Forums Latest Members

Smart Watch Update- NOT called TAG Heuer...

1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Apr 29, 2015

2. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Apr 29, 2015

Very interesting; the price is below what I expected, but we'll see if the market reacts positively.

3. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Apr 30, 2015

The part of the TAG Heuer/ Google/ Intel deal that I don't understand is how the "TAG Wear" product will be different to Fossil watch, which also involves Google and Intel (Link)

So, will the insides of the two watches be basically the same? Perhaps a faster processor/ better battery in the TAG? Obviously you'd expect that the design and materials will be very different, but I'm interested to understand how the technical specs of what Google and Intel bring will be different for the two deals

4. elbeik

elbeik Apr 30, 2015

I sense a disturbance in the Force.

travisrock likes this.
  5. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 1, 2015

Judging from your profile pic, you'd know!

6. drunken monkey

drunken monkey May 3, 2015

hmm, the name intrigues me as it sets up the possibilities of further uses of the format.
    It also amuses me because TAGHeuer and TAGWear doesn't sound too different when a German speaking person says it.

7. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 4, 2015

Another important factoid from the same event: the planned battery time is 40 hours, radically better than the 18 hours of the Apple Watch.

Incidentally, I've been using the Apple Watch for the last week or so and the general feeling is one of disappointment:
    - Beautifully designed and made
    - Battery life better than expected...not an issue in daily use
    - BUT, the watch ends up feeling like a glorified remote control for your iPhone. The camera and music apps on the watch for example simply activate and control those function on the phone. Now these are functions that I want or need on a watch, but I'd rather they weren't there at all instead of just being a remote

IMG_0316.JPG

8. elbeik

elbeik May 4, 2015

I am an Apple user myself, yet the Apple watch did not trigger my interest.
    If I were to get one, I'd wear it on the other wrist as opposed to a sports / health tracker band.

I don't think it can replace a true timepiece.

9. dtf

dtf May 5, 2015

Interesting feedback on the apple watch, it's not really grabbed my attention either, doesn't seem to add anything of value and the battery life is just too short.

I have started wearing a Fitbit on my other wrist, which does offer something new, constant heart rate and activity logging, with about a 5-day battery life. I realise the apple does hr, but the battery life and price puts me off - a watch either needs to be something that will last for years, or something cheap that I can throw away in 2 years and not care.

10. jamie1983

jamie1983 May 8, 2015

I purchased a Garmin Vivoactive for the stand alone GPS and it's actually waterproof, you can run, swim, etc without your phone and still track using the build in GPS. Where the apple watch relies on the phone for the GPS and is not waterproof.

I did not think I would like getting texts/alerts on the watch, however it is very convenient during meetings to glance at your watch to see if it is a call/text you need to respond to or ignore without having to take out your phone.

11. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 10, 2015

And this is why I think there is a good opportunity for TAG Heuer to get their Smartwatch right- if Apple had redefined the category (as they usually do), then it would be a very hard act to follow. But there are enough limitations there for other people to get it right before Apple does

12. jamie1983

jamie1983 May 11, 2015

I would love to see Tag come out with something with features similar to the Garmin Fenix 3 which is ($600) with medal band...but with a bit more style.

13. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 12, 2015

I've still got a month to wait until my space black link bracelet apple watch arrives, one thing to keep in mind is that currently apps aren't native and don't have access to all the features like accelerometer, gyroscope, etc etc in the watch, later half of the year that's going to be changing.

14. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 18, 2015

15. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 18, 2015

Theres another interesting player just released called Olio but I think its a bit mediocre on the watch front:

https://www.oliodevices.com/

Ultimately I think the Apple Watch & TAG Gear are going to be sort of in a class of their own on the finishing and detail front, had a play with an LG a week or so ago and jeez its a poorly made piece of crap, feels like something you see in the display cabinet and Mister Minit.

16. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member May 18, 2015

All eyes on Google I/O 2015, which will happen next week. Hopefully we'll see then what's in store for Android Ware.

17. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 23, 2015

Received my black Apple Watch sport band... but no watch shipping until June :(

In the mean time I'll play with my strap and imagine what could be...

At this rate the TAG Wear might be out before I receive my Space Black Apple Watch on link bracelet...

[​IMG]

18. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 23, 2015

Man, I went in to the Apple Shop to buy that strap yesterday but they were sold out...now I know why! Instead I bought the Milanese Loop, which was A$229- the same price as the leather strap, which surprised me a bit.
    FullSizeRender 6.jpg

Small point- the sales packaging for the watch, whether it's the strap or the watch itself is absolutely first rate.

19. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 24, 2015

It gets even better, have you seen the box for the Edition model? It has a plug on the back and turns into a docking station for the watch.

20. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 31, 2015

Yet another twist?

http://www.wareable.com/android-wea...-reveals-name-of-first-luxury-smartwatch-1191

- Article speculated that the watch will be called the "Carrera Wearable 01" based on the following comment from JCB:

"There is no other choice for Tag Heuer than to have all its DNA, all its watchmaking emotion and flair into the connected watch. Somehow, one should not see from a certain distance the difference between a Carrera Heuer 01 and a Carrera Wearable 01"'

Not clear whether this really is the name.

The big news in this article is the upgradable part- this is something I have heard direct from Biver, that the aim is to be able to offer buyers the chance to upgrade the electronic components.