Forums Latest Members
  1. RockBurner

RockBurner Feb 18, 2021

After a late night ebay blunder, I'm asking for some assistance in tracking down a particular strap. :)

I recently purchased a 38mm Thincase 1000 series :
    [​IMG]

And I was looking for a Tropic strap to go with it.
    it's an 18mm lug width.

The ebay blunder was this :
    16mm-rally-tropic.jpg

A Tropic Rally style with lots of holes. I REALLY LIKE the 'lots of holes' factor.
    The blunder is that it's a 16mm fitting.
    D'OH!

So - I'm now taking a bit more time and having a REALLY good look for a Tropic (or Tropic style) Rubber Rally strap that is suitable for a THIN case 1000Pro.

But the issues I'm coming up with are:
    1) All the 'modern' stuff on ebay and amazon is made for bulky, quite thick watches, eg everything 'modern' in this list:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=tropic+rubber+strap&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

2) Although Tropic still exist, and still make straps - they do NOT appear to do the 'Rally' style any more:
    https://www.tropicstrap.com/ (at least, not that I can find!) I don't like the 'small holes' shown there.

I am specifically looking for a Tropic style - because the inside of the strap looks like this :
    18mm-curved-lugs-inside.jpg

IE - there isn't a lot of material that actually is in contact with your skin - so it's a lot 'lighter' to wear, and quicker to drain off when wet.

NOTE - that photo above IS an 18mm Tropic Rally, but with curved lugs. I'm very tempted by it (it's on ebay), however: I'm not sure if the curved lugs will suit the watch the way I wear it. My wrist isn't very large - so I'm concerned that he lugs might look odd as they won't be 'inline' with the watch's main axis, they'll be 'raised' because I have a smaller wrist.

I've already looked on WatchGecko, and found this, which I do like:
    https://www.watchgecko.com/zuludiver-quick-release-sailcloth-perforated-divers-watch-strap
    BUT - they don't do 18mm!!!

GAH!

For reference:
    > I do NOT want a LEATHER Rally strap - I find leather soaks up moisture and makes my wrist feel wet for ages.
    > I also am NOT looking for straps that mimic the look of leather (eg: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/StrapsCo...y-Watch-Band-Quick-Release-Strap/153188376407Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network ). This is because my Partner already has that strap on hers! Also because I prefer that 'sailcloth' look.
    [​IMG]

> Although I looked at them - I also do not want a silicon rubber 'Nato' (or Zulu) style strap. eg:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-RA...905306?hash=item33cd5f465a:g:Q7cAAOSwkB5b6ZNIPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    The reason for that, is that I don't like the way they raise the watch body up off my wrist.

So - does anyone know of a another source for Tropic, or Tropic style straps that might suit?
    Many thanks in advance!! :D

2. abrod520

abrod520 Feb 18, 2021

So here's the thing, for smaller watches the style is the original basket-weave Tropic strap or the Tropic Sport like your partner has. There are some other styles out there but as you say those are bulkier and intended for more modern watches.

I would say your best bet is to continue to cruise eBay and see what you turn up, but pay closer attention to the lug width of the strap you're buying. Even if the seller doesn't mention it in the listing for some reason, many of these straps will have the width marked on the lugs.

RockBurner likes this.
  3. imagwai

imagwai Feb 18, 2021

4. RockBurner

RockBurner Feb 18, 2021

Ah - yes seen that site. Nothing like what I want there sadly.

I believe I did mention that I don't like the 'leather' styling, and I didn't want one that matched the gf's. ;)

Do pay attention Bond..... ;)
    [​IMG]

I met him once!!
    I went to the same school as me, in the same 'house' and he came to watch a play. (I wasn't in the play. :( )

5. imagwai

imagwai Feb 18, 2021

I am actually a bit confused as to what you want, and I've read your message several times. Your eBay purchase was leather effect. You then say you want a tropic style with lots of holes and a ribbed underside. Then you say you don't want leather or leather effect. Then you say you want sailcloth which won't fulfil the earlier criteria of giving you a ribbed underside.

I think you've been so specific that what you want may not actually exist, especially in 18mm.

