2. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Feb 24, 2015

Finally! Thank you David.

3. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Feb 24, 2015

So what do you think?

4. Hubert

As always your reviews are detailed, thorough, and enjoyable David.

As for the watch itself, I am still a fan, but would have rather preferred the same silver/panda color combination inside the same case used in the JH80 and the two limited productions in blue and anthracite that followed. Your side by side comparisons really make me love those previous models even more.

I get the retro feel and I realize the intentions of this particular design. I'm just fearful that moving forward, these vintage themed editions will not share the traits found on the flagship models. The more I think about it, it seems Jack's design for his 80th birthday will likely remain the pinnacle for quite some time.

In the end, I'd love to see something that looks closer to these originals in a ~41mm size. The Calibre 18 design seems too cramped.

Vintage.jpg

Edited Feb 24, 2015
  5. imagwai

imagwai Feb 24, 2015

It looks great in these photos. The dial looks more gold than silver, but I also sense that because of the way it reflects the light, it's going to be one of those watches that looks more stunning in person than can be captured in a photo.

The curved edges of the dial and the soft curve of the crystal take the edge off slightly for me. It's a personal thing but I think I just prefer a slightly more defined or angular profile. For the same reason I prefer the shape and lines of my original 36mm Carrera re-issue to the later 39mm reissues. Size-wise, this one at 39mm hits the mark, though.

The date is in a good position, and the subdials are well positioned and I like the colour of the hands. I think I would have preferred a tachymeter scale on the chapter ring as opposed to the telemeter on the dial with inset markers. I also think the exhibition caseback is unnecessary.

Overall it's a beautiful watch, though. I could certainly be tempted but for now I'm not biting. Still think Tag have priced this one just a little on the high side.

6. Hubert

So besides the impressions you noted on the article David, what would you have preferred differently? And are you planning on getting one?
    Last time, with the anthracite Calibre 17 you bought it on the spot. Did you have the same impulse today? Granted, we've been seeing this for weeks in photographs, but still, given the option, would you have bought it?

7. elbeik

elbeik Feb 25, 2015

I love it, but I am not sure I am ready to invest 6.4K in it.

8. hallanthony

hallanthony Feb 25, 2015

Great review David, as always. Lovely photos and explanation on how the design cues change the watch

Liking the color and sizing myself, but the price is to high for me

Looking forward to seeing it for real maybe at Goodwood FOS where I fell for the JH80 a could of years back :)

9. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Feb 26, 2015

Thanks for the comments Gents. Let's see on pricing, as feedback from dealers could change this, but don't get your hopes up.

Yes, I would buy this one ahead of the Calibre 17 Carrera that I have, and I say this not just because the Calibre 18 is shiny and new. If you don't look at the dial of the Calibre 17, it feels like any other Carrera or modern watch due to its size- but the Calibre 18 feels and looks different...quite unique.

10. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Feb 26, 2015

Thanks David, look forward to the release. Despite my previous criticisms, I'm definitely getting one of these. I trust future vintage themed models will continue to evolve, so it's good to have variety.

11. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Feb 27, 2015

Thanks Anthony!

12. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Apr 28, 2015

13. drunken monkey

drunken monkey Apr 29, 2015

....yeah....
    I'm probably going to end up buying this one.

It's not often I can commit to a watch before having one in my hands but well, this isn't that difficult a decision really.

I wonder if the bracelet from the older 39mm Automatic Carrera watches will fit.
    How about that oyster like one that was paired to the outlet models?

14. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member May 3, 2015

Seems like the Calibre 18 Telemeter is on the St Tropez boutique. St Tropez.png

15. elbeik

elbeik May 3, 2015

And so is the new brand logo

16. Hubert

Yes; that's the first thing I noticed.

How's the one in front of your office coming along?

17. elbeik

elbeik May 3, 2015

Not so well; the whole building is a retail chain in the region, Paris Gallery, has been obviously contracted to amateurs.
    The finishing is disastrous.

The TH distributor is obviously cutting corners with stickers instead of proper signs.
    I have yet to see the inside of it.

IMG_2068.JPG
  18. Hubert

Thanks for the picture; judging from it, I have to concur with your impressions.

19. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jun 2, 2015

I called TH yesterday and I was told the Calibre 18 Telemeter and the McLaren 30th Anniversary were delayed to Q3. Any official word?

20. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jun 6, 2015

I'll see what I can find out

Hubert likes this.