Forums Latest Members

Questions on new Autavia 1163 with Cal 11

1. zakruvalcaba

zakruvalcaba Sep 7, 2021

Hello everyone...new member here with some questions on a recently acquired Autavia. I purchased this Autavia on eBay for what I considered a good price. My question is that it was marketed as a "Viceroy". After doing some research, I've come to the conclusion that Viceroy models had the Cal 12 movement and a Tach bezel. This model has the MH bezel and is a Cal 11 model. Is it simply an earlier Autavia and not specifically a "Viceroy"? I tried looking up the reference for this on the OTD website and it seems like the only Cal 11 models has the 3-6-9-12 register and not the 1-12 register. Any idea what I have here? Thanks in advance.

Zak

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg
  2. imagwai

imagwai Sep 7, 2021

There's no 100% definitive rules for these watches as parts were often used up on different models. All the information on On The Dash has been pieced together by collectors based on what they've seen or learned.

2 questions...
    Does it have a "V" underneath the "1163" between the lugs? And what's the first 3 digits of the serial number (should be between the lugs on the other side).

Quite easy that someone would sell this is a Viceroy, though, even if it's a "pre-Viceroy".

Calibre11 and zakruvalcaba like this.
  3. zakruvalcaba

zakruvalcaba Sep 7, 2021

Thanks for quick reply. I haven't received the watch yet, it's currently in transit and scheduled to arrive on the 14th. Those will be the first items I check once it arrives and I will report back. Thanks!

s-l1600 (6).jpg
  4. abrod520

abrod520 Sep 7, 2021

It's possible this is from either before the Viceroy promotion, or early on. But many Viceroys came with the MH bezel as well; besides, other than the 1163 V case marking the Viceroy watches were identical to the standard production.

paysdoufs, Calibre11 and zakruvalcaba like this.
  5. zakruvalcaba

zakruvalcaba Sep 7, 2021

This is great info....so to confirm the "V" must be present under the 1163 in order for this to be a Viceroy? I couldn't care less to be quite honest, I'm more interested in knowing EXACTLY what I have rather than if this is a Viceroy or not.

6. abrod520

abrod520 Sep 7, 2021

Technically, yes - later ones may not have it as the Viceroy promotion was a lot more popular than Heuer expected, and so they just started shipping normal ones to meet demand, but this one would be on the early side given that it's powered by a Cal 11-i rather than a 12.

Calibre11 and zakruvalcaba like this.
  7. zakruvalcaba

zakruvalcaba Sep 7, 2021

Perfect, thank you. I'll post the info once the watch arrives.

8. zakruvalcaba

zakruvalcaba Sep 9, 2021

Just received the watch. Removed the strap and it clearly says 1163 with NO 'V' underneath. Serial is a 6 digit serial beginning with 241. Cal 11. Safe to assume this is a pre-Viceroy all things considered?

IMG_6894.JPG
    Edited Sep 9, 2021
    Snowy and imagwai like this.
  9. imagwai

imagwai Sep 9, 2021

Hard to be certain but my guess would be an early pre-Viceroy.

zakruvalcaba likes this.
  10. zakruvalcaba

zakruvalcaba Sep 9, 2021

What would you guess value? It's in great condition. I picked it up for $3050...

11. imagwai

imagwai Sep 9, 2021

Hmm, not been keeping much of an eye on prices since I sold my Viceroy but would guess asking prices would be around £3000 (GBP), maybe selling slightly below that. Values on vintage watches depend on so much, though. If you managed to buy it for $3000, then arguably that is probably the most reliable measure of how much it's currently worth! :)

zakruvalcaba likes this.
  12. abrod520

abrod520 Sep 10, 2021

That's just a tick before the Viceroy promotion, so it makes sense and more or less so does the 11-i. $3k is about right depending on condition. Most importantly, do you enjoy it for the price you paid - that's all that matters really.

paysdoufs and zakruvalcaba like this.
  13. Yago

Yago Sep 10, 2021

Customers had a choice of T or MH bezels. Looks like a nice original watch with all the parts, nice patina, all lume dots still present, no clear signs of polishing. You certainly didn’t overpay and should be able to get your money back should you ever wish to sell. Which I don’t advise you to do ;)

14. zakruvalcaba

zakruvalcaba Sep 10, 2021

Thanks for the feedback gents. I certainly enjoy the watch on my wrist a whole heck of a lot more than I thought I would when I bought it. Not crazy about the strap but that's an easy swap. I'm happy with the price I paid and I will certainly enjoy the watch for many years. A buddy gifted me his 1981 Heuer ref 844 which he bought new. I will post that on another thread but that's what fueled my interest in purchasing another vintage Heuer and that's the story behind this Autavia purchase.

PhillipDB likes this.
  15. zakruvalcaba

zakruvalcaba Sep 10, 2021

You can see the "i" there? I couldn't make it out. :unsure:

16. abrod520

abrod520 Sep 11, 2021

Nope, just saw some of the updated components.

zakruvalcaba likes this.