Forums Latest Members

TAG Heuer to drop 'Swiss Made' Bloomberg TV

1. Osmosis

Osmosis Jan 20, 2015

Wow, huge news! It's pretty well documented that TH are developing a Smart Watch but is this news also linked to DC's recent post about the changing of the definitions of 'Swiss Made'

I honestly think this just applies to just the Smart Watch but time will tell. If that is the case then Bloombergs headline certainly comes across as sensationalist and also highly damaging.

Link:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-...-swiss-made-label-to-take-on-apple-watch.html

2. WillMK5

WillMK5 Jan 20, 2015

That's a misleading title, but I think it's pretty clear from the article that dropping the "Swiss Made" is solely for the Smart Watch. As Biver says, the technology to produce a smart watch doesnt exist in Switzerland, so it needs to be outsourced. It's all pretty straight forward.

The rest of the mechanical watches will still say Swiss Made, it would be devastating to drop that from the dial.

3. Osmosis

Osmosis Jan 20, 2015

Yes on further reading that does seem the case. Although I just nearly spat out my morning coffee when I saw the Bloomberg news!

[​IMG]

One thing for sure, with Apple and the SNB decision it sure is going to be an interesting year for the Swiss watch industry

4. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 20, 2015

As the article says, in six weeks we should know the partnership/s.

5. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 20, 2015

Yes, I also spat out my coffee when I saw the headline...talk about misleading!

As with many things to do with watches, we've been here before. The 1975 Chronosplit which was inspired by a visit to Intel by Jack Heuer, was made in the US. The later Manhattan featured two movements, the analogue one coming from Citizen in Japan, so neither watch has "Swiss Made" on the dial.

I don't think this is a big deal for a Smartwatch- it would be a very big deal for a "normal" watch.

It will be a fascinating development for TAG Heuer. I don't know what the concept is that they're working on, but I do wonder if the partial solution from Montblanc will be better than a "proper" watch...can't wait to see.

6. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 21, 2015

The Montblanc strap thing looks a bit worse now that more pics are out, its a very low resolution poor quality display, and is very bulky and thick for what it does.

7. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 21, 2015

Yes, it does a bit...but maybe it would be better to develop something along the same lines (flexible displays?)