Forums Latest Members

New Connected 2020 (E3) Mechanical module - Speculation

1. TAG GUY

TAG GUY Mar 17, 2020

I believe the Carrera cailbre 16 will take the interchangeable straps from the new Connected. Since it is 22mm, the rubber straps are not a question, it will fit. The issue is, will the steel bracelet from the connected fit the Carrera case? Who can confirm this? We need a modular setup!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Mar 17, 2020
  2. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Mar 18, 2020

You might want to check before you go buying bracelets etc, the width may be correct but is the positioning of the pin correct? Jim bought a leather strap for his Heuer 01 Carrera titanium recently and it isn't compatible with the steel case version.

Jim Dollares and Albert-AMG like this.
  3. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 18, 2020

There’s no option for a Gen3 mechanical module being separately sold as it was with Gen2 Modular, because it hasn’t separate Modular lugs... Price for Gen3 rubber straps is just around 100€, so there’s no way for TAG Heuer to balance the final price offering a mechanical module -at low price- to the Gen3 owners, as they did with Gen2 owners.

Because if you were not a Gen2 owner, and you wanted to build a Modular mechanical Carrera per parts, you needed to also buy the Modular lugs (at very high price), so the very expensive Modular lugs were the way to keep non-Gen2 owners out of the game, or in other words: it was the way to reward Gen2 owners for the Connected purchase, offering a mechanical option “Connected to Eternity” at very good price, but only for Gen2 owners.

Gen1 owners had to return their complete watch to receive -at special price- a mechanical Carrera Calibre 5 in exchange

Gen2 owners (already owning Modular lugs) could enjoy the mechanical modules at very interesting price

But Gen3 owners have no “Connected to Eternity” program at the moment. If TH offers a mechanical module, it would be just 100€ less expensive than the normal Carrera (which doesn’t make sense, and obviously it’s not a great reward!), otherwise (if the module were cheaper) anybody could buy a Gen3 mechanical module and later the straps at 100€, taking the advantage that should be only available for Gen3 owners.

So, unless TH starts another exchange program for Gen3 owners (having to return the smartwatch head to receive a mechanical head at low price), there’s no way to use the modular system here as a “future proof” system

BMW Works likes this.
  4. TAG GUY

TAG GUY Mar 18, 2020

I know that TAG doesn't actually sell a mechanical head as a modular system for the gen 3. If they have a watch that will fit the collection of straps I will have for the gen 3, that would be modular enough for me!

Albert-AMG likes this.
  5. Albert-AMG

Yes, but -as it didn’t happen for Gen1 and Gen2 owners- you would need to pay the full price of a complete mechanical watch. You have no advantage for being a Gen3 owner, while Gen1 and Gen2 owners had two different “Connected to Eternity” programs to beat obsolescence.
    This is another decision from TH about Gen3 that I don’t like nor understand :thumbsdown:

BMW Works likes this.
  6. dWOOTLER

dWOOTLER Mar 18, 2020

It does say something about Tag when they had to offer both mechanical options to Gen 2 owners basically saying if your smart watch no longer works or is not desirable (not updated) then you can use another option if you have extra cash. i liked both the mechanical options on gen 2 and purchased them both for a much reduced price i might add and i wear them more than the smart head itself.
    The Chinese gen 3 offers none of this to its set up so i for one will not be purchasing again.

BMW Works and Albert-AMG like this.
  7. TAG GUY

TAG GUY Mar 18, 2020

Yeah I agree it's not cool, and I would have to pay full price. Just want a mechanical watch for all my straps. I think TAG will have a better selection for the gen 3 over previous

8. TAG GUY

TAG GUY Mar 18, 2020

How did u get them at discount?

9. Albert-AMG

Really? :confused: Do you think TAG will have a better and wider selection of straps for Gen3 than this one for Gen2 M45?

DD18E559-23B1-4BB9-ACF2-253446E41BAF.jpeg

If so, Gen3 has started very slowly, because Gen2 M45 had already many customization options (56 different models vs 4 for the Gen3) and straps from the beginning!

Jim Dollares and BMW Works like this.
  10. TAG GUY

TAG GUY Mar 18, 2020

I love your collection, no wonder why you don't want to switch to the gen 3 lol.

Yeah I think there will be more choices. They already have "leather" with red stitching. And if you look at the similar bands for the autavia, the have NATO, leather, etc. But we'll see.

