Forums Latest Members

My recently acquired Heuer ref 844 diver

1. zakruvalcaba

zakruvalcaba Sep 13, 2021

So you've probably seen my previous post on the Autavia 1163. I purchased that watch because I'm now intrigued by vintage Heuer. I've caught the bug I guess you can say. Thanks to a buddy of mine who recently gifted me his Heuer ref 844 that he purchased new in 1981. I had no idea what it was until I started doing a little more research. I'm still a bit perplexed by which version this is because I've seen the version with the cathedral hour hand and I've seen this version (Mercedes hour hand). However I have not seen this version without the "Made in France" lettering at the 6'oclock. What do you guys think? Which version are we looking at here? I also told my buddy I would compensate him some money....he insists that I don't but I want to. What do you guys estimate the value as this watch sits? The watch is running about an hour fast per day so I believe it to be heavily magnetized and in desperate need of a service. It's never been serviced in 40 years.

heuer1.jpg heuer2.jpg
    PhillipDB, dtf and Yago like this.
  2. SteveP

SteveP Sep 14, 2021

Hi-well congratulations firstly. Your friend has/had good taste!

We see SO many variations of these 'Monnins'/844s it really is difficult to say what is correct or otherwise. A few points I'll comment on-
    -it is not uncommon to have no 'Made in France' on the dial
    -yours has the often coveted 'large lollipop' second hand.....although the tail is peculiar and not one I've ever seen before
    -slightly unusual to have the bezel pip, but as it is a later model it is reasonable to say it is OK
    -if you ever open the caseback (I'm not saying you should necessarily!) it will be interesting to see if the movement is the FE4611a or not.
    -the main thing that strikes me-is there no '844' or other marking on the s? It is quite unusual but sometimes they get worn/polished until very feint or further!

If I had seen all these components together anywhere else, I may be questioning if they started life together but it seems like you have a solid story so it is another variation to add to the pile! Vebelnist's site is a good starting place to see some of the basic features-
    Heuer Monnin 844: A Brief History and Collector's Guide — VEBLENIST

Value? While there is some dial degradation I think some would be blinkered towards the lollipop hand-very difficult to say but EUR2-3k?
    Best, Steve

zakruvalcaba likes this.
  3. zakruvalcaba

zakruvalcaba Sep 14, 2021

Great info Steve, thanks for the detailed reply. I have no reason to doubt my friend....he is in his 50's, not a watch guy at all, and this watch mostly sat on his desk at his house for many years. I fully trust that he bought this watch new and just never wore it past a certain period of time. I'm 99.9% sure that this watch is all original. As I mentioned in my post, the watch is running about an hour fast per day and the power reserve is highly inconsistent so I will be taking it in for service soon. I'll make sure to have the watchmaker take a good quality picture of the movement. What strikes me as very odd, aside from the missing 844 is there isn't s single serial number or other marking on the watch aside from what you see on the case back. I took the strap off and there's nothing in between the lugs. Very odd. Also, I sourced what I believe to be a period correct Heuer bracelet for this watch. I'm not 100% sure if these bracelets came with these watches but it fits the 844 perfectly. What do you guys think?

heuer3.jpg
  4. SteveP

SteveP Sep 15, 2021

Hi, no there wouldn't be any other serial/model number than that shown on the caseback as you say. Often just '844' but there can be a serial number too. I believe the story and it's an interesting one that's come to light-thanks!

The bracelet is 99% perfect-they certainly did come with a jubilee such as this. A real stickler could argue this is a later type bracelet but even then you would only know it from the clasp-type. Plus being an apparently later 844, you could argue back that it's not an early 1979 version anyway! ;))
    Best, Steve

zakruvalcaba likes this.
  5. zakruvalcaba

zakruvalcaba Sep 15, 2021

Great info and much appreciated Steve.

SteveP likes this.