New Post- How to Spot a Fake TAG Heuer

Wish they explained how it works! If it basically comes down to a barcode on the backplate, isn't that fakeable?
It might be if they explained how it works ;)

Good point. I'm sure I have a QP Magazine with an article about blockchain somewhere... I'll try and find it and endeavour to educate myself!

Essentially, Blockchain is a distributed ledger (or database). Each computer in the blockchain needs to agree on the data otherwise it is rejected. When it is added, a checksum is used to link it to the previous entry. Once added, it's very hard/impossible for anybody to change the blockchain, so it's a very secure record.

Essentially, Blockchain is a distributed ledger (or database). Each computer in the blockchain needs to agree on the data otherwise it is rejected. When it is added, a checksum is used to link it to the previous entry. Once added, it's very hard/impossible for anybody to change the blockchain, so it's a very secure record.

It's coming back to me... but how do they stop 'cloning' of the barcode itself?

It's coming back to me... but how do they stop 'cloning' of the barcode itself?
Does the barcode confer any additional security in itself? Or is it just a more convenient way to check the watch against the database?

Well if they can clone the watch and the barcode, then how do you know the database relates to the original watch or the fake?

I'd guess only one watch-owner and one serial number per watch can be registered in the decentralized database at once. So no clones possible, they don't make it into the blockchain.
If you buy a watch the seller will give you the access code to the electronic wallet, where the identity and owner information is stored and he will transfer the wallet to you.

Sorry I must sound really thick here... I thought there was going to be something where you actually scanned the watch, so what you're saying is the watch without the code would be effectively worthless (or at least it could not be proven to be real).

That's how I understand it. You can register your watch already on the TH Website. I think it will be just an advanced registration technology.
Well there are other possibilities like in the 'Masterblock' https://www.masterblock.ch. but I guess a unique serial number should work just as well...?
Edited:

I totally agree with you, it's getting harder and harder to differentiate between the real and the fake ones these days. With the advancement in technology and manufacturing processes, fake watches have become extremely close to the real thing. That's why it's important to have some knowledge and tips on how to spot a fake one. Thanks for sharing the image and raising awareness about this issue. If you're interested in buying a genuine TAG Heuer, I'd suggest checking out authorized dealers and shops, or maybe even considering buying a pre-owned one from a reputable seller. At teh same time, it's important to remember that some people really like this kind of watches and seek them.
Edited: