Forums Latest Members

Qualcomm's next gen chipset announced SEP 10

1. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Aug 7, 2018

Qualcomm's next gen chipset will be announced SEP 10.
    upload_2018-8-7_15-10-8.png
    https://www.droid-life.com/2018/08/07/qualcomm-wearable-event/

Who's with me hoping this new architecture will power future TAG Heuer Connected models?

2. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Aug 7, 2018

If so, I hope TAG Heuer also will sell the new connected module alone, compatible with the modular 45/41 lugs and straps, so we could upgrade just the connected module and keep lugs/straps/buckles from the brilliant modular concept...

Otherwise I will keep my current Intel/TH module because I’m happy with it (It’s enough for me: I have hundreds of TH WatchMaker faces inside, I can use a different face every day in “always on” mode and the battery lasts my normal day, and I’m receiving all notifications from my iPhone X), so I’m not interested in upgrading it if I have to buy a complete connected TH again

TjPhysicist and Hubert like this.
  3. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Aug 7, 2018

Google will supposedly to ship a Pixel watch, using this new chipset. So, if TAG Heuer doesn't offer a new Connected watch (I would be surprised if they don't), then I may just give that Pixel watch a try.

4. Good Times

Good Times Aug 7, 2018

Ditto, I sincerely hope they offer a module-only and don't change sizes again. Offering mechanical modules is one thing to alleviate obsolescence, but many of us want to continue with smart modules without having to replace the entire watch every 18 months or whatever it is. Fingers crossed!

lottze and Albert-AMG like this.
  5. Feanor

Feanor Aug 9, 2018

I'm also hopeful but I see two issues; first there is no guarantee that TAG Heuer is preparing a new smartwatch. Depends on how well the current one has sold, I guess. Second, TAG has a contract with Intel. If it's ongoing, then TAG Heuer cannot have access to a competing chipset.

6. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Sep 10, 2018

From https://www.droid-life.com/2018/09/...r-3100-is-here-with-emphasis-on-battery-life/

upload_2018-9-10_11-20-14.png
    upload_2018-9-10_11-20-35.png

upload_2018-9-10_11-21-3.png

upload_2018-9-10_11-21-26.png

7. TGHC45

TGHC45 Sep 10, 2018

8. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Sep 10, 2018

9. ddaenen1

ddaenen1 Sep 11, 2018

kwilcox and Albert-AMG like this.
  10. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Sep 11, 2018

I agree; no contest on the design.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  11. kwilcox

kwilcox Sep 12, 2018

I will probably upgrade when TH puts out a watch featuring this processor. Battery life is my only complaint currently. It would be nice if they offered a standalone module purchase option so I could continue to use my lug/strap collection.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  12. TGHC45

TGHC45 Sep 12, 2018

If you are using watchmaker watch faces they will drain your battery quick .. TH watch faces are perfect and I get a whole day out of my watch .. usually when I go to bed I put my watch on to charge and I still have about 55-60% of juice :)

13. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Sep 12, 2018

Yes, some WatchMaker faces drain the battery very quick, but others don’t... so it depends on the face (OPR, script, ressolution of the images, animation/dynamics...).

Some of the WM faces I’m using every day with “always on mode”, and DIM options off (I prefer it’s always showing a proper watch face, not a skeleton) are consuming about 55-60% of the battery in 11 hours, so there’s still a good % when I arrive at home (I have the watch with GPS on, but NFC off).

14. TGHC45

TGHC45 Sep 12, 2018

I tried yesterday watchmaker and didn't really find any watch face up to how TH watch faces .. I think this is just a personal opinion ..

15. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Sep 12, 2018

Yes, of course the original TH faces already installed in the watch are better battery consumers than WatchMaker faces, but the standard faces just show you a skeleton face when dimmed :unsure:... Some WM faces are quite good saving battery to let you see a proper face all day, and also keeping enough battery to last a normal day. It’s just a matter to find (or to customize) the WM faces with low battery consumption! :)

TGHC45 likes this.
  16. kwilcox

kwilcox Sep 13, 2018

I do use a custom watchmaker face that I personally enhanced from an excellent base. It shows some color on the ambient display (TH Logo, red dots on markers, red second hand). The second hand also shows remaining battery life in ambient mode which is a big plus for me. I might play with a standard watch face to see if it has an impact but probably wouldn't go with one even if it did because the skeleton watch faces are just too plain for me.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  17. TGHC45

TGHC45 Sep 13, 2018

Would be nice to have a screen saver such as TH logo in ambient mode :)

18. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Dec 30, 2018

19. TjPhysicist

TjPhysicist Dec 30, 2018

I mean...aren't all these companies basically owned by LVMH? So I don't see why not? (he says hopefully). Anyways, IDK how Montblanc and the other 3100 watches are but I REALLY hope TH at least let's us have full color and WATCH looking watch faces in the "enhanced ambient mode", that's the ONE THING I hate about the connected is the TH apps BEAUTIFUL faces go into this dumb "8 bit"/black white only type mode. Like not even asking for colors or too fancy, even just basic black background with white markings can be DONE WELL to make it look like a proper watch.

20. Feanor

Feanor Dec 30, 2018