Forums Latest Members

My Monaco 'Madness' It continues (Nov 22nd)

1. jacinabox

jacinabox Aug 4, 2021

I thought it might be of interest to some to give a brief story of my short, but ongoing, journey with my Monaco collecting.
    First of all though, the 'Madness' in the title is simply how Mrs JiaB describes my current collecting habit. I on the other hand would describe it as perfectly rational and acceptable...well you would wouldn't you?

The first watch, which I think came in April this year and resulted in me being directed this forum as the font of all knowledge regarding all things TAG Heuer was the CAW211K, the limited edition Club de Monaco.
    It did result in some wailing and gnashing of teeth with me think it might be hooky.
    Bought from a dealer on C24 on the basis of it being unworn and a full set - it wasn't. The Ltd Ed number had been partially obliterated, the papers were wrong and I suspect the box is wrong too. A bit of to and fro'ing between myself and the dealer with the C24 team mediating we agreed a suitable reduction in price which left me happy.
    A kind member here looked at some pictures I sent him and felt it was a genuine watch. Subsequently confirmed by two local dealers nearby.
    Sure, the lack of correct papers and box, together with defaced Ltd Ed number grates - but I hugely enjoy wearing the watch and it's gained a few nice comments from non-watch people.
    The watch is here to stay and the lack of bits 'n pieces really shouldn't be an issue .
    I particularly like the matte finished orange stitched OE strap - it's a peach and works so well with the watch. 20210804_114216.jpg

The following month I spotted a CAW2111 on eBay. A well written advert with very good pictures of the watch. A full set including original purchase receipt, but his pricing was a little ambitious. There then ensued lots of friendly messages between the seller and myself and a much more sensible price was agreed. I tend to judge sellers by the quality of their communication, this fellow was spot on so the deal was agreed.
    The watch was better than he described and there is very little evidence of it being worn.
    I love the blue sunburst dial which really comes alive in bright sun.
    20210804_114131.jpg

Another month passes and while having a ferret around on C24 I spot a dealer selling a CAW2114 for a very attractive price. I didn't really go looking for another Monaco, but felt it was worth pursuing albeit it was a loose watch only with no box or papers. Contacted the dealer and made an offer which they readily accepted.
    They sent a video of the watch and highlighted the only fault they could see with the watch which was a tiny pinprick mark on the side of the case and it was fitted with a non-OE strap...it came on a beautiful Italian made genuine croc' strap which barely showed any wear and I 'd argue was of better quality than TH's OE straps.
    I particularly like the 'clean and crisp' look of the dial - it all comes together so well.
    20210804_114327.jpg

Now to come to last months purchase, a CAW211D. This was a watch that I feel in love with when i first saw it. I missed a mint full set a few months ago which really made me dig my heels in to search one out. This came via a private seller on C24. Again, I think he was a little ambitious with his pricing. So more good natured negotiation, lots of messages and requests for decent high res' images saw this land with me last week.
    It's superb, a full set and in lovely condition. It's probably one a few CAL11 Monaco's I'll wear...I cannot, just can not get past the horizontal hour markers. I know it's a nod to the Monaco's heritage, but as much as I try to like the layout, it's not for me.
    I also really like the Heuer branding on the dial and clasp.
    The box too, lovely polished wood affair that's so befitting the watch rather than the bland boxes that the regular Monaco's comes with.
    All in all a fabulous watch that's going to be competing hard with my other favourite, the Club de Monaco.

20210804_114732.jpg 20210804_114825.jpg 20210804_115440.jpg 20210804_115113.jpg

So, is there room for any more? Yes, I think a Gulf coloured CAL12 would fit nicely...sadly Mrs JiaB has asked that I might take a break from collecting "clown" watches. She's been pretty tolerant so far. So in defferance to her her request I'll make August a Monaco-free month!

Finally, I really need to acknowledge the help and advice that's been given to me here and especially Aquagraph who put together that wonderful Monaco guide recently...could be a rabbit hole that'll suck me in!

Thanks all :)

Edited Aug 4, 2021
  2. jacinabox

jacinabox Aug 4, 2021

Hmm, how would I get the photo to follow the relevant chunk of text. Had thought if I clicked the insert photo button it would insert at that point?

It's a bit 'wordy' too. Sorry!

3. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Aug 4, 2021

First hit "return" on the spot within the text where you want the photo placed and then click "insert" on the individual photo. Repeat the process one by one, rather than an "insert all".

Nice story BTW. I've also purchased 4 Monacos, but my first two were about a decade ago, my last two in 2019. I seem to have gone for them in pairs.

jacinabox likes this.
  4. jacinabox

jacinabox Aug 4, 2021

Thanks for the advice Mspeedster, managed to edit it now :)

Mspeedster likes this.
  5. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Aug 4, 2021

Here's a pic of my Gulf C12 "clown" watch, to tide you over while you're on your buying spree hiatus. :whistling:
    20210625_080912.jpg

6. jacinabox

jacinabox Aug 4, 2021

Yes, that's very nice and would finish off my small collection perfectly.
    That model seems to be thin on the ground in UK and I can only find one with the seller asking a rather rich price.
    Several have appeared in the EU at a much more sensible cost. But with Brexit anything from over the channel is going to be hit with an additional 20% + in VAT and fee's.

I'll try some patience and see what turns up. I've no reason to be disappointed with what I have just now.
    Having said that there's a nice looking CW2118 looking for a new home that's tugging at me!

