Forums Latest Members

USA National anthem interpratation.

1. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Jun 13, 2022

Watching the WEC from Sebring, heard the anthem sung at the start, how does our members from the US view the way it is delivered at some events, I’ve heard some where the tune is hardly recognisable as singer puts their own spin on it.
    Ignore the crappy title spelling please, watching telly and typing is a Nono.

2. Jemagloh

Jemagloh Jun 13, 2022

My preference is for the anthem to be sung in a straightforward, normal manner. I don't mind some minor deviation or a little emphasis on a note, but I'm not a fan of when it sounds like someone is singing their own version. :confused:

3. Pitfitter446

Maybe I’m just an old git but yep, anthems should be sung with reverence and so the crowd can join in if so minded, not as if it’s karaoke doon the pub.

4. Jemagloh

Jemagloh Jun 13, 2022

I'm a rock/metal guy, but this Steven Tyler performance at the 2001 Indy 500 is, well, uhm . . . it illustrates my point (particularly at the end if you make it that far). :whipped:

5. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jun 13, 2022

It should always be sung properly IMO.

When singers put their own slant on it, they'll typically get a lot of flack. But one of the reasons this happens is because the US national anthem is not the easiest song to sing. Hence rather than miss a note, they'll get creative.

thingziliketoo likes this.
  6. Pitfitter446

I've been at events when it was sung by the folk all around me, maybe not always in tune but they meant every word and sang it with feeling, that'll do for me.
    I feel sorry for the folk around me at Murrayfield when Flower of Scotland gets laldy, fortunately most are as bad as I am.:whistling:

injuhneer likes this.
  7. injuhneer

injuhneer Aug 28, 2022

Adding a little flare is OK especially if it comes from a sense of passion for a nation. In general I believe any nation's anthem should be sung with respect. It isn't a time to show us your skills with scales and triads.

I used to attend a lot of Indy Car events. One of my favorites was the Michigan 500. They always performed the Canadian and USA anthems. Always tasteful and never a tiptoe through a performer's entire vocal range.

Pitfitter446 likes this.