Forums Latest Members
  1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 9, 2015

Coming up this weekend I'll post an overview of the TAG Heuer S/el series, which is one of the most important series TAG Heuer has released. On the positive side, it was a huge sales success and was at one point the brand's best selling watch.

However, it's fair to say that the design hasn't aged that well- most people today are not a fan of either the soft, rounded case, the chunky bracelet or the bezel. The watch is undeniably a product of the '80s.

How do you look back on the S/el? Will these ever come back into fashion?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

automobilia42 and Kuby like this.
  2. Kuby

Kuby Jan 9, 2015

The S/el series has never worked for me and I cannot ever see the design returning to favour because the lugs are limited to the orginal bracelet.

Edited Jan 9, 2015
  3. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 9, 2015

Who knows, the styling may come back at some point. Either way, I never liked it either, so it won't be for me.

4. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2015

Does have a Miami Vice vibe about it but I loved that bracelet, never owned one but had some mates that did and loved the feel of it, there was a substantialness to it when a lot of 80s bracelet felt flimsy.

5. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 11, 2015

6. elbeik

elbeik Jan 11, 2015

My main issue is with the bracelet.
    It would look more contemporary if a nato strap could be fitted.

7. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 11, 2015

By the way, thanks to Lloyd at tagexchange.co.uk, here is a S/el price list from 1998
    Scan0010.jpg

8. jbhoo

jbhoo Jan 11, 2015

Hi DC, I love the link and the SEL they started me on my obsession with Tag (I have 5 now). I have only purchased new but would love to add a SEL to my collection, I was wondering if you or any members could recommend any preowned dealers (uk) that would carry any sel's or give any tips to look out for when purchasing a second hand SEL.
    Cheers john

9. ucsfgabe

ucsfgabe Jan 12, 2015

Takes a lickin' but keeps on tickin'

My first Tag Heuer...(now my wife's) :)

[​IMG]

10. AussieAlex

AussieAlex Jan 12, 2015

I find it staggering that after 15-20 years, someone still has brand new S/ELs for sale (I hope you don't mind DC).

11. automobilia42

automobilia42 Jan 13, 2015

Great article about the S/EL Series, loved reading it!

12. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 13, 2015

Thanks. A few weeks back I contacted Eddy Schopfer, the designer of the original S/el, and excited that he sent me back a fax (!) last night...I'll update the story over the next couple of days

13. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Jun 25, 2020

I'm a longtime viewer of this site, but this is my first posting. So let's jump straight in and admit to something which seems like admitting to a horrible secret : -

I really like the S/el series.

I'm a motorsport fan ( Jo Siffert won the first race I ever went to ). And there was something special about the McLaren 'glory years' of 1984-1993. Of course, that means Senna, but also Ron Dennis who can be seen wearing a metal-bracelet S/el in many photos of that era.

I'm not a collector or investor - a 1500 ( bought from tag exchange ten years ago ) has been on my wrist every day since. Some of my 'Covid-19 lockdown reading' has been about Senna. I'd hankered after an S/el for years so used the excess time to search the internet. S/els can be had quite cheaply, but there are some quite rough ones around. Tag exchange ( again ! ) came up with a near perfect standard S/el Leather with grey dial and new black strap. Quite a handsome watch. A few weeks later, another UK dealer advertised a quartz 1/10 Chronometer CG1110 with all boxes and books.

Took the plunge. It's a beauty - black dial, brushed steel, perfect bracelet. In fact, no blemishes at all visible under magnification. And the warranty card is dated 9/9/99 - so it fits into the real TAG era.

OK - it's not like Senna's. But I love it !

99LinkEd, Calibre11, Nonsense and 5 others like this.
  14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jun 25, 2020

Welcome to the forum Martin, I quite agree with you about the S/EL, I have three of them and wear them all regularly (well, except my CG1110 which has been stuck in the workshop since the lockdown started!). It is a very divisive model for sure, but we know how comfortable that bracelet is don't we? Like to see some pics of your s/el and 1500 please!

15. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jun 25, 2020

You're not alone, I love the S/el. :thumbsup:
    For years it was my absolute favorite watch and I wore one daily throughout the 90's and into the 2000's. I own three (four if I include my wife's), all bought new back in the 90's. DSCN1142.JPG

I still wear my Senna S/el. :)
    Senna SEL 1.jpg

16. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Jun 25, 2020

Many thanks for the warm welcome - and also to Mspeedster for the mouthwatering photos.

Aquagraph requested some pix - but as a ( very ) newbie I'll have to find out how it works ( I've also been badly burned by the Photobucket fiasco ).

Anyhow, I'm very happy to have revived the thread a little. To tell the truth, I was rather shocked that this was about the only S/el one I could find....surely, I thought, they can't be THAT unpopular....?

17. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jun 25, 2020

On the contrary, the S/el was extremely popular in its day. In the 90's it was one of the "IT" watches to have. I remember seeing them everywhere. But I believe the reason it isn't discussed much here is because of the following:
    1) Much like the Swatch watch of the same era, the S/el has fallen out of fashion. It has also been superseded by the Link series.
    2) This forum is relatively new (started in 2015), so most of the discussion here has focused on TAG Heuer's newer releases from the last 5 years or so.

Anyway, congrats on your S/el, enjoy it in good health! :thumbsup:

Martin Bull likes this.
  18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jun 25, 2020

You don't need to use a photo host you can just upload pictures direct from your laptop to the thread. Just click 'add photos' button below and it will search your desktop. :thumbsup:

Martin Bull likes this.
  19. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Jun 25, 2020

Many thanks Mspeedester for the explanation - I hadn't realised how 'youthful' the Forum is ! The Mansour Ojjeh/Ron Dennis era is of great interest to me ; at least I don't feel so embarrassed at bringing some life to an old thread.

And thanks to Aquagraph ; I never even saw the 'add photo' button.....So - let's try some photos. Apologies for the 'snapshot' quality - I took the 1500 off my wrist to photograph it. It's collected a scratch or two now but it's been a long way with me over the last ten years ( including Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Spa Francorchamps, Reims and Rouen-les-Essarts...)

Not much of a collection, but I like 'em !:)

P1030760.JPG P1030761.JPG P1030762.JPG

20. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jun 25, 2020

That's a nice trio of TAG Heuers indeed! I wish the date on my 1500 was as central as yours... also you have the other dial on your CG110, mine is the older style without the subdial rings IMG_6043.jpg (at least I think mine was the original style, I could be wrong about that).

Maybe I should do a post about that...

Martin Bull and Albert-AMG like this.