Forums Latest Members

Tag Modular Watch - Causing Insurance Headache

1. binlo

binlo May 4, 2018

I think I have just uncovered a major flaw with trying to ensure a Tag Connected Modular 45 Watch (£1450) and and the accompanying mechanical modular Calibre 16 watch head that I recently purchased (£2250) and wanted to see if anyone else has the same problem.

The issue I have is that when as the whole watch system is modular and can be swapped between smart and automatic watch heads, they dont know how to ensure such a setup as the initial watch was purchased a a whole set for £1450 and therefore do not have individual component prices broken down on the retail receipt. The most expensive component out of that set is the Watch Lugs at £720 a set. So if I now swap the connected rubber strap to the £2250 watch head, they will not cover the lugs as I don't have a receipt to show this value. In fact I just received this from for example 'protect your bubble' "Protect Your Bubble have never covered a single watch head without it being one item as part of a watch (with bracelet) I cannot confirm cover at this stage. This has been referred onto the insurer and we now await their advice.

Has anyone had similar issues and can advise how I would ensure this or recommend any good watch insurance companies? Any help or advice would be appreciated!

2. Good Times

Good Times May 4, 2018

Don't you just need a quote for the lug replacement cost, should only they need to be replaced (along with module and strap)?

3. binlo

binlo May 8, 2018

That is what I thought, but as I did not purchase them separately and came with the modular 45 watch as a set, I do not have a receipt to show this as a value of £720 ?. What insurance companies are looking for is a receipt to show this value as a line item?

4. Good Times

Good Times May 8, 2018

No what I mean is, can't you get a generic insurance policy to cover your watch (e.g. I have $10k to cover jewellery regardless of how it's comprised). And then if lost, you just submit to them the separate quotes from your dealer and that should substantiate the costs?

5. binlo

binlo May 8, 2018

Okay, I see what you mean - so if all the components of the watch come to say £3200 to replace, then you get cover for that. That is exactly what I tried to do with "protect your bubble" using there jewelry insurance policy but they said they will not cover it unless you can show this cost on a receipt. I will have to try other places ?

6. Good Times

Good Times May 8, 2018

Yes I think it is very much insurer-dependant. One that we tried required purchase receipts for everything. Another required no receipts at all, just photos to show we actually owned them at some point. And specifying items was just a matter of a dollar value, so I have $1k for sunglasses and wallet when I'm out, $10k jewellery, $5k on bicycles etc etc. Hopefully there is something like that in your region, it makes it far easier.