11. Albert-AMG

BMW Works likes this.
  12. Albert-AMG

:D Thanks! It’s missing the Heuer 02 Tourbillon mechanical module ( @Snowy has it! :rolleyes:) , the pink rubber straps from the Giro d’Italia Special Edition, and the orange rubber strap with TH logos (only available at the US market), but I think it’s quite complete! :)

Yes, having to start from zero with Gen3 not being compatible with this Modular system is obviously a strong reason to keep going with my Gen2, also because my iPhone can only have one tethered smartwatch, so it’s Gen2 or Gen3, and I want to enjoy this collection also with the smartwatch module, not only with the mechanical modules. Maybe my Gen2 will last enough to wait for Gen4 ;)

BMW Works likes this.
  13. BMW Works

BMW Works Mar 18, 2020

Again this picture.... now i cant sleep . I saved this pic ever time and cant stop watching and zooming arround.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  14. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 19, 2020

:D ;) :thumbsup:

15. EmJay

EmJay Mar 19, 2020

No chance he can sell it for 2,000 GBP. Naive.

16. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 19, 2020

True. Probably he doesn’t know that these mechanical modules will go to the TH oulets (at least this is the info from the TH outlet in Barcelona) with 30% discount... or he is trying to sell it to someone who doesn’t know it ;)

17. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 26, 2020

I updated the title of this thread, since this is just speculation. There is currently no Mechanical module for G3 Connected.

18. EmJay

EmJay Mar 27, 2020

The modular concept has been terminated. It is clear that you can just buy the mechanical watch and use the detachable straps between different models including smartwatch.

They have also introduced the recycle program for smartwatches (astonishing 100 bucks) which may change over time (like 200 bucks or something), but there is no business case for them to introduce "mechanical heads" at a discounted rate, makes much more sense to increase recycle cash back.

Thus I don't see any reason to speculate on here. Just wait till they get their stock up to date with non changeable pins for most of their general product lines and new straps. I hope also that they will come up with more mechanical watches instead rather than spending resources on seasonal "modules".

19. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 27, 2020

Yes, the modular concept is a huge lost for Gen3. TH is not taking care of their Gen3 customers as they did with Gen1 and Gen2 with the “Connected to Eternity” future proof programs (full mechanical watch exchange for Gen1, mechanical modules for Gen2), so Gen3 is the first TH smartwatch with a serious obsolescence problem. Previous TH management did a great effort to beat this problem in such expensive device, but new management seems to only take care of Gen3 costs and benefits, not of their Gen3 customers. It’s sad :unsure:

This “recycle program” is another bad joke from the current TH management, because Gen1 and Gen2 don’t need to be recycled (only Gen3 will need to be recycled!): Gen1 and Gen2 already had future proof programs, and moreover, their prices in the second hand market are many times over the 100 or 200$. The modular system allows to keep value and selling Gen2 per parts, even taking more profit from it... and just a heavily used titanium buckle is being sold for more than 100$! So offering just 100$ for the complete watch is insulting!

And TH can’t offer “mechanical heads” for Gen3 at a discounted rate because Gen3 has no separate lugs, so there’s no way to balance the price as they did with Gen2 Modular lugs, so there’s no way to offer an advantage just to Gen3 owners. Offering a mechanical head just 100$ cheaper (because 100$ is the price for the Gen3 straps) than a complete mechanical watch doesn’t make sense, and it’s not an advantage for a Gen3 owner either. So the only way for TH to redress this, would be another exchange program for the Gen3 as they did with Gen1: so returning the full Gen3 watch after two/three years of use (or at least the Gen3 head) and receiving a complete mechanical watch (or the mechanical head) in exchange, for a reasonable amount

For Gen3 customers is sad that TH are not spending resources in their obsolescence problem. If there’s no future proof program, when Gen3 becomes obsolete, the full investment from the customer will be lost and it will be just a very expensive paperweight

Being a Gen2 Modular owner, I’m very happy that TH spent resources in the mechanical modules, because these modules keep the value of the watch and the Modular collection (because you can use the watch and all the expensive and high-end accessories with heads unaffected by obsolescence). I’m fully enjoying two of these mechanical modules, which are not “seasonal” at all, because both are “Connected to Eternity” ;)

BMW Works likes this.
  20. EmJay

EmJay Mar 27, 2020

Is this unaffected by obsolescence? :)

[​IMG]