Forums Latest Members

Watch experience with iOS vs Android phone

1. gmetrail

gmetrail Apr 16, 2019

While not fully scientifically, I wanted to share a recent experience. I own a Connected 41 and have been using it with an Android phone (Essential Phone with Android 9). I consistently had over 30% battery at the end of a normal (long) day. I normally use the default Tag faces or the MS Outlook face.

As I looked at changing my phone, I decided to give the iPhone XS a try. Not only is the integration between the watch and the phone lacking behind (this is well documented in other places, including on the WearOS site), I also has significant connectivity problems and often had to go to the WearOS app to reconnect my watch. But even more annoying, I was barely making it through a full day with the same settings on the Watch as before (always on, GPS, NFC, ...). On top of that, many of the Watch apps require the Android app to work, and this was especially visible with the MS Outlook watch face.

I then gave the Google Pixel 3 phone a try, and outside of the obvious fact that I have all the features working again, I am noticing the battery life in the 40% range at the end of the day with the same settings.

Is this an experience others have had?

Gérard

2. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Apr 21, 2019

Hi Gérard!

I have only used my TH CM45 with one mobile phone (iPhone X), so I can’t compare vs how it works with an android phone. I never had serious connectivity problems before, but since System H update in the watch, connectivity is perfect: 100% reliable all day, very easy and quick to connect, and quickly and automatically reconnecting again (this was harder before System H) if connection was lost because of too much distance between both devices.

About battery life, it has also improved since System H was installed. I use also screen always on, GPS on (but NFC off), with WatchMaker faces fully detailed all day (not dimmed esqueletons as the default TH faces, but higher battery consumption), and battery is around at 35-50% after 11hours depending on the WM face... so it should be even better with the default TH faces.

Good Bluetooth connectivity helps battery life, and it seems there’s something not properly working between your watch and your iPhone.
    Do you have System H installed in your watch?
    Do you restart both devices quite often? When the device is not completely switched off after several days (not just flight mode), then Bluetooth doesn’t work properly. I switch off my watch every night, and my iPhone every 2-3 days.

3. gmetrail

gmetrail Apr 21, 2019

Yes, I did run the latest System H, and did restart both the phone on a regular basis to figure out if there was a problem there. The iPhone XS Max was also on the latest iOS with the latest WearOS app. As I no longer have an iPhone, I won't have much more details going forward

4. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Apr 22, 2019

Then I don’t understand why you had those connectivity problems between your TH CM41 and your iPhone XS Max, when the connection between my TH CM45 and my iPhone X is perfect... maybe your iPhone XS Max had something wrong? ::confused2::

We are not talking about the same exact devices, but I guess TH CM41 and CM45 have same software and Bluetooth system, and iPhone XS Max also should work the same as my “old” iPhone X

So I cannot solve the mistery about the problems you had, but answering your question in the first post: I don’t have any Android phone to compare, but watch/phone connectivity cannot be better than with my iPhone X, because -since System H update- it’s simply perfect

5. Feanor

Feanor Apr 22, 2019

I have another question; does anyone know if fitness stats sync between an iPhone and a Wear OS watch? Having only Android phones and using Google Fit as my daily fitness app means fitness stats get smoothly synced between my XZ3 and my Connected. I don't have any idea if that would be the case if I had an iPhone and it would be a real deal breaker for me.

6. gmetrail

gmetrail Apr 22, 2019

From what I remember, the WearOS app will sync the data from the watch with Google Fit, and I don't recall data flowing to Apple Healthkit. I also seem to remember that there is no native Google Fit app for iOS (at least I didn't find it in Canada). Anyone with iOS can confirm?

If you haven't gone through it, here is a support document that shows some differences between Android and iOS: https://support.google.com/wearos/answer/6056802

7. Feanor

Feanor Apr 23, 2019

Thank you for the link, but it isn't very descriptive. It comfortably mentions in both cases (iPhone or Android phone) that you can track your fitness on the watch, but it mentions no syncing capabilities in either case. I am pretty sure that there is no syncing between Apple Healthkit on iPhone and Google Fit on the Connected but I was wondering if there would be syncing in case of an independent app like Strava. However somehow I am not holding my breath.

8. Feanor

Feanor Apr 24, 2019

...and fresh news from today:
    https://www.androidcentral.com/google-fit-launches-ios-support-wear-os-and-apple-watch

Albert-AMG likes this.
  9. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Apr 24, 2019

Great news @Feanor ! :)

I have just installed Google Fit app in my iPhone, and all fitness stats have been automatically synced between my iPhone and my TH CM45 since the first day I wore the watch, nearly one year ago! :thumbsup:

Feanor likes this.