Forums Latest Members
  1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 9, 2015

Thanks to Osmosis who noted that TAG Heuer has made reference to two new 39mm Heuer Carreras:

Heuer Carrera Watch
    - A silver and blue 3-hand watch with a touch of red on the flange’s “60”, the Heuer logo and the second hand
    - A small blue second counter
    - Blue leather strap
    - From the description, it sounds like a Calibre 6 movement

Heuer Carrera Panda Chronograph
    - A black and silver chronograph with polished push-buttons and two counter chronograph at nine o’clock and and seconds at three
    - could be Calibre 17 or Calibre 18 from this description (remember that there is a vintage-sized 39mm Link Calibre 18)

While the first model sounds interesting, it's the second that will excite collectors the most, especially if some of the detailing (e.g. Pusher design) is true to the original. Whether it is a Panda or reverse Panda...or both like the Carrera CH80 isn't clear.

And the 39mm size is brilliant news- sure, it's still 3mm larger than the original, but in my view a perfect size for a retro chronograph.

No photos...yet, but here are some of the original courtesy of Paul Gavin's excellent Heuerworld
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 9, 2015

Great news! Let's hope we get some photos soon!

3. Osmosis

Osmosis Jan 9, 2015

Someone has to have papparazzi'd the watch if it is at an event.

What are we guys hoping for? A complete 1964 homage or a modern take on a heritigate piece but using modern finishing techniques?

4. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 9, 2015

I prefer a modern take on heritage pieces, using modern materials, finishing techniques, and components.

Kuby likes this.
  5. Osmosis

Osmosis Jan 9, 2015

I just hope it it more like a mini Jack Heuer 80th birthday edition vs the 40th Anniversary Carrera.

Time will tell!

6. Kuby

Kuby Jan 9, 2015

Something that I'm very interested in. I'm making a watch using 'modern' methods to apply vintage/heritage design clues to give my timepiece a contemporary twist. I'm so looking forward to what TAG Heuer announce this coming year.

7. Wisconsin Proud

Wisconsin Proud Jan 9, 2015

Frankly, after all the new Carrera watches released recently (Jack heuer, 80th etc.) I think the Carrera is being over done.

8. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 9, 2015

I'd expect the chronograph to be a straight re-edition- very similar to this 39mm Carrera, but with two registers, a Heuer logo and coloured sub-dials rather than "Daytona" rings.
    Scans036.jpg

In other words, I think it will be more like the 40th Anniversary Carrera than the Jack Heuer 80th.

The watch is a different story, as there is no Silver/ Blue 3-hand watch in the back catalogue. So I'd expect this to be be a heritage style Carrera rather than a re-edition. Either way, they'll certainly be using 2015 movements rather than digging up old Valjoux parts.

Wisconsin Proud, agree with you on the Carrera...TAG Heuer has to be careful not to turn into the "Carrera Watch Company", as it seems that everything is a Carrera these days- the Carrera range is far too broad in my view. However, I see these watches as being our "payback" for the cancellation of the retro Carrera CH80, so I'm looking forward to seeing them.

9. Pell031

Pell031 Jan 9, 2015

boy i really must agree here. While these watches have certainly hit on my favored design aesthetic, I find myself hoping the brand will bring more.

10. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 10, 2015

David,
    Do you think there are more "Vintage themed Heuer" editions coming, besides these two, for 2015?

I ask given that you consider this chronograph a "reedition" and that you had heard a rumor that one or two " vintage themed" models were in store for the year. Thanks!

11. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 10, 2015

A while back I heard that there were two Heuer-branded Carreras coming- which I assume referred to these two. I don't know anything else about other vintage-themed models, but probably unlikely given these two in the range.

Also interesting that neither watch was called out as a limited edition.

dc

12. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 10, 2015

Thanks David, I hope there's more to come in the Carrera or Monaco lines.

13. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2015

39mm is an excellent choice, I'd love it if they made them manual winding, even if they do as Zenith does and take the auto winding system off for some extra thinness.

14. Mark_85

Mark_85 Jan 10, 2015

Personally David I'd rather them move away from the bi compax & do a 45 Dato

image.jpg
  15. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 16, 2015

16. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 16, 2015

Very nice, can't wait to see the pictures!