My original suggestion was going to be Zuludiver, but you've seen that already and probably not a lot of choice in 18mm.

For rubber, also check out Bonetto Cinturini to see if they do 18mm in anything. Superb and very comfy straps.

6. RockBurner

RockBurner Feb 18, 2021

The 16mm i bought inadvertently is a leather' style, yes, but I've seen similar in 'sailcloth' WITH the ribbed underside, and the exact pattern of holes that i want...... I just can't find another 18mm.

7. imagwai

imagwai Feb 18, 2021

Why don't you post a link or picture of the wrong-sized 'sailcloth' you've seen with the ribbed underside and pattern of holes you want? Then we can maybe suggest something similar.

RockBurner likes this.
  8. imagwai

imagwai Feb 18, 2021

P.S. It's a shame that one you've bought is 16mm. It looks fantastic!

RockBurner likes this.
  9. RockBurner

RockBurner Feb 18, 2021

I'll be keeping it as a spare for the gf. :)

10. RockBurner

RockBurner Feb 18, 2021

If i can find it again.... I will!

11. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Feb 18, 2021

Hirsch Robby is pretty close with a sailcoth finish and a rubber underneath with ridges but sadly no 18mm size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. RockBurner

RockBurner Feb 19, 2021

Ok - so:
    The 16mm I did buy is the pattern of holes I would like. It turned up today, and is very nice, I'm going to keep it as a spare for my GF's watch.

THIS:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-60s-...er-Strap-Vintage-Watch-Band-MC74/133667688718Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Is 'sailcloth' patterned, 'acceptable' hole pattern (I still prefer the smaller holes to be round), and is 18mm BUT - it's white. :(

I've bought this:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293980962991?&ul_noapp=true&autorefresh=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Which is 'close' - not quite the hole pattern I wanted, but it's sailcloth, single keeper loop and 18mm. I'm not convinced that the curved lug ends will work though - hence I was initially cagey about buying it (but I received a 20% off offer from the seller this morning).

This is nice:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bracelet...562455?hash=item2f4e074617:g:a6sAAOSw0INc5RrwPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Hole pattern is what I want, BUT - it's leather-look, not sailcloth look.

These are rather nice (for a modern strap)
    https://www.watchgecko.com/zuludiver-quick-release-sailcloth-perforated-divers-watch-strap
    BUT - they don't do an 18mm, and it doesn't have the smaller holes between the large ones.

So - I'm looking ideally for the very large holes pattern, single keeper, sailcloth patterning, straight lug ends (most likely - will see what the curved lug ends look like when it turns up - I might like them), 18mm, and 'thin', ie for an older style thincase watch, not 'thick' like most modern dive straps seem to be.

13. imagwai

imagwai Feb 19, 2021

OK, think I get it now. Sailcloth pattern but made out of rubber, actual sailcloth or doesn't matter? Either way, I don't think I've seen anything like this before.

I have a Zuludiver rubbert strap in the pattern you like, but as you say, 20mm, not 18mm.

14. RockBurner

RockBurner Feb 19, 2021

Yeah, the patterning in the outer face of the rubber can be anything you want really, but Tropic did leather-look and "sailcloth" (and possibly more?)

15. imagwai

imagwai Feb 19, 2021

The problem is, most tropic straps with the large holes came in the leather look as you call it. The textured pattern straps were mostly small hole versions. Most modern versions imitate the originals.

RockBurner likes this.
  16. RockBurner

RockBurner Feb 19, 2021

I know. They DO exist..... I just have to find them... ;)

17. RockBurner

RockBurner Feb 19, 2021

This looks pretty close...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163666526186Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Might be a bit thick at the lug end though?
    Also can't see what the reverse is.

18. Yago

Yago Feb 20, 2021

18mm large hole sailcloth FS by Bernard De Vos. Don’t know if still available.
    AF2B0B55-1640-4584-AB9D-7D971B1EEC3E.jpeg

RockBurner likes this.
  19. RockBurner

RockBurner Feb 21, 2021

Cheers for that! Will look them up!

20. imagwai

imagwai Feb 21, 2021

You have to con
    You have to contact him through instagram. Just search for "bernarddevos". He also has an account on Omega Forums.

RockBurner likes this.