Forums Latest Members

Red Bull-TAG Heuer: F1 Sponsorship in 2016

1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 17, 2015

Credit to @rage2 who noted here that TAG Heuer will move its F1 Sponsorship to Red Bull in 2016, ending the relationship with McLaren after 30 years.

JC Biver was asked here about moving TAG Heuer's sponsorship to Red Bull: "Oui, nous venons de signer Red Bull Racing en F1 pour la saison prochaine...."

"Yes, we have just signed Red Bull Racing in F1 for next season. It is a young, dynamic, go-getter, perfectly consistent with the TAG Heuer strategy"

Sorry to see the end of the McLaren relationship, but I'm a big Ricciardo fan
    [​IMG]

2. AussieAlex

AussieAlex Nov 17, 2015

Very interesting. What does that mean for Ron Dennis? Does he still have an interest in TAG Heuer, or did that end when LVMH took over?

3. Calibre11

He sold his shares when TAG Heuer was floated in 1999

4. WernerBoeinck

WernerBoeinck Nov 17, 2015

A very interesting Tuesday. I would never have believed to see
    a "divorce" between TAGHeuer and McLaren. I also didn't know
    that Ron Dennis had sold his shares earlier. Nevertheless he
    certainly will have said "Ouch" hearing of the TAGHeuer decision. A relationship lasting 30 years is a monument these days. I also understand that TAGHeuer did not want to see their logo in the cellar of formula 1 any longer. (Sorry)
    A little curious the situation with Red Bull for 2016:
    They have an engine for next year, but they "do not yet know" the name of the manufacturer. At least they now know the name of their watch manufacturer. Something to rely on.
    Will they also have a TAG eingine in their cars?
    Once upon a time......

Cheers
    Werner

5. elbeik

elbeik Nov 17, 2015

I really wish Mercedes-Benz didn't go with IWC. I kind of miss those limited editions.
    Not a fan at all of the IWC Ingenieur.

6. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 17, 2015

The new Renault engine Danny Ric was using last race, which Renault spent all year working on, 11 engine tokens to bring to track, and in rejection of Mario Illien's advice which Red Bull paid for, is apparently... 20hp less than the previous Renault. They developed it all year and made an engine worse than the one they already had, which was in turn worse than the 2014 engine. Really want Dan to get a WDC but I hope they're able to choose their own path next year, otherwise if they're stuck with Renault TAG Heuer could be watching this year with McLaren Honda all over again. Honda at least know whats wrong and intend to fix it, Renault seem to be completely inept.

7. rage2

rage2 Nov 17, 2015

I've been a McLaren fan since forever, and it's sad to see my 2 favorite watch brands move on to enemy grounds. TAG Heuer to Red Bull, and Hublot to Ferrari. This sucks.

8. dsio

Wonder if its possible that JCB doesn't like McLaren/Dennis too much, he'd have been the one making the Ferrari deal for Hublot as well.

9. rage2

rage2 Nov 17, 2015

Hublot was never a McLaren sponsor. They sponsored F1, and my guess was that it's a lot cheaper to sponsor a team than the whole sport via Bernie.

10. dsio

No I meant he's been with McLaren's biggest competitor in the past in Ferrari

11. Calibre11

No, I think it's a lot simpler than that. If you look at where JCB wants to position TAG Heuer, there is a better overlap with Red Bull than McLaren- even though there was a hell of a lot of value in the McLaren relationship given its longevity. The second factor will be that there have been some former Red Bull marketing managers join TAG Heuer recently who I'm sure bring perspectives on the power of Red Bull as a brand and how they generate engagement.

12. rage2

rage2 Nov 18, 2015

Well let's hope Red Bull actually has an engine next year...

13. TP61

TP61 Nov 19, 2015

End of an era :thumbsdown:
    [​IMG]

Jacket in the pic is in the McLaren store end of season sale £120 down to £30

14. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 1, 2015

Seems to be more and more rumours floating around about the Red Bull rebadged engine possibly being called a TAG as the 80s Porsche turbo engine was:

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2015/12/01/notebook-from-abu-dhabi/

Bit of a co-incidence both TAG Heuer pulling out and switching to Red Bull after 30 years and former TH owner and current TAG owner Mansour Ojjeh also dumping his McLaren stock at the same time when Red Bull are in need of a new engine brand partner.

15. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 1, 2015

Also to quote Christian Horner:

Now the only thing he wouldn't be happy with is a Honda, or possibly a Mercedes. A rebranded and modified Renault which it nearly certainly is would be perfectly acceptable in Ron's eyes as he feels the Honda will be far better next year once the ERS is fixed.

A TAG branded engine with TH and Mansour's TAG backing it would definitely bother Ron immensely.

16. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Dec 1, 2015

Would be an amazing deal, but Joe is right- "TAG" and "TAG Heuer" are two totally separate companies.

Let's see...

17. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 3, 2015

Just posted an hour ago... Swiss Engineering closing the gap to next season... With TAG Heuer branding and engineers in TAG Heuer white coats working on the exposed engine of the 2016 Red Bull

image.jpeg

When asked if this is the new Red Bull engine deal, TAG Heuers official Twitter replied with "Stay tuned"

image.png

Looks like we're about to see Red Bull TAG Racing :D And yea Ron won't be happy

18. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 3, 2015

Even more entertainingly, RenaultSport F1's head Cyril Abiteboul, who Horner was openly taking the Mickey out of at the Abu Dhabi GP comments in reply to Red Bull's TAG Heuer engine photo:

Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 10.05.36 PM.jpg

Only to be heckled by the fans for his crummy engine:

Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 10.06.56 PM.jpg

19. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Dec 3, 2015

20. WernerBoeinck

WernerBoeinck Dec 3, 2015

In the past there were complaints that the new generation engines are not loud enough. Will a "ticking engine be
    accepted?