Forums Latest Members

Servicing a vintage Heuer Carrera (V72) - LVMH or Independent repair

1. calcheng

calcheng Feb 15, 2021

Hi guys

I do hope that you guys are able to chime in on this issue. I have a Heuer 2447T that is in need of servicing (the hour counter doesn't move).

I am wondering if you guys have any experience with the LVMH service centre in Singapore? As you know, parts for V72s are no longer in production - so as much as I trust independent watch repair shops in Singapore, they may not be able to source for parts. I am not looking for send my watch abroad for servicing (it will cause me too many sleepless nights).

Many thanks in advance!

2. abrod520

abrod520 Feb 15, 2021

Definitely find an independent, you can run some internet searches for watchmakers in SG. Official service centers have a nasty tendency to "make your watch look like new", by polishing the case and replacing parts that they deem worn out - like valuable original dials and hands.

calcheng likes this.
  3. misterclassic

misterclassic Feb 16, 2021

I don't have any experience with the LVMH service center in Singapore, but I believe it is Tag Heuer policy to send all vintage Heuers like yours to Switzerland in order to control the supply of new old stock replacement parts for vintage Heuers and minimize frankenwatches et. al. I would feel comfortable sending it to LVMH. I am sure any special requests like not polishing the case or replacing the dial etc. can be accommodated if you make the request clear. Tag Heuer has made a lot of effort to maintain the Heuer brand heritage, expand their archives and service vintage Heuers etc. I saw this post on watchuseek a while back that I think is relevant:

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/autavia-back-from-service-wanted-to-share-my-experience.4365970/

If I had a vintage Heuer like that, I would only send it to Tag personally ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cdindal and calcheng like this.
  4. calcheng

calcheng Feb 18, 2021

Cheers, buddy! That makes sense. I understand where the both of you are coming from - let me try the LVMH service centre first!

5. abrod520

abrod520 Feb 19, 2021

Don't. Do. This.

They may have parts, but Valjoux 72s aren't the rarest of movements. And you're likely to get back a polished-down watch with replaced hands. Except at the very top levels (like Patek or Vacheron, etc) official service centers should never be trusted with vintage watches, only for warranty work or more recent watches which can be replaced if the service center messes up. Which they often do... plenty of horror stories of even modern watches going in and coming back unrecognizably polished.

6. imagwai

imagwai Feb 19, 2021

Hope you're wrong. When the estimate came back for my CS3110 service, in the description of work to be performed it did contain a clear confirmation back on my instruction not to polish the watch. We shall see I suppose!

7. abrod520

abrod520 Feb 19, 2021

Fingers crossed man. Another watch buddy of mine just got his mid-2000s Breitling back from a routine service, in a poorly polished and now completely ruined case. But for your watch, it's recent enough that it may as well go back to TAG (even if the Lemania 1873 is common enough to be worked on by any watchmaker)

8. calcheng

calcheng Feb 20, 2021

Cheers, buddy! I do appreciate your feedback. The LVMH service centre is Singapore came back saying that the internal policy is to send all vintage watches back to Switerzland for servicing (which is as described here: ttps://www.watchuseek.com/threads/autavia-back-from-service-wanted-to-share-my-experience.4365970/).

I completely understand your fear - the whole point of me creating this thread is to avoid the nightmare of having my watch show up with serviced hands etc. I'll look around for an independent repair shop to see if they can resolve this issue locally.

9. calcheng

calcheng Mar 26, 2021

Hi guys

A quick update on this front. It turns out the official diagnosis from the independent watch maker is that the main plate will need to be repaired. This will cost me close to USD 750.

I spoke to the LVMH service centre and LVMH has confirmed that they do have the parts to replace the main plate but they are unable to provide me with a specific quote. The official response is that it will cost me a minimum of CHF 1000.

What do you reckon is the best way forward? I am told that the repair is not a major one. But I am also not sure how long will that repair hold up for, despite the promise of a 1 year warranty period. Should I bite the bullet and opt for a replacement?

Any response/feedback will be much appreciated!

10. abrod520

abrod520 Mar 26, 2021

Ask what it is on the mainplate that requires repair. This isn't completely uncommon, and a skilled watchmaker can certainly restore it to a point where it'll continue to run for years without issues. And of course if it doesn't need to be replaced, then why bother?

Also, is $750 the cost for the mainplate repair only or is this the quote for the full movement service?

11. calcheng

calcheng Apr 7, 2021

Hey buddy

Sorry for the delay in my response. So I finally found the time to head down to speak to the watch maker in person and it turns out that it is just a one tiny section of the base plate that needs to be reshaped (as circled in the image below). valjoux72_100_1_1200x1200.jpg ).

From his professional opinion, he felt that the movement is still in good shape so his advice was not to waste money (as you have pointed out!). The quote of $750 includes a full movement service.

Thank you once again, you have been extremely helpful and I do genuinely appreciate your time. I am now patiently awaiting for him to be done with the repair and service, so that i can be reunited with my watch again.

I hope you (and every other reader on this forum) are having a great week.

Anthony.R and abrod520 like this.
  12. abrod520

abrod520 Apr 7, 2021

Yep, re-shaping one of the pivot holes (can't recall the correct terminology) is a common need for older movements like this, so you should be just fine once he's done :thumbsup:

calcheng likes this.
  13. calcheng

calcheng Apr 24, 2021

And... she's home!

Just wanted to say a big thank you to @abrod520 and everyone else who have contributed to this thread over the past few months. I am most grateful for all your time and insights!

tempImageDrHdOg.png
  14. imagwai

imagwai Apr 24, 2021

Looks great, congrats

calcheng likes this.
  15. abrod520

abrod520 Apr 24, 2021

Beautiful :thumbsup:

calcheng likes this.
  16. SteveP

SteveP Apr 25, 2021

Looks fantastic! :thumbsup::cool: