dc42 Mar 14, 2017

Erm...

IMG_1144.JPG
    erich77 and Hubert like this.
  2. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 14, 2017

3. Hubert

That is a much nicer case compared to the original.

4. dc42

dc42 Mar 14, 2017

I ended up with same as you. Black rubber, black ceramic bezel and titanium lugs. Didn't bother with extra strap. Didn't like the leather one when I looked at it.

IMG_1145.JPG
    Shevagol and Hubert like this.
  5. Hubert

Yes, that is still the best combination. The extra full-black leather strap may not get too much use, but really felt compelled to order it, due to the whole modular concept. I am still torn on the mechanical module; if it was only a chronograph, I would have ordered one too.

6. dc42

dc42 Mar 14, 2017

I still don't quite get the mechanical bit. If I wanted to wear a mechanical, I'd put a mechanical on.

7. Wastelanderuk

Wastelanderuk Mar 14, 2017

So the questions is....

Will TAG continue with the original Connected mechanical replacement, or will the upgrade be to a Connected 45 mechanical module/strap combination ? Any inside news?

8. Hubert

All signs indicate that the option to upgrade an original Connected watch after 2-years, to the mechanical Calibre 5 exchange watch still stands.

I have seen no suggestion that original generation Connected owners will be able to upgrade to the new mechanical option.

Wastelanderuk likes this.
  9. Wastelanderuk

I just wondered if they'd consolidate production into a single version rather than continuing with the older Connected case as well as the new modular Connected 45. I'm not unhappy that the original design will still be the available upgrade :). Do you know when these will be available? I'm guessing from November onwards?

10. Hubert

I get it; it's a valid point. I suppose they will have a certain mechanical inventory in Switzerland that they can install in either case, depending on demand. I presume the new module is far more expensive to produce, so they will probably not use that route, unless they have remaining inventory to deplete, when a future generation Connected is released that uses different components.

Since the original Connected was announced NOV-2015, I presume two years on the dot would be a safe bet.

11. Wastelanderuk

I'm looking forward to November and the upgrade with great interest - the Connected has been a bit of disappointment to me; not because of the watch itself but because it's hamstrung in it's links with Androidwear on iOS. Still - I always intended for it to be a down-payment on the mechanical variant.

12. dc42

dc42 Mar 14, 2017

The original will get android wear 2 soon so that unlocks a lot of iOS potential

Wastelanderuk likes this.
  13. Hubert

There is a lot riding on AndroidWear 2.0 to grant a better (more equivalent) experience to iOS users. Hopefully this update will make a tangible difference.

I've always had Android phones (Nexus 6P & Pixel XL) with my Connected and they integration between them was very good.

14. Shevagol

Shevagol Mar 14, 2017

How do you notice the screen improvement vs 1st gen Connected? Is it so much better? Cant wait to try that watchface on my Connected

15. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Mar 14, 2017

I would love to have had the two together to give you a better answer. My perception is that the new screen is a lot better. It still works much better on darker colours and I'm not sure that its as good as Apple's screen, but I felt it was a significant step forward

Shevagol likes this.
  16. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Mar 14, 2017

Wow your article make me wanna buy smartwatch now...and meet president of Patek . Hahahaha

dtf likes this.
  17. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 15, 2017

I have updated the video link on David's first post to show the event.

18. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 15, 2017

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/tag-connected-modular-45-review

Wastelanderuk and Calibre11 like this.
  19. Wastelanderuk

Wastelanderuk Mar 15, 2017

It's an amazing piece of kit when connected to my Android works phone but only offers the bare essentials when connected to my own iOS handset. Let's see what difference AW 2.0 makes to it...but I'll still trade for a mechanical ;)

20. dc42

dc42 Mar 15, 2017

The black face watches look spot on. Colours look artificial. The automatic light feature is annoying and is already turned off with light set to level 2.

Battery is suspect. Lost a third in first two hours today with only a little bit of messing with it.

From my iPhone I am receiving text messages, even iMessages but cannot reply. Watch buzzes on calls but can only cancel, not accept the call. Notifications from news and sports are coming through automatically. So you get the same list as you do on the iPhone notification screen.

Cannot work out how to transfer the calander or contacts to the watch. If anyone knows how to do this then please tell. Guides online don't work.

Strangely, google maps is not installed and had to do this myself.

Music playing on the iPhone can be controlled on the watch.

All in all, if I could sync the calander and work out how to link the fitness apps together then it ticks the boxes.

Any other questions, ask away.