Forums Latest Members

No customer service battery exchange on Connected models

1. 0173

0173 Sep 5, 2020

I like this watch! But I would like to own it as long as my other TG watches. (wearing a 999.206A from 1990 right now)

After request to the TG customer service I received twice the information that it is not possible to replace a worn battery, even not from the TH service.
    Answer was, that I can charge it at least 500 times before it drops capacity.
    In daily use, after two years you are on 700+ charges and out of warrenty = out of the change-to-other-model-program = this watch is very close to a disposal item.

I still look it up on the aftermarket frequently, but I guest it will never be a smart buy.

Having two interchangeable batteries in a stainless steel cover in TH quality to hook it up on the back (having no.1 in charger & no.2 on watch v.v.) would have been a brilliant idea und having me in the boat. Still leading to the problem, that there probably will be no phone to connect it to in ~10 years, but still a nice piece of art and able to tell the time.

I actually don´t understand the connected´s policy.
    Offer battery replacement and you can call me in.

2. Ninja1400

Ninja1400 Sep 5, 2020

Don't buy a car either, just in case you have an accident...

3. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Sep 5, 2020

500 cycles “before it drops capacity” doesn’t mean that after 500 days of daily use the battery will be dead. One cycle means charging the battery from 0 to 100%, so if you just use 50% of the battery during a normal day, it means you are completing a cycle every two days of use (charging it two days from 50 to 100%)... so 500 cycles would be 1000 days, so probably would be around three years, and in case you don’t wear any of your other watches nevermore!

But they said “500 cycles before it drops capacity”, so maybe after three years of daily use you may not have the same hours of range as when the battery was new, but maybe 10%-20% less range, which is still enough for a full day of use.

I’m using my Connected Modular 45 almost daily since May 2018, and battery range is even better now than when it was new, because Wear OS software updates have improved a lot the battery consumption. So not problem at all at the moment.

If we talk about the Connected Modular, another solution (in addition to the mechanical modules) to this future battery problem is buying a spare smartwatch module and keep it as a replacement. Price for just the head is obviously lower than for the complete watch, because we use same lugs, straps, and buckles from the original watch with the dead battery.

2DE71599-679F-480B-A37F-0A75611E6ACB.jpeg
    2BAF20BC-F174-4B49-8280-B5819CCC893D.jpeg
    I have found one, brand new, still with the protective stickers, and I will keep it stored (it’s recommended to store it with the battery charged up to 80%) to secure that I will be able to enjoy my Modular 45 collection during many years, and not only with the mechanical modules. If someday the battery of my current Connected Modular 45 stops working, I will have this other smart module ready and with a fresh battery to replace it.
    It’s not easy to find it new, but you can find a spare module with few use and better price. There are some for sale at ebay (at around €400-€500 depending on the condition), and also in our Marketplace forum:

https://forums.calibre11.com/thread...-brezel-2-charging-pucks.117371/#post-1560600

https://forums.calibre11.com/threads/watch-head-only-tag-heuer-connected-modular-45.119001/

BMW Works, Snowy, VRman and 1 other person like this.
  4. dtf

dtf Sep 6, 2020

Not really a valid comparison, there's no 'in case' about battery degradation, it will happen.

Has anyone cracked the back of a connected yet?

Colin Jamieson likes this.
  5. Ninja1400

Ninja1400 Sep 6, 2020

All technological products have a limited life due to degradation.

6. 0173

0173 Sep 8, 2020

Valid comparison with your argumentation would be:
    Mercedes doesn´t offer any spare parts for A-Class engines after two years. But, within the warrenty, you may pay for an upgrade to a B-Class model (which your actually never wanted to drive).

More realistic comparison would be, if TH (and anybody else too) wouldn´t offer any battery replacement for their Quarz watches. You may be lucky having it for 5 years, until it looses it´s very own usage for ever.

