Forums Latest Members

Vintage Monaco Reference Number Question

1. MonacoMike

MonacoMike Apr 26, 2021

Hi all,

So we all know that Heuer released the Monaco as 1133B/G and 1533B/G, among many others.

But within the initial run of 1133B, for instance, there appear to be many variations. The first ones were labeled with "Chonomatic" on the dial. Then it transitioned to say "Automatic Chronograph". There were versions with flat subdials and others with embossed subdials. There were versions with bracelets and faux leather straps. There were a variety of different handsets, and so on. There were ones with Calibre 11, and later ones with the Calibre 12s.

On 1533s, the subdials can even be different colors - there are 1533Gs with both black and blue subdials.

With regards to all of these variations, was there some kind of secondary reference number (similar to how they associate the strap a watch comes with now), to set each version apart? Or are they all just called 1133B, and it's up to the collector to really research what they're looking at.

2. SteveP

SteveP Apr 26, 2021

No, other than the titles you mention is was common to keep them under the model title banner but as variations occurred chronologically they have become to be known as different 'executions'. Have a look at OTD which gives a base for this-
    Reference 1133 | OnTheDash

Beyond this there are further variations I believe, so best to ask someone with more knowledge (than me!) before buying....
    Best, Steve

3. MonacoMike

MonacoMike Apr 26, 2021

Thanks! Sadly, not in the market for one right now. Just very enthusiastic about the details.

4. MonacoMike

MonacoMike Apr 27, 2021

Does anyone know when the original 1133s switched from the Calibre 11 to the Calibre 12?

There seem to be three versions of the B - Chronomatic, Transitional and Production and also First and Second Execution of the G.

It definitely appears that the Chronomatic and Transitional were both C11, but did the Production version get some combination of 11 and then, later models got 12?

How about the Grey? did the was there something specific with regards to Cal 11/12 and 1st/2nd execution?

I'm working on a database now that will have all of the nitty gritty details on left-hand crown Monacos.

5. SteveP

SteveP Apr 27, 2021

Hi Mike-I'm not sure directly but it's been written about quite extensively. Probably the best place to start is
    about (heuerpriceguide.com)

His book also contains all the variations (plus those models that weren't produced too).
    Best, Steve

6. MonacoMike

MonacoMike Apr 27, 2021

Hi Steve,

I don't have that book yet, but I have it on my wish list. I have checked his website out, though, and it's not super granular there (which is why I need the book!).

SteveP likes this.