Forums Latest Members

Official announcement for Connected 2020 (E3) video?

1. Akineton

Akineton Aug 4, 2022

Hello all,

I've been searching the web up and down for the E3's official announcement video back in March 12. 2020.
    I found that the party was held in Manhattan, presented by Frederic Arnault, and that it was one of the last ones allowed before Covid restrictions kicked in.

Can anyone confirm that there's indeed no video for the event?

Thanks!

2. Anthony.R

Anthony.R Aug 4, 2022

It was held on the 13th of March 2020 in NYC.
    I remember some video at the time but nothing on the official Tag Heuer site.
    Frédéric did post some video from the event on his Instagram page.

Akineton likes this.
  3. Akineton

Akineton Aug 4, 2022

Thank you @Anthony.R .
    I wish I could find it - if you know the link, please share it.

I'm particularly interested what was the reasoning given behind the dropping of the modularity feature, since I assume it was one of the most obvious things that reporters would ask (if they were present and allowed to ask). I read a review that attributed it to making it "less bulky" and less of a "science project" - I wonder if Arnault said something along those lines...

Albert-AMG likes this.
  4. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Aug 4, 2022

That was not the only difficult question to reason: also how, having gone from being E2 Swiss Made to E3 made in China, a Chinese E3 made of steel was more expensive for the customers than a Swiss E2 made of titanium and Modular! :taunt:

Akineton likes this.
  5. Akineton

Akineton Aug 5, 2022

Indeed, but I'm less curious about the answer to that question, since Aranault has expressed in various interviews the target audience of this device: to my understanding, Global North tech-savvy 30-somethings who spend 0.5-1k every weekend partying and would like a more upscale smartwatch.

6. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Aug 6, 2022

In other words, they outsmart customers, setting a price well above cost (even if it is a lower cost than the previous model), because that high price -although it is not now justified by the product- gives it the exclusivity that the target audience is looking for… yes, of course now seeing brand new E3 with a 50% discount at the TAG Heuer outlet stores (when E2 Modular only reached 30% discount when it was discontinued) it seems so…

260FB4E1-35D4-4D53-B8D3-C102823F8F3C.jpeg

It is sad, and when the high price is not justified by the product, it is only a short-term benefit. In the end, customers who pay a premium price also demand a product with quality, reliability, and features that justify it. You can hoodwink them once, but it will be difficult for you to retain them as customers in the future.

Akineton likes this.
  7. Akineton

Akineton Aug 6, 2022

The thingy is Alberto (and I call you that because I'm Spanish both in ancestry and native tongue), the target audience of this particular device (a luxury smartwatch with virtually no competition) is one that cares less about modularity (and more about the shape), less about being China made, and frankly, for whom spending 2k is something they do not even notice (affluent, university educated, tech-savvy young adults). At least in Toronto, where I am located (and I assume for the rest of the Global North too), I regularly interface with MANY MANY of them. TH did their research, and indeed, doubled down with E4 - including the 42mm, given that 'unisex' increasingly is a pillar of this demographic.

If I could make a prediction, it'd be this: E5 will have the new 5th generation Snapdragon, have a substantially better battery life, and will not differ fundamentally from E4's two versions (the 45 sport 'masculine' and the 42 unisex elegant). If possible (and we do not know yet this because the new silicon is not tested), thinner, if it doesn't substantially sacrifice battery life. Modularity shall remain an instantiated collector's item to be forecasted in museums of technology as an amazing (and beautifully candid) proposal. If the majority of buyers would be purist connoisseurs, the market itself would probably not exist :)

Anthony.R likes this.