Forums Latest Members
  1. Lugduno

Lugduno Apr 3, 2018

What're the biggest differences between the Fenix 5 and Connected that make you choose the Fenix?

I was visiting an AD today and tried on the 45mm reference since they had not received the 41mm yet. It's a big watch, but viewed from a bit of distance it actually doesn't look that ridiculous!
    Untitled.jpg

2. Iñaki

Iñaki Apr 3, 2018

I have also a Fenix 5x and the Connected 45 and use both, the firat to sports ( very good to training sessions, pulse,..) and the Connected to the rest of activities. I think that the connected looks better with less sporty clothes

3. gunnerroy

gunnerroy Apr 4, 2018

Buy the 45 it looks good doesn’t look too big imho

4. jezwick

jezwick Apr 4, 2018

I commute to work by bike and I've started using the heart rate monitor on the fenix to interval train, as I have on my recreational rides.. The Garmin connected app is awesome too I now have some Garmin scales linked in :).., so much information available, its been very well designed.

Given it can also go 2 weeks without a charge means that it also works properly as a sleep tracker ..

5. Lugduno

Lugduno Apr 4, 2018

Thanks for your feedback! The watch looks rather big on my wrist, at least from my perspective as a wearer. With that being said, you want a large screen on a smartwatch and it was a happy surprise to see that it actually looks quite good from a distance. I've honestly overlooked this several times, but this experience really taught me that it looks very different from different perspectives and most people besides myself will, of course, see it from that perspective.

6. Lugduno

Lugduno Apr 4, 2018

Ah, thank you! I had the Microsoft Band (both first and second generation) and enjoyed the heart rate monitor, but I can easily live without it since I'm not doing too much cardio. Sleep tracking is also cool, but something that was fun for the first weeks as a kind of gimmick, after that it showed rather useless for me.

7. vicsalt

vicsalt Apr 4, 2018

Sorry guys you don't buy the TAG connected if you are after a smart watch, well over priced and inferior . You buy the TAG because of the brand and its luxury status, It stands out not another apple watch user etc..

No one should be recommending other smart watches, you are in the wrong forum completely.

I purchase mine because Ive wanted a TAG for over 30 years and wanted to use it every day not on special occasions, I also needed notifications. SO Connected was my only choice

TGHC45, Cecil, kwilcox and 1 other person like this.
  8. Carrera911

Carrera911 Apr 4, 2018

I see it as an addition, not as a substitute to my other Tag...I love it!

9. AndySix

AndySix Apr 4, 2018

Totally agree with that. I have a Garmin Chronos which is basically a fenix 5. Use it mainly for workouts and if I need a more rugged watch and for the beach/pool. And the screen is much better in strong sunlight. :whistling:

10. TjPhysicist

TjPhysicist Jan 13, 2019

I never really got why people say that, in general about wearOS when comparing it to samsung's watch platform and Apples watchOS. If you are using the platform it was designed for (iphone in case of watchOS, and android in case of wearOS), in general there isn't really anything apple watch can do that an android watch cannot. (EEG thing comes to mind, but I still think it's more of a gimmick that anything). Although, specifically Tag doesn't have HRM, that's the one thing you'll miss if you care about that (I don't for example). If you're looking for HRM, I'd say Fossil is a good bet (in terms of classic looking watches).

Although I agree with everyone above: if you have an iPhone unless you really dislike how an apple watch looks (like I do) and are willing to compromise some supposed functionality go for apple watch or pebble or fenix - something that is created equally for both platforms or is created specifically for iPhone.

11. TjPhysicist

TjPhysicist Jun 28, 2019

Oh good, I'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks the 45mm could certainly be bigger. The odd thing is, the Carrera Calibre line (which shares design language with Connected ofc, like they're clearly the same family) looks SO MUCH bigger in person and in pics for some reason..even though those line of watches are 43mm or 45mm (as per the websites). There's a boutique in the mall near my house that has a couple of Carrera watches on display and everytime i walk by I always think "why does that watch look so much bigger and cleaner than mine...they design is almost IDENTICAL, except for the "black wings" on the connected watches (i assume thats where electronics are?)

BMW Works likes this.
  12. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jun 28, 2019

The 46mm Connected was a better size. I am hopeful next year's model will be an improvement, especially on the "wings".

TGHC45 and TjPhysicist like this.
  13. TjPhysicist

TjPhysicist Jun 29, 2019

I haven't seen one IRL but i think it looks SO MUCH better, at least in pictures i've seen (also, the screen was a slightly different tech wasn't it? looked better too, esp, in sunlight).

14. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jun 29, 2019

Yes, that was the argument towards using an LCD instead of AMOLED; it was far more legible outside and it had better batter life. Also the 1st gen had double the memory, so the speed and touch responsiveness was noticeably better. As for the aesthetics that is arguable, although I think from the top, they were a bit better. Although the materials and overall finish was not as good as in the Modular.
    upload_2019-6-29_20-29-49.png

15. TjPhysicist

TjPhysicist Jun 29, 2019

oh i know what it is...it's the rounded edges on the bezel on the modular. 1st gen had DOUBLE the memory, dang taht's awesome. Good to know at least that they improved on the materials, materials on the THC45 is awesome IMO.

16. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jun 30, 2019

I think the main advantage and improvement of the Connected Modular 45 vs the Connected 46 is the modularity

1EC5F54B-DBB6-4388-A6D3-4391B1F1AF37.jpeg
    The TH Modular concept makes this smartwatch unique, being easily customizable in few seconds with the wide range of available straps, bracelets, lugs, buckles, and -above all- the Carrera mechanical modules (Calibre 5, Calibre 16... and Heuer 02 Tourbillon, which is too expensive to be in my collection :D)

3853C9C1-E135-44A7-B78F-BF99E9AC3F06.jpeg
    There’s no other comparable watch/smartwatch in the world. As J.C. Biver explained during the presentation to the press, the most important feature of this watch is: “it’s Modular!”

Edited Jun 30, 2019
    dtf, VRman and TjPhysicist like this.
  17. chrisuk

chrisuk Jul 1, 2019

Don't do it. One of the worst watches I've ever owned (used with both an iPhone originally & now a OnePlus6T).

Various issues over the last few years, watch is not made very well & I would suggest it was a waste of the £2650 I paid for it.

It's still very slow to use (menu options lag, it still vibrates when off wrist, don't always need the pin when removed, watch has fell from my wrist on 4 occasions etc).

If you want a smart watch, buy one designed to be a proper smart watch & don't get pulled in by the name. It's the last Tag I'll ever purchase.

dtf likes this.
  18. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jul 1, 2019

Sorry to read this @chrisuk ! Obviously I don’t agree with you (I’m very happy with it and fully enjoying its Modular system) because my experience with the TH Connected Modular 45 has been very different from yours. I bought it in May 2018 and it works perfect (specially since system H update). And I recently bought a second CM45, the Kingsman edition, and it also works perfect like the other. So I guess the problem is your particular watch, not the TH Connected in general

For instance: how do you have these settings in Applications and Notifications?
    8004B23F-00E2-45A0-AA6A-EE9A9D4A7F2C.jpeg
    3A657095-F617-49BA-9791-9ED2E2FE74EA.jpeg
    I have “Don’t disturb if not on the wrist” activated, and it never vibrates when is not on my wrist

Are you running last system versions?:
    7399B33F-0EAB-45B8-945A-8999BFEC6FAB.jpeg
    4B3427D9-7771-4673-8FC8-187C63DA1186.jpeg
    If you already have the last versions, and you have issues, and it’s still under the 2 years of warranty... I would ask to fix it in my AD

Edited Jul 1, 2019
  19. TjPhysicist

TjPhysicist Jul 1, 2019

Sorry to hear, funnily enough these are all issues I've encountered with other wearOS watches as well, over the years I've owned at least 10 different wearOS watches. P.S: idk if you've tried all of this but try: resetting watch and disabling fit...ever since fit has been a thing about 6 wearOS watches ago (for me), back when I still had the square LG G watch...it was aweful, SLOWED everything down to a crawl. The MOMENT I disabled it, BAM - super fast! And, unfortunately there are still some watchface apps that aren't optimized properly and thus slow things down. I haven't really encountered this as much of late (maybe that's just because I don't try random watchface apps as much anymore) but I recall it certainly used to be an issue, and maybe still is.

Personally: Fossil is still the "the best" IMO if I had to advice someone who just wants smthg affordable and normal.

TagHeuer, IMO, is more than about buying a smartwatch - it's about buying into Tag. I did the calculation a while back, and the amount of money I have spent on THC45 + the cost of a Calibre16 mechanical movement is somewhere between "same cost as" and "only $400 more than" just outright buying a Tag watch from a similar movement (depending on what you go with). WITH the exception that a THC45 with a calibre16 movement is very unique watch, between it's modularity, it's design etc. That's really it for me, i LOVE the modularity and the watch straps are second to NONE (I cannot overstate this bit btw, of all the smartwatches i've owned and worn, the ONLY one that has come CLOSE to having a comfortable yet sturdy and well adjustable strap like this is the original Moto360 with it's horween leather, which was comfy A.F. And even there, the unique "no hole" design of tagheuer straps means micro-adjustability, something basically no one else has been doing, and Tag strap checks all three boxes)...AND it's basically like i'm putting a downpayment towards the later purchase of an actual mechanical watch...something I"ve always wanted but never really been able to afford.

Edited Jul 1, 2019
    Albert-AMG likes this.
  20. chrisuk

chrisuk Jul 20, 2019

Hi Albert,

Sorry for picking this up late. All my setting as as per yours, the watch still thinks it's on wrist when removed I think (as it doesn't ask for a pin always, sends constant vibrations for notifications when it's upstairs for instance).

All software as per yours as well, all the latest versions.

It went back to Tag last year with this and a few other issues but they said there was nothing wrong with it......

I'd get rid of I hadn't spent so much on it, the resale value will be next to nothing now as well I suppose.