Forums Latest Members

TAG Was Stolen Enroute to Central Europe Service Centre

1. shyboy

shyboy Jul 4, 2023

I have a question regarding compensation. Am I eligible for additional compensation, in addition to receiving a replacement watch, for the 62 emails I had to exchange in order to establish Tag Heuer's liability in my watch being stolen from their shipping carton? Although I managed to succeed to some extent, they offered me the monetary value equivalent to the original purchase price of the watch, which is lower than its current market value.

2. YG_Rulz

YG_Rulz Jul 4, 2023

That sucks!!! I suppose you've gone through the T&Cs that TAG has on it's page with regards to compensation for a watch which is stolen/damaged while in their possession. The only other thing that I can think of is if you have a separate insurance on the watch, then you can possibly claim for the loss from there, but sometimes the insurance wordings require the watch to be in your possession at the time when the watch "disappeared".

3. imagwai

imagwai Jul 4, 2023

I would say you should be, but it all depends on what you can prove, and unless you want to write to a newspaper or other consumer group, are kind of stuck with what Tag Heuer decide you are entitled to. It sounds like it's already an established fact that it went missing in their possession. I presume you have subsequently provided Tag Heuer with proof of the current value of the watch and it is reasonable/fair market value rather than just unrelastic asking prices on Chrono24.

4. shyboy

shyboy Jul 4, 2023

Tag Heuer has accepted liability for a DHL employee slicing the shipping package open and stealing the watch. It never should have been shipped by DHL in the first place as stores only send by private courier. They gave me 4200,00 euros, yet that falls short of the 5150 price tag for the current Link Chrono. Yet I need to establish whether I can argue for compensation over and above for the distress and time taken in proving y point. Never mind I caught them stating I needed a full revision when the Timegrapher proved the watch ran perfectly and was in the safe at my jeweler's, during covid and was still within the last revision warranty.

5. shyboy

shyboy Jul 4, 2023

Nothing in T&C about TAGs responsibility for in transit loss of goods.

6. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Jul 4, 2023

Most insurances cover only purchase price unless you insure separately for specified height value, claim on your house insurance if you had it registered with them at a higher value? or maybe as new for old policy?

7. YY77

YY77 Jul 4, 2023

Would you mind sharing the model?

8. shyboy

shyboy Jul 4, 2023

Model of what? And how does this request help with my question?

9. shyboy

shyboy Jul 4, 2023

No need for extra insurance, as it was the Tag service center that sent me the package for my watch to be sent back to them. They used DHL instead of a private courier.

10. shyboy

shyboy Jul 4, 2023

All have been delivered to Tag. They gave me money, albeit less than the current market value for the same Link. I want to know if I can legally claim more compensation.

11. imagwai

imagwai Jul 5, 2023

They should put you back in the same position which you started. In terms of enforcement, though, you may need to speak to a lawyer.

dtf likes this.
  12. bpsmith

bpsmith Jul 5, 2023

This scenario is bonkers, considering they are prepared to pay out the current market value and not the value of a new replacement, when in actual fact it would be cheaper for them to provide an agreeable replacement to you from their new stock surely?

13. YG_Rulz

YG_Rulz Jul 5, 2023

Most people usually have additional insurance on their watches, either as a standalone insurance or tied up with their home insurance. By your response, I don't think you had one. If you had one, you could've possibly explored that option for getting the rightful compensation.

do you have an independent valuation for this assumption or is it based on C24? C24 or any other online portal will not be considered a credible source for evaluating a watch's price as those are the prices defined by the individual consumers based on their opinions. You'll find the same watch ranging from 3000-10000 $ for example on these portals (might be an exaggeration, but you get the idea).

Best to talk to a lawyer in your country on the matter.

imagwai and Aquagraph like this.
  14. YG_Rulz

YG_Rulz Jul 5, 2023

Also, why should've TAG used a private courier? Did they commit to using one and they didn't? A 6000$ watch is not that high a value which would warrant using a private courier. In fact you can insure your courier during transit at a higher courier price. If TAG under valued the insurance, then that can be taken up with them through a lawyer.

15. shyboy

shyboy Jul 5, 2023

The stores use private couriers, not DHL, as was conveyed to me by the 4 sales representatives of the Hamburg store.

Edited Jul 5, 2023
  16. shyboy

shyboy Jul 5, 2023

The current Link Chrono is 5150 euros, my Link was valued at 4200 euros retail when purchased. Tag wanted me to pay 950 more if I wanted the Link Chrono.

17. shyboy

shyboy Jul 5, 2023

I am looking for Tag to be responsible, not I. Thanks for the insight.

18. shyboy

shyboy Jul 5, 2023

Nope. Only the 4200,00 value, they assert, was the retail price when the watch was purchased.

bpsmith likes this.
  19. shyboy

shyboy Jul 5, 2023

Will engage one. Thanks.

20. imagwai

imagwai Jul 5, 2023

Given the hassle involved and the amount of energy expended already, I think I would be inclined to take the 4200 Euro and go and buy a Tudor instead.

dtf, bpsmith and McBeardy like this.