Forums Latest Members
  1. larryt

larryt Jan 28, 2021

How does this Autavia Jo Siffert Mk. 6 look. Any noticeable concerns aside from the date not lining up? I'm questioning the crown as well. Thanks in advance.

image2.jpeg

2. imagwai

imagwai Jan 29, 2021

Do you have the serial number between the lugs?

3. SteveP

SteveP Jan 29, 2021

Looks OK at a glance, agree the crown is not original. Also I'd speculate the date is because of a cal. 11 movement....but I'm not sure if it should be a cal.11 this late or not-as Imagwai says the serial would help.

4. RockBurner

RockBurner Jan 29, 2021

Are the hands supposed to be different colours?

5. abrod520

abrod520 Jan 29, 2021

Should not be a Cal 11 on the Mk VI. However, the date is probably in its changeover - as you can see the hands are set to 11:49 and the date changeover occurs between 9pm-12am. You could ask the seller to move the hands to 6:15 and see what happens. Even so, there are still a couple of issues here:
    -Yes, the crown is incorrect
    -The dial is relumed, and poorly so
    -I'd want to get a better look at the hour hand, it looks like it could be a shadow but I want to get better lighting on it. I do see the blue tip though.

All in all, it's not a bad purchase if it's not purchased at top of market prices.

6. larryt

larryt Jan 29, 2021

The hands show as different colors in this picture, however in a different picture they show the same. It must be like this due to lighting. The indices are not actually that dark either. I do wonder about the lume however. Does it look a little "sloppy"? I hope to get another couple of pics to post soon.

7. larryt

larryt Jan 29, 2021

Thanks for the response. What about the dial lume appears as poor reluming?I was thinking it looked good, but I am not near knowledgable enough to know for sure. Thanks.

8. larryt

larryt Jan 29, 2021

I am working on a couple of different pics, but does this one offer any additional perspective? image3.jpeg

9. SteveP

SteveP Jan 29, 2021

My word-look at those pusher indents!!! I thought I was looking too closely before...but they actually go UNDER the bezel?!?! That can't be right surely......

10. abrod520

abrod520 Jan 29, 2021

Color's very wrong, and look at the uneven application of the free dots at 3,6,9

Oh and one more thing I forgot to list: 30-min register needle is wrong.

11. Yago

Yago Jan 29, 2021

If the crown is Heuer signed it could be a Montreal crown. These came in standard width, which is more common and this wide version. Very appealing on the right watch. I don't see any issue with case or bracelet, both look strong. Stretch and clasp connector should be checked though.

12. larryt

larryt Jan 31, 2021

Thanks for all of the input.

Let's assume for a moment the watch has the correct movement and the bracelet is in good condition. Assume it needs to be serviced and a correct hand for the 30 minute register needs to be attained along with a correct crown to be installed during the service. What would be a fair value on this watch? How would that change if the watch also had the correct crown with it?

Thanks again.

13. Yago

Yago Jan 31, 2021

A lot of assumptions but it’s probably safe to also assume that getting the watch back in shape will be more costly than a decent original. If you can share the price I’ll give you my opinion on it.

14. larryt

larryt Jan 31, 2021

I am afraid I do not have a price. It is an open to offers situation. I was able to get a pic of the movement. I am awaiting some other pics now to hopefully confirm which movement would be correct.

What is the market currently on a "good original"?
    image6.jpeg

Edited Jan 31, 2021
  15. Yago

Yago Feb 1, 2021

This is a calibre 11 in a late Siffert. Possible but not likely and doesn't increase the value to say the least. I would stay clear with everything that's going on with this watch. For values, have a look at the Heuer Price Guide, these prices are in £ pound.

16. abrod520

abrod520 Feb 1, 2021

Not for nothing it also appears there's an 11-i stamp on the mainplate below the balance wheel, even though the rest bears the hallmarks of an 11. So I think the movement is probably cobbled together from parts, which I don't think would have occurred honestly during its years of going in for service.

It'll work just fine of course, but definitely brings the value down.

It also, again, really won't be very easy to find the subdial hand (crown, maybe, but certainly not a subdial hand).

I would not pay very good money for this, in fact it would have to be an absolute bargain for me to buy.

17. larryt

larryt Feb 1, 2021

Thanks for all of the great input from everyone. I really appreciate it. I am trying to buy my first vintage Heuer. It is between an Autavia Siffert and a Camaro 7220T. Whichever an acceptable copy of comes around first. This board is a resource is terrific. Please bear with me as I sort through a couple of more pieces in the future as I go through my quest.

SmithSJ and SteveP like this.
  18. imagwai

imagwai Feb 1, 2021

19. abrod520

abrod520 Feb 1, 2021

20. imagwai

imagwai Feb 1, 2021

I'm not trying to argue it makes financial sense.

I would also avoid this one and look for a better example :)