Retrospective -- The "First Generation" Glassbox Carreras

I've just published a posting covering the 10 models included in the "First Generation" of the Glassbox Carreras. Of course, all these models have been discussed extensively here, but it was good fun to compile all 10 of them into one posting, and see what they shared and how the models differed.

Here is the posting -- Retrospective — The “First Generation” Glassbox Carrera Chronographs (2015 to 2023)

So make the case for your favorites -- was it "best for last" with the Panda? Or did Hodinkee win the prize with the Skipper or Dato? Some years later, the Rake / Revolution "Blue Dreamer" is looking good.

I hope that readers will enjoy the posting.

Jeff

01_FirstGeneration_Square1200.jpg 02_Carrera_Glassbox_SkipperA.jpg 03_Carrera60.jpg 04_Carrera60_2447.jpg 05_Fragment_1200.jpg 06_BlueDreamer.jpg 07_Dato_HodLE_Square.jpg

Best till last, panda. Probably. Except... I think I actually like the Blue Dreamer the best.

I did a thread on all these glassboxes a while back and we all voted for our favourites. I'll see if I can dig it out...

Panda for me, although I don’t really think there is a bad one among them - they all have their different charms.

Would love to get my hands on a skipper if I could (and I had the money).

Great to see this data . . . I had seen it some time ago, but wasn't sure how to locate it. Yes, in retrospect, the Montreal was a mistake and the Telemeter was a bit of a mess. I'm surprised to see the low score for the Fragment, which is a favorite for me.

Thanks again for compiling and posting this data!!

Jeff

Jeff's votes confirm the vibe I was getting from his post. :D

It's still the silver 160 for me too, interesting especially because the silver / eggshell white originals aren't my bag so much as the black dials. But something about the modern silver sunburst is just so much more interesting than a black dial one would have been IMO.

A close second is the Hodinkee Dato.

What about the elephant in the room? Perhaps the more relevant question is which gen do you prefer better, first gen "heritage" glassbox or new gen retro-modern glassbox? :whistling:

The jury is still out, as I haven't owned one yet, but I believe that I strongly prefer the Second Generation. The distortion in the First Generation crystal is a "deal breaker" for me. I own the Hodinkee Skipper, but that's my only Glassbox Carrera.

This image is pretty much the clincher for me . . . the Second Generation is a bit "futuristic", with the Ressence-style, edge-to-edge crystal, but the distortion in the First Generation has always been an issue for me.

Jeff

Glassbox_Generations_Profile_2490.jpg

The 160th Panda really marked the crescendo for the first gen glassbox. That dial is pure Heuer.

Here's my run down/rank and the first things that come to mind for each one:

1 - 160th Panda: A 10/10 design if you love vintage Heuer. Or better yet, Tag Heuer finally scored 100% on a vintage Heuer test.
2 - Blue Dreamer: Art piece. All blue monotone color scheme? Ballsy.
3 - Hodinkee Skipper - The Comeback. Hard to argue its significance in 2017 and beyond for the Carrera.
4 - Ice King - Beautiful. Clean. Classy. Plus, fauxtina done right.
5 - Hodinkee Dato - A future classic. Check back in 10 years.
6 - Fujiawara - Hype move. An all black dial as the follow up to the Hodinkee Skipper really showed what a heritage Heuer glassbox could be.
7- Montreal - I love that they made it but feel like it's missing something.
8 - Green / Teal Dial - too shiny
9 - Red Dial - too shiny
10 - Telemeter - Origin of the Species.

---

I know you've said 10 was enough Jeff, but I really think a dozen of the first gen would've been more satisfying. Perhaps a gold and black version, or even a Seafarer to round out the 2 nautical ones that came before it.

But I suppose shifting to a new design Carrera / second gen glassbox would mean having to save any cool ideas for later.

It's impressive to me that TAG Heuer has already produced nine versions of the Second Generation Glassbox, counting the 39 mm and the 42 mm . . . and these are not limited editions (except for the two Porsche pieces) . . . so they can really fill the display cases and catalogs with these watches. The sales associates who I have spoken with are enthusiastic about Second Generation, as they never had many of the First Generation watches to actually sell.

What about the elephant in the room? Perhaps the more relevant question is which gen do you prefer better, first gen "heritage" glassbox or new gen retro-modern glassbox? :whistling:
Honestly doesn’t photograph well up close at all. Dealbreaker is too soft of a word for me with that patchy dial.

Love the energy behind going back to their “heritage roots” with the new gen glassbox Carrera but TH was already there in my opinion. The 160th Panda is a 10/10 I believe. That dial is pure Heuer.

I often wonder if a 11th version of the first gen glassbox (perhaps with the distortion addressed to appease folks and some other design updates) would've been just as attention grabbing as the new one if it had been added as a permanent part of the collection instead.

In closing, if they address the curved, patchy inner dial on the new gen glassbox I will personally be happy (as a designer by trade) and will open up my wallet (as a consumer). Until then I just can't do it. I don't think the new dial on the 39mm is where it should be. The rest of the watch is nice. But the 39mm dial looks like a plastic toy up close.

This image is pretty much the clincher for me . . . the Second Generation is a bit "futuristic", with the Ressence-style, edge-to-edge crystal, but the distortion in the First Generation has always been an issue for me.

Jeff

Glassbox_Generations_Profile_2490.jpg
I guess it's a question of the lesser of two evils for me. I can live with the distortion on a piece like the 60th Anniversary Panda, as there's no way I could afford to buy a vintage 2447SN. OTOH, the concave & convex skateboard rink on the new glassbox is something I'm still warming up to. Sometimes it seems ok, at other times it's not ok.
It's impressive to me that TAG Heuer has already produced nine versions of the Second Generation Glassbox, counting the 39 mm and the 42 mm . . . and these are not limited editions (except for the two Porsche pieces) . . . so they can really fill the display cases and catalogs with these watches. The sales associates who I have spoken with are enthusiastic about Second Generation, as they never had many of the First Generation watches to actually sell.
It's great that the new glassbox is very successful, I'm happy for TAG Heuer. I'll probably own one someday, but the right one hasn't come along yet.

I've learned to live with the distortion of the 1st gen crystal but I think the 2nd gen in 42mm is a truly excellent design. I feel that it makes the 39mm feel smaller though, which for some may be a benefit but for me gives me a little bit of pause.