Forums Latest Members
  1. Beppo G.

Beppo G. Dec 1, 2021

Do you think this can be refurbished to a nice one again? Any price estimates?

3B4E02FC-5C4C-481B-AB2C-D51532B1B510.png
  2. Yago

Yago Dec 1, 2021

New or tlc plexi and you’re done

SteveP likes this.
  3. abrod520

abrod520 Dec 1, 2021

Yeah I'd like to see more photos of the case sides from other angles but it looks OK to me. Might need a movement service too, if that's where the chrono resets to. Definitely worth it though IMO - this is a beautiful early 1153S.

4. Beppo G.

Beppo G. Dec 1, 2021

Unfortunately I only have this photo. It’s not mine yet. I am thinking about buying it without any more information. It’s said to be original. Cost estimates are welcome

5. Beppo G.

Beppo G. Dec 1, 2021

I am a beginner.
    Plexi is clear. Or and tlc not. Sorry

6. Beppo G.

Beppo G. Dec 1, 2021

This is plan B

94827513-C7B9-4C1D-80ED-7CF8E3AC274B.jpeg
  7. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Dec 1, 2021

I believe TLC = “tender loving care” in this context…

So @Yago is probably suggesting that you can either try to source a new (plexi) crystal or a vintage one that has been treated kindly enough to still use it (potentially after a gentle PolyWatch application).

Yago likes this.
  8. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Dec 1, 2021

Plan B looks nicer to my eye (even taking into account the crystal issue), but Plan A has the bracelet.
    So I’ll leave it to the experts to comment further…

9. Beppo G.

Beppo G. Dec 1, 2021

10. Beppo G.

Beppo G. Dec 1, 2021

Thanks!

11. Yago

Yago Dec 1, 2021

Ah I see, yeah you’ll need a lot more photos in order to decide between these two. If people want to sell their watches they need to provide hr photos.
    The first one looks like a good survivor but more pictures are necessary. The second one looks overly polished to me. The lower lugs seem to be polished round and there’s no way to correct that. But more photos needed.
    The plexi of the first really isn’t an issue. Can be sourced but this one will look really good when brought back to life. The bracelet is a nice bonus but all depends on price. Do the end links have the HLC stamp? Clasp signed Heuer, GF and date marked?
    Reference and serial numbers between the lugs? Photos of movement? Do they have a service history? Keeping time well? All chronograph functions working well?
    Lots of questions but can be costly if not properly checked.

paysdoufs likes this.
  12. Beppo G.

Beppo G. Dec 1, 2021

I have only verified information about the first concerning the serial number and the bracelet. There us no information about functions and service.
    This and the luminous inserts and color of date are worrying me about the possibility and the costs of refurbishment. The second is nice, with new glass, serviced, but not first execution I think.
    If I get strengthened by your professional opinion I will go for the first one.

13. SteveP

SteveP Dec 3, 2021

The points you raise above don't concern me-I'd say they look OK. Based on 1 photo, I would say it is a good, used 1153S. If it were me and the price were right, I'd be buying it and having it serviced with a new or cleaned plexi at the same time. The ONLY thing that would worry me is the dial marks next to the hour counter. That would possibly spoil it for me.

The only thing I can see that would possibly make the other 1153 later is the bezel, but that is debateable and they both look like early executions to me otherwise.

The above said though, unless the price is VERY competitive and you're prepared to take a risk, you really should be offered more details and photos of each.....

Steve

14. Beppo G.

Beppo G. Dec 3, 2021

It was an auction and it was today. Also got a condition report (good) and some more fotos from the auctioneer before. Unfortunately I didn’t get it. Highest bid including VAT and charges was 7k . Insane.
    Thank you all for your help! I am still interested to get one, so offers with a valuable price are welcome.

15. Yago

Yago Dec 4, 2021

7k is indeed outrageous for that one. It looked to be all there but it was just too rough for that kinda price. I’d sell mine for that and look for another good one :D

16. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Dec 4, 2021

I’m frankly lost here… Is it the dial color? Because for that kind of money, you have plenty of options in C-shape case Carreras. Hell - actually in most Buren 11/12 chronos you may fancy… ::confused2::

17. SteveP

SteveP Dec 4, 2021

Was that at one of the large auctions houses then? (to achieve that sort of money.) If so I likely brushed over it in a listing somewhere as it was nothing special. That's crazy money, even with the bracelet....

18. Beppo G.

Beppo G. Dec 8, 2021

It was an online auction of a big auction house in Vienna/Austria with many participants all over the world.

19. SteveP

SteveP Dec 8, 2021

Gotcha, I'm aware of them.

So-what's your own opinion then on this vs. the 1153N that also sold-no bracelet, arguably a far more popular model but 3kEUR less.......?

20. Beppo G.

Beppo G. Dec 8, 2021

I am focused on the 1153S Cal. 11., so I would prefer a an affordable model of this one. I am trying to open my mind for various options now, as the market gives no offers.

SteveP likes this.