Actually no matter if it lasts 500 or 1800 charges - a watch without capability of battery repalcement?
    I still love it, but it´s unrequited love...

Colin Jamieson likes this.
  7. 0173

0173 Sep 8, 2020

46 connected can be unscrewd from the back but it´s not waterproof (no-go for me)
    I may be wrong, but 45 & 41 connected modular seem to be build up from the top with the display glued in as last process. Thermal disassambly of the display may be possible, but they still are quite expensive on the after market to have it a try... IT`S ONLY A GUESS!

Snowy likes this.
  8. Ninja1400

Ninja1400 Sep 9, 2020

You are complaining for no reason.
    According to the Technical Service of Tag Heuer in my country, it's possible to replace the battery of the Connected 2020.

Edited Sep 9, 2020
    Anthony.R likes this.
  9. neowatch

neowatch May 20, 2021

I’ve had my Gen 1 since 2016, It has now gone through 800 charging cycles and with always on display set to on, I’m still left with 30 to 35 percent left each day. Watch generally on 12 hours per day. I would really like to find an app in wearos which gives battery health like you can get for phones on google store but I can’t find one. I know someone side loaded a goggle app which does this onto the watch but I’m a bit scared to try. This app would at least tell us how much storage capacity is still remaining.

BMW Works, Albert-AMG and Anthony.R like this.
  10. VRman

VRman May 29, 2021

My oldest Gen2 started showing the signs of a swollen battery, very hot and only charging to ~15-20%. It disassembled pretty easily and I confirmed a swollen battery. Given it's age and the abuse from my daily use not really surprised. I have a couple of replacements on order and we'll see how replacing it goes.
    Battery1A.JPG

Replacement
    Battery2.JPG

Edited May 29, 2021
  11. neowatch

neowatch May 30, 2021

Wow that has really swollen. Did it start to open the case by itself due to the expansion ?
    Please could you tell me the process you used to open the case, I’m quite close to wanting to do this process myself and don’t want to mess it up.

thanks for your pictures.

BMW Works and Albert-AMG like this.
  12. neowatch

neowatch May 30, 2021

Ps. Was there any glue etc or was the top screen section just held in by pressure.

BMW Works and Albert-AMG like this.
  13. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member May 30, 2021

Very interesting! :thumbsup:

Could you please post pictures of the disassembled Gen2, instructions on how to change the battery, and also where to order a new replacement battery (and price)? That would be very useful for all Gen2 owners :)

Thanks @VRman ! :thumbsup:

dtf, BMW Works and Anthony.R like this.
  14. dontworryspain

dontworryspain May 30, 2021

[QUOTE = "VRman, publicación: 1795332, miembro: 55678"] Mi Gen2 más antiguo comenzó a mostrar los signos de una batería hinchada, muy caliente y solo cargándose a ~ 15-20%. Se desmontó con bastante facilidad y confirmé que la batería estaba hinchada. Dada su edad y el abuso de mi uso diario, no me sorprende mucho. Tengo un par de reemplazos en orden y veremos cómo va.
    [ADJUNTAR] 1229955 [/ ADJUNTAR]

Reemplazo
    [ADJUNTAR] 1229956 [/ ADJUNTAR] [/ COTIZAR]
    ¿Puede indicarnos cómo se desmonta? Gracias

15. VRman

VRman May 30, 2021

Here is a a couple of pics of all components, Right to Left. I used a plastic pry tool, 0.9mm hex bit and a small flat head. Bezel/antenna did not require to much force. From the underside I could see time and outside elements had started to break down the adhesive. This will surely not be the same for every watch. Heat from a heat gun may be required to loosen that adhesive.

Using the plastic pry tool and taking my time avoiding any major damage to the orange o-ring and plastic sealing gasket that keeps the LCD module tight in the titanium body. This area requires extra attention to minimize any damage. This was the most difficult area and will require some sealant on reassembly. I also kept the LCD module intact and did not disassemble it any further.

