Forums Latest Members

New Heuer-03 XT Carrera with new movement technology

1. calibre11user

calibre11user May 24, 2017

We've heard rumors that Zenith, a stablemate of TAG Heuer within LVMH, will soon release a watch with a brand new mechanical technology that is fundamentally different from the current state of the art. These rumors were previously mentioned in a 5/20/2017 article on Monochrome Watches with a brief mention of "a new escapement that is likely to be constant force, amagnetic and athermic". Apparently Zenith and LVMH let out some information while introducing Zenith's new CEO at a press meeting.

Now, TheWatches.TV released a video on 5/24/2017 from that same press meeting with some addtional juicy details. I captured some screenshots of what can be seen as a "Heuer 03 Carrera" watch. This was not some top-secret stolen material. Rather, JC Biver was wearing the watch as plain as day and inviting members of the press to look at it right on his wrist. You can see the close-up of the watch at 4:25 into the video.

Quoting the video's host, Marc Andre Deschoux:

We had a glimpse of something totally revolutionary that we saw on Mr. Biver's wrist, something completely disruptive, a radical new movement architecture and approach that will be unveiled pretty soon by the brand. It's a real scientific breakthrough and comes directly from the world of mathematics. So we can't wait to discover some more about this rather strange and intriguing, shaking type of escapement.

heuer03_watchestv.jpeg

In the third screenshot above, you can see the new Zenith El Primero 21 Defy on JC Biver's left wrist, while the mysterious new Heuer 03 is on the right wrist.

[Mod: Screenshot added back in given it has now been widely published on other watch forum]

Edited by a mod Jul 23, 2017
    erich77 likes this.
  2. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member May 24, 2017

Guy Semon is the man driving TAG Heuer's side of the innovation. Here's a recent interview with Revolution Watch recorded during Baselworld, where he talks about the Heuer-02 and the collaboration work with Zenith.

erich77 likes this.
  3. Hubert

I created a GIF to show the clips of the watch on a loop.

Heuer-03.gif
  4. dtf

dtf May 24, 2017

Can't wait to hear more about this! Nice to see they are still innovating

5. Hubert

Yes, it's great to see that movement innovation is back in force at TAG Heuer and Zenith.

6. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange May 24, 2017

Subscribing. This looks interesting.

Calibre11 likes this.
  7. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 25, 2017

Hi guys- please delete the screen caps and Gif. Rest is ok to stay, including video interview

8. calibre11user

calibre11user May 25, 2017

Why did JC Biver show off the new watch/technology in front of a room of journalists? Were they all under NDA? If so, then TheWatches.tv broke it, but Marc Andre Deschoux doesn't seem like the kind of person who would do something like that.

9. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 25, 2017

No, they wouldn't have been under NDA @calibre11user . Not sure if you've seen your inbox, but I sent you an explanation which I'm happy to repeat here so that there's no mystery.

I sent the image directly to JCB and asked if he'd be willing to talk about the watch and the movement. Most times when I've asked this, he has said yes- that's how we had confirmation on the Autavia here several months before it was talked about anywhere else. In this instance, he asked that I didn't use the photos- so I need to respect that. He's an incredibly open CEO (I think everyone would agree on that), so on those occasions when he doesn't want something shown, I think it's more than reasonable.

The movement will come first in a Zenith, and then follow in TAG Heuer about 12-18 months after..I'm not sure when Zenith will talk about the movement, but I expect that it will be some time this year.

Getting back to the movement itself, I'm intrigued about what the movement does- clearly, another Guy Semon production!

10. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member May 25, 2017

Guy Semon keeps exceeding expectations.

If we had to name the top five figures of TAG Heuer, one could contend they are:
    JCB, Christoph Behling (3rd party design), Guy Semon, and of course Jack Heuer (retired honorary chairman).

Is this list missing somebody?

11. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange May 25, 2017

Thank you for the additional background info David. It's awesome that you have the ear of JCB and that he trusts you.

12. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange May 25, 2017

Yes, you only named 4, lol :)

13. calibre11user

Marc Walti, Product Director
    Alec Monopoly, Art Provocateur

14. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange May 25, 2017

I assume that you are joking?

15. calibre11user

dtf likes this.
  16. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange May 25, 2017

Well, in a conversation about the top 5 figures at TAG Heuer, you mentioned Alex Monopoly alongside Jack Heuer, Guy Semon and Christoph Behling. You absolutely must be joking!

17. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member May 25, 2017

Yes, Marc Walti should come after JCB.

JCB, Marc Walti (product director), Guy Semon, Christoph Behling (3rd party design), and of course Jack Heuer (retired honorary chairman).

18. dtf

dtf May 26, 2017

Is this the new El primero movement?

19. drunken monkey

drunken monkey May 27, 2017

He's not at the company anymore but everything they are today is because of the path JCbabin started on ten years ago.

Hubert likes this.
  20. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member May 27, 2017

IMG_20170527_142301.jpg
    The mystery watch is firmly planted on JCB's wrist during the Monaco F1 weekend festivities.

bjkchen, Calibre11 and erich77 like this.