Forums Latest Members
  1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Sep 22, 2015

Logged onto eBay today to see that they are celebrating their 20th anniversary- certainly a number that took me by surprise.

I know that it's fashionable to point out that eBay "aint what it used to be" but to my mind the arrival of eBay has been the largest single factor in increasing the collectability of watches. It created a global market place for watches and an ability to work out what watches were actually worth. Fair to point out that this second point is not necessarily an advantage, as it means no-one is selling an unworn Monaco from their grandfathers sock drawer for $500!

How did eBay impact you as a collector? Good/ Bad/ Ugly!

dc

2. elbeik

elbeik Sep 23, 2015

I got my LNIB CAG2110 SLR on ebay at a very interesting price point.

This is not a model I would have considered walking through a shop; because of my fascination with Mercedes-Benz, I kept a followed search on ebay until the right one came along, almost 2 years down the road :)

Now I am trying to get rid of watches I don't wear from other brands on ebay. Selling is not a simple as buying!

3. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Sep 23, 2015

That's true- plus, eBay will step in these days if the buyer claims that there is any problem with the transaction.

There are some great value early 2000s models you can still pick up on eBay- some in NOS condition.

elbeik likes this.
  4. Ironliberty

Ironliberty Sep 24, 2015

I have heard horror stories (about Rolex watches nonetheless) where a buyer pulled the movement, filed a claim with ebay, and the watch was returned empty and the seller forced to give a full refund. Has anyone heard of this?

5. Cobain

Cobain Sep 25, 2015

Not of this in particular but this definitely happens. Nowadays if the seller is a store or with serious feedback he'll more likely to get screwed by the consumer rather than the other way around.