Forums Latest Members
  1. dennyt

dennyt Aug 6, 2021

6CEB5C74-856E-4BFD-86AD-D032835D272E.jpeg Hello everyone.
    I have what I believe is a Heuer Viceroy watch. Here the story.
    My brother who passed in the mid 90’s in his younger years , the 60’s, went thru a time life when he was involved in sports car and SCCA racing in the St. Louis area. While not driving he pitted and worked as mechanical on a gentleman who raced a TR-4.
    I was a young guy in teens and like many other ended up in the army. I was away for decades .
    He passed in mid 90’s and I cleaned his affairs up. Part of his items was a Heuer watch sans band and not running. it moved with me as is for the next 25 years.

Finally recognizing I may have something special I took it to a local repairman. This repairmen is a refugee VietNam war pilot now in 60’s, who worked his way thru high school repairing watches. Now he has electronic repair shop and still does watch repair . He found one broken part , fixed it and clean the watch in a pre ultrasonic L&R cleaner.- a true craftsman in today’s throwaway society.
    That’s the history of the watch. Knowing the financial background of my brother I can only assume he got the watch via the Viceroy promotion.

the watch now runs perfectly and appears in excellent condition. One side of the case says “ 1163” and the other says “246498”. I have attached a photo of the face . The rear has no markings.

At this time i am undecided whether to sell it or keep it or its value.
    I would be interested in comment on history - dates etc of the watch. Either Pm, direct email or via reply on forum.
    Thanks in advance

dennis
    I

Redwes25, Shabbaz, felsby and 3 others like this.
  2. imagwai

imagwai Aug 6, 2021

3. dennyt

dennyt Aug 6, 2021

You

you right the V is there.
    Thanks

4. abrod520

abrod520 Aug 6, 2021

Hello Dennis, and welcome to the forum! As you say, with the 'V' stamping below 1163, it would have been part of the Viceroy promotion and indeed the serial number is smack in the middle of the range for those. So, he likely bought it in 1972.

It looks like a wonderful example, with a nicely preserved dial. As a memento of your brother, I think you should find a nice strap for it and enjoy it - these are hardy watches and wearing it, especially after the service and cleaning, won't threaten it.

felsby likes this.
  5. dennyt

dennyt Aug 7, 2021

Thank you for replies .
    At this time still undecided
    1. If keep what’s is value for insurance purposes
    2. If I sell .... how to and suggested selling price .

I am leaning to keeping but I could use money to build my DW a green houses she always wanted.

6. imagwai

imagwai Aug 7, 2021

If you were in the UK, I would be insuring for replacement value around £3500. I'm not saying yours is worth that, possibly a little less, but if you wanted to buy another one, then this is probably what you'd need to spend.

If you sell, then your options are:
    - a sales thread on this forum
    - an ad on Chrono24.com (you can also use this site to give you an idea of values)
    - eBay

7. dennyt

dennyt Aug 7, 2021

Thank you

8. felsby

felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Oct 12, 2021

Did you sell, or decided to keep?