Explorer was great. Can imagine the 39mm slightly too big

dtf likes this.
  15. RushDom

RushDom May 7, 2022

@McBeardy, only you can make the final choice but (as you know) I think the Monaco is just awesome. I love wearing it. There really is nothing else like it.

Get the Monaco and then a Dan Henry 1962/Bulova Lunar Pilot to fulfil any Speedy cravings you still have! :)

McBeardy and Mspeedster like this.
  16. Mspeedster

Mspeedster May 7, 2022

You've been torn between these two for a long time now. I suspect whichever one you choose you'll be very happy with, but if you're like most of us, you'll still eventually want the other sooner or later. They're just so different from one another and each is an icon in its own right.

thingziliketoo, McBeardy and RushDom like this.
  17. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam May 9, 2022

Interestingly. I also felt the same way about Nomos. Surely they are beautiful watch no doubt about it. But on the wrist it's another matter. At least for me.

But know what really bothers me ? Longines. Gosh, i thought the Longines Legend Diver will be a keeper for me and i actually got it from my best friend living different city from me. Apparently he really love it but doesn't work on his wrist. So i was thinking what an opportunity. Lets do this. Little did i know when i received it and tried it on my wrist...man...i don't think it wears well. My prime suspect was the long lugs (longines = longlugs. No pun intended).

18. McBeardy

McBeardy May 9, 2022

I know and I think thats part of the issue.

You are probably right, money no issue I'd have both.

Think I need time with both to decide, but also damn that Explorer.

dtf and Mspeedster like this.
  19. McBeardy

McBeardy May 9, 2022

Ha thanks.

Not keen on quartz unfortunately even mechaquartz. The Bulova does look good mind you, if not a tad big

20. McBeardy

McBeardy May 9, 2022

I've read that about Logines as well. Shame as they are bringing out some heavy hitters which are great VFM, but long lugs. Heard Hamilton has the same issue. Shame as I like the Murph they made.

OttoWilliam likes this.