Watch manufacturer volumes- Morgan Stanley

Just listened to latest episode of 'Time to Unwind' podcast, they interviewed Mike France who says that Christopher Ward increased sales with 30% in their last FY (Apr-Mar). I suppose since they are e-commerce only, they have benefited a lot from the pandemic. Just found this interesting.

Interesting. CW is super active online, I get tons of ads. I was checking out that C65 the other day. Looks great, the price makes it look even better ;)

2BB09AE4-77D1-4FAF-9FC6-1F47468AD776.jpeg

Got CW's new magazine through the post today. I think their design language is more consistent and recognisable across their range of watches these days. But there are still a few homage pieces, like their Polar Explorer II look-a-like (below), and overall I can't say there's a huge amount in their catalogue that I find hugely desirable.
C63-39AGM3-S00W0-B0_Picture_2.jpg

I don't know what exactly it is that visually separates the microbrands from the big league watch companies, but whatever it is CW don't have it.

I don't know what exactly it is that visually separates the microbrands from the big league watch companies, but whatever it is CW don't have it.

I agree. CW doesn't do anything for me. It isn't as though their watchs are offensive but they aren't really offering anything different or new or innovative.

In terms of micro-brands, I have had my eye on this:

cover-full-1024_1200x1200.jpg

I think it is currently sold out though and I am wary of reports from others about micro-brand experiences which always stops me taking the plunge and buying.

I feel buying a microbrand is like loaning someone money. If you are doing it and it makes you feel good - do it. If you are looking to possibly get your money back, be prepared as that may not happen. As long as your buying for fun of the hobby and can overlook the possible downsides you will have a good experience. I've come to the point where they may have some cool designs - I'd rather put my money towards a name Swiss or Japanese brand new or used.

I've come to the point where they may have some cool designs - I'd rather put my money towards a name Swiss or Japanese brand new or used.

I think that is where I am at too.

Got CW's new magazine through the post today.
Awesome, hopefully I get it soon too :thumbsup:

For me there is easily a handful of watches I would love to own from CW. I think their designs are super and like that they can be a little more daring in their designs and colour choices.

I agree. CW doesn't do anything for me. It isn't as though their watchs are offensive but they aren't really offering anything different or new or innovative.

I think it is currently sold out though and I am wary of reports from others about micro-brand experiences which always stops me taking the plunge and buying.
This could use a few stars on the dial

I think the one thing microbrands struggle with (and I include Christopher Ward in this) is that every single one of them has a shitty logo. Why is it so hard to come up with a quality looking logo?

I think the one thing microbrands struggle with (and I include Christopher Ward in this) is that every single one of them has a shitty logo. Why is it so hard to come up with a quality looking logo?

Logo design costs money, lots of it, especially to go through multiple iterations with a designer. I expect most have an idea, get it designed once and then stick with it.

Logo design costs money, lots of it, especially to go through multiple iterations with a designer. I expect most have an idea, get it designed once and then stick with it.

But why do they all look like they've all been designed by the same person, in about 5 minutes

That 'R' looks like it belongs on a Honda Civic, not a watch

But why do they all look like they've all been designed by the same person, in about 5 minutes

Because the client doesn't want to pay to much when they are in the start-up phase of their business!

Because the client doesn't want to pay to much when they are in the start-up phase of their business!

False economy though, because it looks shit and puts people off.

Microbrand logos seem to fall into two categories, either the 'super modern' like that 'R' or the we dont' really care and we've just used 'Times New Roman'. Christopher Ward apparently used some font from the London Underground or something (I forget)... and it looks like it.

I think you are being over critical. All businesses mature with time.