Forums Latest Members

TAG Heuer's 2015 range- what do you want to see?

1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 15, 2014

2014 has been a bit of an unusual year for new TAG Heuers, because the emphasis has been on new 3-hand watches (Aquaracer 300m, Carrera Cal. 5, Carrera Cali. 7, Link Cal. 7, Monaco Cal.6) and the new F1 range.

So what does that mean for next year? Will we see any updates to the key chronographs? Monaco? What about using the Calibre 1887 in a range other than the Carrera?

What do you want to see for 2015? It won't be this....
    [​IMG]

2. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 15, 2014

I'm guessing we'll see a few more Formula 1 automatic variants, the first good watch I ever owned was a first series TAG Heuer F1 Chronograph and I bought both my nephews a quartz F1 to get them off on the right foot but its been interesting to see how that line has sort of matured from being an entry level piece to being a more motorsport oriented style that sits parallel with the Link and Aquaracers for those that are too lazy to dive yet too young to golf.

3. abcoro

abcoro Nov 15, 2014

I'd love to see a new interpretation of the 1st execution 2446 Autavia...but I'm afraid Mr.Biver has set different priorities already.

Spiccato likes this.
  4. Robertus

Robertus Nov 16, 2014

Focusing on the Aquaracer line:
    I'd see today's Aquaracer Chrono with blue dial and the following differences/updates/upgrades:
    - ETA-Valjoux 7750 with day-date feature again
    - Caliber TOP grade! (Glucydur balance instead of the Nickel balance like on the previous day-date Aquaracer Chrono
    - get rid of the helium valve at 10 (always feel like the Omega Seamaster wannabe) at all or place it recessed (like on a. o. on the Submariner, SuperOcean, DS-3 Reissue and others) at 9 (finally giving function to the extra part of metal there)
    - steel bracelet with a single folding double pusher clasp, including quick-micro-adjust feature
    - using only time-tested steel for the crown and pushers instead of rubber coating and alike
    Focusing on the new Formula 1 cal. 16 chrono:
    - very same features like written above, with 0-60 count-up BIDIRECTIONAL bezel, not to look only like a turning tachy bezel...
    Focusing on the Carrera Drive Timer:
    - adding a day-date chronograph version, with underglass bezel turning crown integrated to the reset pusher.
    - all the other features like above
    Focusing on other things:
    - Using any more-or-less inhouse movement (cal 1887 or 1969) add a day-date feature (possibly with Big Date at 12) and/or a simple full calendar (like on the Valjoux 72C and Valjoux 7751) plus a fly-back function, and use it for the above mentioned 3 lines
    - Add 40-42 mm diameter models to the above mentioned lines.
    Hope this helps and hope someone from the management also reads this post... :)
    Regards,
    Robert

Edited Nov 16, 2014
  5. Spiccato

Spiccato Nov 16, 2014

Ditto on the Autavia..no idea why this hasn't already been done.

Robertus likes this.
  6. Robertus

Robertus Nov 16, 2014

I think the newest Formula 1 Series reminds me a lot on the old Autavia... :)

7. Spiccato

Spiccato Nov 16, 2014

Honestly I thought the first and second series SLRs looked like the offspring of the "good old days" Heuers..

Robertus likes this.
  8. danomar

danomar Nov 16, 2014

How about another Carrera 1964 Re-Edition series but with two registers à la 3647?

9. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2014

It'd certainly be a piece that would get a lot of attention from fans and enthusiasts but the tricky part would be the movement as it might be very difficult to squeeze any more Lemania 1873 base calibres out of ETA these days. Having said that there's always the Zenith El Primero Prime hand-wound Calibre 420 in the LVMH family which has been used in both two register and two register with date at six form in the Pilot line.

10. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 16, 2014

Sadly I think that the new Formula 1 rules out the chance of the 1970s Autavia coming back- the cases are basically identical, so you couldn't really launch them at different price points. So, what about a 1960s Autavia? Maybe, but is it too close to today's Carrera?

I have heard that there will be at least one vintage-themed "Heuer" model in 2015- my guess is another Carrera.

A few thoughts on some of the other suggestions:

- A manual-wind El-Primero vintage style Carrera? Now that would be special...if only.
    - Not sure if there will be any updates on the Aquaracer next year. The new 300m came out this year and the 500m watch in late 2012, with the Chrono a year later. I'd still love to see a true Aquagraph replacement
    - Carrera Drive Timer will be interesting. It was a boutique-only model this year, and my sense is that it's been a good success. Wonder if they'll do a Driver Timer II with enough changes to not annoy those who bought the first model?
    - Smaller cases? Yes, would love that too. One of the most surprising watches I tried in the last year was the Link Calibre 18 which had a real vintage feel to it at 40mm
    - Movements will be interesting. Given that it looks as though TAG Heuer will have to manage with just the 1887 as the in-house option, I wonder if they will look at developing other versions of that calibre (e.g. power reserve, which was in prototype form almost 4 years ago!)

dc

11. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Nov 16, 2014

I would like more vintage-themed "Heuer" models. I've been buying two per year, and will continue to do so, if they continue to be made.

12. hallanthony

hallanthony Nov 18, 2014

Would love some more vintage based "Heuer" models too, would like an Autavia myself, but this time just Heuer please :)

dsio likes this.
  13. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 19, 2014

I reckon at best we'll get two Carrera "Heuers"- maybe a Chronograph and a watch. Would LOVE to see a Skipper...why not use the F1 case, add a starburst finish on the top section of the case and a Calibre 17 movement?

Skipper F1.jpeg

14. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 19, 2014

I actually prefer those more visible style chronos for sailing use, the subdials can be a bit small to read which is why I like center minutes chronos or the 5 floating circles style they used to make in the 1980s, not sure what that model was called but it had a center seconds in bright orange then five circles for the 5 minute countdown.

I think they were a modular 3 hand movement + piggyback from memory too.

15. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 19, 2014

Something like this?

Regatta.jpeg

16. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 19, 2014

Yea exactly that! And this is one of those use cases where 45mm is perfectly acceptable, the old style fibreglass F1 bezel wouldn't go amiss either to save it from dents. That style regatta timer is the most useful mechanical version there is, far better than Rolex's YM2

17. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Nov 21, 2014

18. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 22, 2014

Nothing this year unfortunately- except for the Monaco Calibre 12

I remember the surprise of last year's boutique Carrera. I asked TAG Heuer Australia to borrow a few watches for a shoot and they sent me through a list of what they'd just received. There was a watch called "Carrera Calibre 17 Special Edition", so I asked them what that was, not expecting anything exciting. When they sent through a picture, I jumped in the car and went to buy the Anthracite model. First new TAG Heuer in a couple of years and still one of my favourites!

[​IMG]

19. WillMK5

WillMK5 Nov 24, 2014

I'm not sure if it's possible, but I would like to see the 1969 movement in different dial layouts. The 12-6-9 layout is getting old.

20. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 24, 2014

Probably won't be the Calibre 1969/ CH80 as that is still on hold, but I don't see why they couldn't modify the Cal. 1887 to a different layout? I prefer 3-6-9 to 12-6-9...looks more balanced