Forums Latest Members

TAG Heuer calibre TH20-00 in 44mm Carrera?

1. DrCarrera

DrCarrera Aug 22, 2023

Any Tag Heuer experts on here who can clear up some confusion for me?!

I've been looking at 44mm Carrera chronos with the in-house Heuer 02 movement. However, I've just come across one which appears to have the new TH20-00 calibre.
    I can't see anywhere (including TH's own site) that this movement is used in anything other than the new 39mm "Glass box" watches. The dial is identical to the original 02 calibre Carrera apart from the fact the "HEUER 02 80 HOURS" text is missing from it. Strangely, this is also how the face now appears on the TH website even though the watch is described as still having the 02 calibre.

Is it possible the watch is a pre-production prototype or something?

TIA

Chris

2. abrod520

abrod520 Aug 22, 2023

A bit more info around where you found this would help - was it at an authorized dealer, or an individual online somewhere?
    Also, a couple photos of the front and back would go a really long way too.

VirgileF likes this.
  3. DrCarrera

DrCarrera Aug 22, 2023

Here you go. Front and back. It's an advert online.

Watch1.jpg

watch2.jpg

4. Gene242

Gene242 Aug 22, 2023

I know that TH-20, going forward will be the technical name for the heur 02 but this is my first time seeing the the redesign bi directional rotor in anything besdies the glass box

5. VirgileF

VirgileF Aug 22, 2023

Maybe counterfeiters are a little ahead of the game :D

dtf, Jim Dollares and McBeardy like this.
  6. DrCarrera

DrCarrera Aug 22, 2023

:)

I did think about a fake but why go to all the trouble to produce such a good fake of a watch that doesn't (yet) exist?!

That's why I'm wondering if TH are due to announce the 44mm Carrera will use the new TH20 calibre (hence the removal of the HEUER 02 nomenclature from some of the faces on their website) and this one has somehow found it's way out of the factory prematurely.

It's only the green Carreras that are missing it on their website. Image below just copied from it:

carreras.jpg

VirgileF likes this.
  7. abrod520

abrod520 Aug 22, 2023

It's not impossible, we've seen unreleased TAGs on Chrono24 before. Like the Year of the Rabbit recently, that was posted for sale on C24 about a week before the official reveal.

Even so, I'm not sure I'd be confident enough to buy this one

8. DrCarrera

DrCarrera Aug 22, 2023

Yea, I share your lack of confidence, hence this post! If it was from a dealer I'd be more confident but as it's a private sale I think there are too many question marks. I was hoping someone would come on and say something like "they switched calibres a few months ago but haven't updated the website yet" but I think I was hoping for too much!

9. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Aug 22, 2023

Great find Dr. Carrera :thumbsup:

What a wonderful upgrade removing the "Heuer02 80 hours" from the dial.

VirgileF likes this.
  10. ivanr79

ivanr79 Dec 10, 2023

Hi guys, yesterday I ordered at the local official dealer Tag Heuer CBN2A5A.FC6481 - 44mm Carrera. I have to pick it in Monday, but now I understand that the movement is TH20-00 instead of Heuer 02. I have checked internet for more info about this matter, but all I found is this topic. So what do you think, is it real or fake? th20-00.jpg

11. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Dec 10, 2023

If you bought from authorised retailer obviously it will be genuine :thumbsup: I believe what we're seeing is TAG phasing out the H02 replacing it with TH20 in more models.

Make sure to post photos once you receive it!

12. ivanr79

ivanr79 Dec 10, 2023

I hope so. I will post it soon.

13. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Dec 11, 2023

I just asked my AD and they say yes, the TH20-00 is being put in the 44mm sports Carreras, they have some of each in stock.

14. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Dec 11, 2023

Heuer02's heavily discounted then?

15. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Dec 11, 2023

16. Pjfinn

Pjfinn Apr 10, 2024

17. Pjfinn

Pjfinn Apr 10, 2024

Very happy to stumble upon your post, as I’ve been naggingly perplexed by the exact same issue. I purchased a 44mm Carrera chronograph directly from the online Tag boutique back in September 2023. I quickly noticed, as you mentioned, that the HEUER 02 80 HOURS text was missing from the bottom of the watch face (with no text appearing to replace it), and on the back, instead of the CAL. HEUER 02 text, mine says TAG HEUER TH20-00 THIRTY THREE (33) JEWELS SWISS. When I called and spoke to someone at TAG, they seemed confused by my question and kept reassuring me that my watch was still covered by warranty, which wasn’t my question. I spoke to two other folks and the best I got was a reassurance to “not worry about it - the watch is fine and the movement is essentially the same”. I figured perhaps the old movement was gradually being replaced in this watch, and I just happened to receive one of the first examples with the update. Interestingly enough, I just checked the website, and this watch is still showing as having the HEUER 02 movement, both in photos and explanatory text. Here are some photos showing the on line photos from today and of my watch. Interestingly enough, or maybe not, my particular watch is an online exclusive, so theoretically not available anywhere else. IMG_0806.jpeg IMG_0807.jpeg IMG_1218.jpeg IMG_1227.jpeg