Forums Latest Members
  1. bpsmith

bpsmith Oct 29, 2022

I have certainly got hooked in watches over a very short length of time, although you wouldn’t know that looking at my luxury watch collection of just one.

Still thinking hard about my next one, as so many that draw my eye, but am just interested in the experience of others who have a bigger collection.

As you buy each one, does the pleasure diminish that little bit each time or is it the same every time?

How long does that feeling last until you’re looking at the next one?

Do you feel happier with buying more expensive, but less often, or cheaper and more often?

Which of your purchases do you enjoy the most, more expensive or cheaper end?

2. imagwai

imagwai Oct 29, 2022

You asked a bunch there. I only ever intended to buy one, nice watch for my 40th birthday. But of course I researched so much looking for the "perfect" watch that I continued looking and got sucked in to a new hobby by accident. I have bought and sold over 60 watches over the past 10 years but have settled on 8 as the maximum number to have in the collection (number of slots in my watch box). Any more, and I find I can't wear them all enough and there is too much redundancy with some pieces not getting enough wear. Each watch has to justify it's inclusion then to some degree, either through being special or unique in some way, or filling a niche.
    No, you still get excited when you open a box and spy the shiny thing inside.
    It depends on the watch. Sometimes the feeling is short-lived when you realise you don't like it as much as you thought. The best is when you like it even more and wear it for months.
    Quality over quanity describes it best for me.
    It's not the cost so much as the quality of the watch that makes the difference. I have had plenty of pleasure from less expensive watches like my Squale.

Of course, this is a very personal perspective - we're all different.

3. bpsmith

bpsmith Oct 29, 2022

Thanks for your opening response.

I think we are very similar in our opinions, as it’s all about the quality for me too. This does come with price generally, to a point, although there are clearly examples which buck the trend.

I also planned to buy a single watch which fit every criteria, but the research proved that to be an impossibility, for me at least. I don’t plan to go as high as 8 watches, but ask me again in a few years.

I kind of played it safe in my first one, as ended up getting the Seamaster 300M Diver in Black, so it matches pretty much every attire, but thinking of getting something more fun next, just for the hell of it. The problem is, I keep getting drawn to more classic styles now, which is the opposite of where I started!

thingziliketoo likes this.
  4. kappa_md

kappa_md Oct 29, 2022

My watch journey started way back when I was a kid. Loyalty, love of history/motorsports and passion for the brand kick-started my watch collection specifically TAG Heuer collection. I have common watches and have not so common ones. They all have a place in the collection. They represent something which is important to me and values that I hold dear. I don’t see one better just because it is more expensive than the others. I don’t intend to sell anyway so it doesn’t matter to me. You only think of your watch as cheap/expensive if you plan to sell them right? Like in a family, there are those who are better off and those not so much, there are those who have different characters and different traits which they bring to the family. Admittedly some watches have more wrist time more than others but doesn’t mean I don’t like those I don’t wear very often. The collection speaks about the collector. And although each watch is different, a certain bond brings unity and cohesiveness to the whole collection.

And yes each one brings contentment and happiness.

thingziliketoo, Anthony.R and bpsmith like this.
  5. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Oct 29, 2022

Great question. Personally speaking I think there is a case of diminishing returns, particularly when 'collecting' rather than 'buying'. Honestly by the time the 15th plastic F1 turned up I was like.... ho hum. But, buying expensive watches is a different matter. I feel like, I heard people say don't buy lots of cheaper watches because eventually you will want to sell them and buy fewer more expensive ones and I thought 'no no, won't happen to me'. Of course this is now exactly what's happening. Though I still feel most comfortable operating in the sub £3000 range. Fortunately there's plenty of pre-owned at that level.

thingziliketoo, imagwai and bpsmith like this.
  6. bpsmith

bpsmith Oct 29, 2022

That’s kind of where I am at. Anything over £1,000 is what I class as being something I really need to consider before jumping into, although £5,000-£6,000 is probably what I would call my top end.

There are a few I like which are sub £3,000, with some around £1,500, but I am trying to stop myself ending up with a few in the lower range when I could have got that one more expensive one that I also like.

Don’t get me wrong, I won’t buy for the sake of it and will be sure I want to get before I buy, but I am wondering whether having more of a variation is actually better than all eggs in one basket.

7. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Oct 29, 2022

What I've realised.... is that you only have one wrist. Well, not strictly true but you know what I mean. I've sold ten watches this year and I still have nearly 50. I want to get it down to half that, but it's hard to sell things you've chased.

8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Oct 29, 2022

I think a lot of people probably collect until they find one that they want to wear all the time and then they start reassessing the idea of collecting. Probably the BB58 (being the perfect watch, allegedly) is one such watch.

imagwai and RushDom like this.
  9. bpsmith

bpsmith Oct 29, 2022

There’s no doubt that I am a collector at heart. I also love the chase. That combination can be difficult at times.

Agree with all of your points.

Aquagraph likes this.
  10. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Oct 29, 2022

If I had my time again I would definitely be more selective

Hubert and bpsmith like this.
  11. bpsmith

bpsmith Oct 29, 2022

The problem is if you’re too selective then sometimes you can miss out.

Case in point for me is that I was too indecisive on the Quartz Night Diver at Bicester this week, only for it to be sold and now I know I should have bought it.

12. imagwai

imagwai Oct 29, 2022

The other thing to bear in mind is that tastes can and do change over time. I've bought watches I thought were ugly when I first started (example is the Speedmaster). Likewise, some watches I lusted after now look dated. Best to be open to it - some watches can certainly grow on you.

What has remained with me through all this is the perfect case and lugs of the 1960s Carrera, which looks superb whether deployed on vintage or modern TAG.

13. bpsmith

bpsmith Oct 29, 2022

I can understand that. I have noticed that from the past year since I bought my Seamaster. I didn’t even entertain a Speedmaster at the time. Likewise I didn’t check out the Navitimer or Chronomat when also looking at the Superocean Heritage II. Now I really like those too.

I also like the Carrera Skeleton models too, but I do wonder whether those will date quickly or whether they will be more retro in their appeal over time. I plan to keep whatever I buy, so resale isn’t the consideration, but more whether I am likely to fall out of love with it.

14. Anthony.R

Anthony.R Oct 29, 2022

I'm like this with my stopwatches.
    I have over 60 Vintage Heuer pieces but still I can't stop myself from buying more. And I don't wear them. They just sit in my display cabinet collecting dust.
    I'm sure the day will come that I sell the whole lot.
    I've actually thought about selling most of my watches to reduce to a 4 or 5 watch collection.
    The problem being which to sell and to keep.

15. abrod520

abrod520 Oct 29, 2022

Oh boy Jim is gonna have a field day with that thread title :D ::popcorn::

16. imagwai

imagwai Oct 29, 2022

Afraid to say they look dated to me already. That's the trouble with a lot of TAG's "Avant Garde" stuff.

bpsmith likes this.
  17. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Oct 29, 2022

Cheers bromigo, its like you can read my mind

813E80D4-A629-42D6-9020-7712D93EADB3.jpeg

thingziliketoo, Hubert, dtf and 2 others like this.
  18. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Oct 29, 2022

Trying to resist the urge to talk more about my watch pleasures and focus on the actual questions.

For me price has nothing to do with how much pleasure I get from the watch. Getting a new watch, that same day I am online drooling over other potential pieces.

The BB58 kinda killed it for me in a way cause no watch seems as good. But, good thing is that now when I have the perfect do it all kind of piece, I'm allowing myself to explore more niche fetisches like yellow gold plating, gem biiizels and rainbow colours. Now I want more fun, weekend and crazy nights kind of watches.

Remember that you need to prioritise your money. Watches should always have a high prio in your budget. And don't let shit get in the way of building that watch collection. Admiring, playing with, hand winding, touching and enjoying these watches simply make life so much better. Sometimes a small thing like putting your watch on mesh can change your world and your whole perspective of that watch.

Good luck with your future addiction, and even if Omiiiiga is nice and all we hope that you get a TAG next time.

19. bpsmith

bpsmith Oct 29, 2022

It was Seamaster vs Aquaracer the first time around. Still hankering after an Aquaracer, but the net has widened to Carrera too now. In saying that, the CBN2A5A.FC6481 was almost purchased before the Seamaster. Still love that tbh.

Part of my criteria for the next one is an adjustable clasp, as use that a lot on the Seamaster. Literally multiple times per day, so that’s spoilt some bracelets for me now. Probably aiming for an alligator strap, like the Carrera mentioned, as love the look of them and can slide the strap to adjust fitment.

I also admire the BB58, but shyed away as seemed like there are a lot of them around as so popular so quickly. I did toy with the BB Ceramic, but didn’t want to wait without actually seeing one on the wrist. The Pelagos is also something I really like. Would be a blue one though, possibly even the FXD.

dtf likes this.
  20. imagwai

imagwai Oct 29, 2022

The only thing that stopped me buying an FXD was the fixed lugs. That said, I only seem to wear my BB58 blue on a NATO these days.

The new Tudors have adjustable bracelet clasps (BB Pro and the new Ranger). I gather the Ranger strap will fit the BB58 so possibly looking to pick one up at some point since the original never fitted me very well. No faux rivets either which is a bonus.

Going back to what you said about the Seamaster vs Aquaracer, you definitely chose the better watch. The Carrera is the most original Heuer/TAG Heuer in my opinion. The Aquaracer has always been a bit of a Sub wannabe. Heuer is known for it's racing heritage.

bpsmith likes this.