Need help with TAG Heuer 1000 980.006 timeline

Hi guys, I'm looking to buy this watch from a local seller but I'm a little bit confused so hopefully some of you Heuer historians can clear this up.

As far as I'm concerned the timeline goes something like this:

-8440 is the original quartz and it's french manufactured
-It gets renamed 908.006 and production moves to Switzerland
-Then with the expansion of the line came 980.006L with smaller case and the '1000' on the dial
-Then after the merger came the 980.006N with the TAG Heuer logo and the '1000' moved to the bottom

So I'm not sure where this example fits in the timeline, I have looked and looked on google images and all the 'TAG Heuer' dials have the N suffix, only 'Heuer' dials have the L suffix.

Is it possible that this one came from an early batch before the letter was changed since I've read that both L and N cases are basically the same? The only other explanation is that it has the wrong dial but I'm hoping that's not the case.

Here are some pics, what do you think?

No records were kept by Tag Heuer so it is all pieced together over time by collectors.

I would class your 980.006 as a transistional piece, from probably circa 1986. Likely before catalogues we’re updated in full and so the same model reference used.

In production at this time Heuer parts were mixed in with Tag Heuer parts (bracelets, case backs and dials), but I see no reason to think yours would not be original due to everything being Tag Heuer signed.

The cases and parts between the L and N suffix models are identical so theoretically it could be a replacement dial, but the dial looks to be aged appropriately, so see no reason to doubt the watch.

Enjoy the watch :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info and the clue about the dial makes sense.

I plan on doing a little restoring and I have read before there is a guy here that specializes in 1000s, would you happen to know who I'm talking about and can you link me please?

Hi,

I got this as a gift vintage but thats all I know can you help me date it ? i only have the one photo but i can take more in a couple of weeks -

Hi,

I got this as a gift vintage but thats all I know can you help me date it ? i only have the one photo but i can take more in a couple of weeks -
Maybe this request should be in a new thread rather than someone else's about a different model.

But, I'd suggest your starting point would be the catalogues:
https://www.calibre11.com/catalogues/

But I also have a feeling this model came up before and we all found it difficult to find a reference of a white-dial Monaco that had that design and subdial arrangement. I will have to see if I can find the thread.

The model number from the caseback would be helpful if you have it.