Forums Latest Members

Selling advice to flip Tudor for Aquaracer

1. Ironliberty

Ironliberty Sep 23, 2015

Hey guys.

I bought a Tudor Grantour Date on leather less than a year ago, right before falling in love with TAG, wishing I had a heavy watch on stainless to grace my wrist with its icy feeling awesomeness, and travelling around since February looking at the watch on my wrist with the backdrop of beautiful beaches, romantic old cities, and nice restaurants and feeling.....close to nothing. Not the James Bond-esque spirit of adventure and love for the ocean I now crave in a dive watch. The Tudor only makes me feel something when I look at it off the wrist, but that feeling is also limited. I suppose its a bit like a woman, just because she"s gorgeous certainly doesn't automatically make her your eternal soulmate. So now for quite some time, Ive been doing my homework for my next piece, which has been decidedly the new Aquaracer Calibre 16 300m in blue on stainless (thanks to the advice of some of you guys on a previous post).

The dilemma is that I have come to the conclusion that after buying the Tudor and a Formula 1 for my lady on a cruise, I have no business having nearly 7 grand (US) wrapped up in watches, even though the Tudor has a purpose in my wardrobe being smaller, flatter and toned down for professional occasions. So after being at peace knowing that the best decision to sell the Tudor had been realized, I sent in photos to a dealer in Miami that comes well recommended for a quote. They just replied with an offer that is truly pathetic, which is $500 to buy or $700 consignment, and this watch was bought for $2,400 and should sell for at least $1,700 IMO. I could of course ride it out and sell in another 4 years or so, but then I would still be a moron for adding another $3,600 to the amount Ive thrown to the wind for this insane hobby this year. Could any of you point me in the right direction to get the best value out of this piece? I know where people sell, but Im not sure I want to deal with random people in other countries trying to use Paypal to buy an expensive item but any help would be appreciated.

2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Sep 23, 2015

Yeah, that offer from the dealer is rubbish. I do have some sympathies for dealers is that they need to put money into inventory and then do the work to sell the watch..but come on, at $500 you may as well give it to him!

I'd recommend firstly working out the range of prices that these sell for (sorry- I don't know). Let's say that its $1500-1700 (check Timezone's sales forum- while their discussion forum is kind of dead, their sales forum is still the best in my view). Now you at least have a range- if you need to sell fast, then you have to price at $1500- if you can be patient, then pitch higher.

What will sell the watch are the photos. I'm amazed when people put such little effort into photos for expensive items...good photos can sell the watch- even for someone just casually looking.

Try listing the watch here (although obviously we're more Heuer/ TAG Heuer focused) and Timezone and then you can also try eBay with a minimum price.

Lastly, while I would never want to encourage you to spend more on watches (hah, if only I took my own advice ;) ), you are selling the watch at probably it's lowest point- i.e. one year in. I used to have a "one-in-one-out" approach, so I get the logic, but you will take a hit.

Good luck!

boat2dan likes this.
  3. Ironliberty

Ironliberty Sep 30, 2015

Bump

4. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Oct 5, 2015

No luck?

5. dtf

dtf Oct 5, 2015

Keep the Tudor :)

6. Ironliberty

Ironliberty Oct 5, 2015

I have still not listed it, but I will be soon. I have been dealing with a dilemma for buying the new watch. I put a deposit down on the new 300m and got word back an hour later that the old 500m would be in the outlet in two weeks time for 40% off retail, as is. My wallet is now begging me to go with the 500. Do you have any thoughts about buying a new but older watch with no warranty? I dont mind paying for servicing in a few years as long as I am saving $1k right now.

7. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Oct 5, 2015

For me, I'd pick the one you prefer. I'd hate the idea of getting my "second favourite" watch and save $1k rather than buying the one that will make you happy each time you put it on.

Of course, if you like them both the same, then no problems. I'd have no issue buying a new watch from the outlet without a warranty...bit riskier, but on balance I'd do it