Forums Latest Members

Watch Service Before and After: TAG Heuer Carrera Mother of Pearl Limited Edition CV201K

1. PlogTinTin

PlogTinTin Jul 20, 2023

Hi everyone.

My Tag Heuer Carrera was in for a Spa treatment a couple of days ago.
    Together with the service center I have documented some before and after shots of the service that might be of interest.

The Carrera in question is Reference: CV201K
    This version has a black Tahitian Mother Of Pearl Dial, Black Ceramic bezel and is a Japan limited edition of 600 pcs. The movement is calibre 16 (ETA 7750).

The Mother Of Pearl is really nice on this dial as its color change is quite extreme. From monochrome to bursts of pink and green.
    IMG_0369.jpeg

While subjectively keeping good time (haven’t noticed any major deviations), I wanted to check the condition of the watch on a timegrapher and get an overall sense of its performance.

On the timegrapher we can see that it is running -2 seconds per day with a low beat error. However, the amplitude is quite low for being fully wound.

IMG_0376.jpeg

Next steps is to start disassembling the watch and movement.
    The dial is in great shape although a bit dusty. We use a blower to carefully remove all dust on the dial.
    IMG_0385.jpeg

Calibre 16 (ETA7750) in pieces with a new mainspring ready to be installed.
    IMG_0386.jpeg

The quickset date wheel.
    IMG_0387.jpeg
    IMG_0388.jpeg IMG_0389.jpeg IMG_0390.jpeg IMG_0391.jpeg IMG_0392.jpeg IMG_0393.jpeg IMG_0394.jpeg

Watch is assembled again and goes on the timegrapher to check the performance. It started up with +5 seconds a day, 0.0 beat error and approx 300 in amplitude.

After some fine-tuning and letting the watch settle a bit it’s now at +2 seconds with approx 310 amplitude.
    The 7750 movements are a favorite of mine. A no frills movement that is easy to work on and has pretty good performance.

IMG_0400.jpeg

Ready to be worn again as a daily driver.
    IMG_7290.jpeg

2. Jemagloh

Jemagloh Jul 20, 2023

Beautiful piece, and great post!

3. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 21, 2023

Thanks for sharing, fascinating to see all the parts laid out like that...

4. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jul 21, 2023

One shall not under estimate some good ol' ETA movements :thumbsup: would this had been "in house" you woulda needed to ship it and wait X months to have it back.

PlogTinTin likes this.
  5. 99LinkEd

99LinkEd Jul 21, 2023

Nice work! Love the black mother of pearl. Glad Tag and other watchmakers use it upon occasion.

PlogTinTin likes this.
  6. PlogTinTin

PlogTinTin Jul 23, 2023

Exactly! :)

I agree, always nice with some uniqueness on the dial.