You can see that the watch started to get some moisture working its way in. This watch has daily exposure from a coastal environment, salt water/air so I am not surprised.
    When I reassemble I'll use some marine adhesive and sealant in addition to whatever I use for the Bezel/antenna.

Battery sources:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000989935440.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.632e4c4dX1BF2m
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/284101941835Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

TH8.jpg
    TH_Connected1.jpg
    TH_Connected2.jpg
    TH6.jpg
    TH5.jpg TH7.jpg

Edited May 30, 2021
    0173, Shabeer, BMW Works and 4 others like this.
  16. neowatch

neowatch May 30, 2021

Great , thank you. It seems like you did a very clean job in removing it all. Well done on that.
    Am I right in thinking that the glue only holds black bezel onto the screen module, ? What holds the screen module to the titanium back casing ? Thx

is the glue only on the top and bottom of the bezel ? Thx

BMW Works likes this.
  17. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member May 30, 2021

Thank you for all the info and pictures, @VRman !! :) :thumbsup:

BMW Works likes this.
  18. BMW Works

BMW Works May 30, 2021

Thanks for sharing. I think I ll replace the battery soon just to have a new one inside.

Albert-AMG and dontworryspain like this.
  19. dontworryspain

dontworryspain May 31, 2021

[QUOTE = "BMW Works, publicación: 1795902, miembro: 43565"] Gracias por compartir. Creo que reemplazaré la batería pronto solo para tener una nueva adentro. [/ CITA]
    Cuando la hagas graba los pasos más importantes por favor, no me queda claro.

Edited May 31, 2021
    BMW Works likes this.
  20. dontworryspain

dontworryspain May 31, 2021

[QUOTE = "VRman, publicación: 1795628, miembro: 55678"] Aquí hay un par de fotografías de todos los componentes, de derecha a izquierda. Usé una herramienta de palanca de plástico, una broca hexagonal de 0,9 mm y una pequeña cabeza plana. El bisel / antena no requirió mucha fuerza. Desde abajo pude ver el tiempo y los elementos externos habían comenzado a romper el adhesivo. Seguramente esto no será el mismo para todos los relojes. Es posible que se requiera el calor de una pistola de calor para aflojar ese adhesivo.

Usando la herramienta de palanca de plástico y tomándome mi tiempo para evitar daños importantes en la junta tórica naranja y la junta de sellado de plástico que mantiene el módulo LCD apretado en el cuerpo de titanio. Esta área requiere atención adicional para minimizar cualquier daño. Esta fue el área más difícil y requerirá un poco de sellador para volver a ensamblar. También mantuve el módulo LCD intacto y no lo desmonté más.

Puede ver que el reloj comenzó a entrar algo de humedad. Este reloj tiene exposición diaria de un entorno costero, agua salada / aire, así que no me sorprende.
    Cuando vuelva a montar, usaré un poco de adhesivo y sellador marino además de lo que use para el bisel / antena.

Fuentes de batería:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000989935440.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.632e4c4dX1BF2m
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/284101941835Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[ADJUNTAR] 1230267 [/ ADJUNTAR]
    [ADJUNTAR] 1230256 [/ ADJUNTAR]
    [ADJUNTAR] 1230257 [/ ADJUNTAR]
    [ADJUNTAR] 1230264 [/ ADJUNTAR]
    [ADJUNTE] 1230263 [/ ADJUNTE] [ADJUNTE] 1230265 [/ ADJUNTE] [/ QUOTE]
    Como son los pasos, el reloj se abre quitando el bisel y de frente o por atras ?.
    La batería está debajo de la pantalla o debajo de la placa detrás de de la caja?

Como son los pasos, el reloj se abre quitando el bisel y la parte delantera o trasera ?.
    ¿La batería está debajo de la pantalla o debajo de la placa detrás de la carcasa?
    Gracias por aclarar un poco más.