Anyway, it's probably time I spent some money on dear Mrs JiaB...off to see if I can find her new ironing board tomorrow :D

7. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Aug 4, 2021

What a lovely collection! Well done.

There is definitely room for more ;).

This had me in stitches!

jacinabox likes this.
  8. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Aug 4, 2021

Don't let her read this post!

jacinabox likes this.
  9. HoltzPlatz

HoltzPlatz Aug 4, 2021

Absolutely, and you've posted a great timeline of collecting carefully selected Monacos too. Thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

jacinabox likes this.
  10. kappa_md

kappa_md Aug 5, 2021

I suddenly remembered the "300" line in the movie, "This is Madness!" This is Monaco! :thumbsup: LOL (sorry for the corny joke)
    Great Monaco collection sir and thanks for sharing your story! My favorite among the four is the "Black McQueen" Calibre 12 ::psy:: I really like the red accents in the hour and minute hands, and the white subdials that pop out more in the black dial. This feels a more motorsport heritage livery to me. I was deciding back then if I'd get the ACM vs the Black McQueen since both are very similar :whistling: Since you are here in Calibre 11, this is not madness, I'd say, you are perfectly on the right track :thumbsup: :D

jacinabox likes this.
  11. kappa_md

kappa_md Aug 5, 2021

The most noticeable watch I have worn and been commented by non-watch people (guys and gals) have been the Monaco. The square case is truly unmistakable and creates a great starter conversation for those who doesn't even bother with watches. So for the WIS and non-WIS alike, the Monaco is truly something of an iconic and timeless watch (pun ;))

PS: Don't stay too much browsing and lounging at C24 :D The itch bug bites there :p (peace)

jacinabox likes this.
  12. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Aug 5, 2021

Thanks for sharing your story @jacinabox its an incredible Monaco collection you have built in such a short time. My favourite of the four is definitely the CAW211D

Remember that if the wife complains too much you can always replace her. Watches should always be your number one priority.

jacinabox likes this.
  13. kappa_md

kappa_md Aug 5, 2021

:whipped::whipped::whipped: (your wife)

:D:p

Aquagraph and Jim Dollares like this.
  14. jacinabox

jacinabox Aug 5, 2021

Thank you for all your comments, they're appreciated :)

I didn't realise the CAW2114 wore the title of 'Black McQueen' Learnt something new today.

The ironing board comment has had a rethink. While I like to playfully (but truthfully) describe my wife as being 'about as domesticated as a ferral cat' I reckon I'd use it more than her :D
    I'll find something more fitting I'm sure.

While I'm resisting the temptation to spend too much time on C24 I'm going to try and discipline myself not to buy for a little while...we'll see!

kappa_md likes this.
  15. kappa_md

kappa_md Aug 5, 2021

jacinabox likes this.
  16. OnTheSuperFly

OnTheSuperFly Aug 22, 2021

Wow – that's a big collection since April... I've waited 20 years for mine...
    ..and that's going to be a heck of an ironing board!

17. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Aug 23, 2021

Mine says I’ll never find anyone else daft enough to take me! She might be right!

Jim Dollares likes this.
  18. jacinabox

jacinabox Nov 22, 2021

The 'madness' continues.

Enter what my friend, perhaps appropriately, describes as the 'elegant Monaco' I find myself agreeing somewhat and it's not that I would suggest Monaco's have no elegance. Sporty yes, but inelegant no.

I spotted a CAW211C for sale at an online dealers site. Full set inc original purchase receipt and a documented TAG Heuer service in mid 2019. Described as mint (an over used hateful expression in the used watch world) It wasn't with some very minor signs of wear, but not enough to upset me and want to send it back.

Very different to all my other Monaco's and the brushed silver dial does lend itself to wear in more formal situations maybe...but I'm one to wear what I want wherever I want within reason.

20211119_144603.jpg

I've tried to (poorly) catch the way the dial can seem a brilliant silver to a more subdued light grey depending on the light.

20211119_144550.jpg

I seem to have collected a few aftermarket Monaco straps so I thought I'd have a little play around and this Monaco lends itself quite nicely to a little watch strap changing. I think the orange croc effect works rather nicely and would make a nice summer watch combination. Even the others with the orange stitching work well with the orange highlights on the hands and dial.
    Thoughts good or bad appreciated!

20211122_104647.jpg 20211122_104500.jpg 20211122_104302.jpg 20211122_104415.jpg
  19. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Nov 22, 2021

God bless you sir, mighty fine silver dial you have there.

Limited offer right now, join the Church of Silver Dials at a discounted price of $1 700 per year (normally $8 450 per month). Happiness is guaranteed and you will be granted free TAG Heuer watch service in the afterlife. Send me a holy dm for more details on how you submit your payment for eternal soul satisfaction.

Spiritual regards
    Pope Jim

20. jacinabox

jacinabox Nov 22, 2021

Pope Jim, thank you for your reply.

I did wonder if my Silver Monaco might qualify me for a standing room only space at the back of the Church of Silver Dials. Apparently not, even despite the generous reduction in membership cost.
    While I could just about muster the fee, I fear it likely that next Sunday's lunch would consist of two boiled eggs between three a most unholy war would break out over who gets the lions share of the yellow bits.
    Best I save the joining fee and make sure we all get a boiled egg each next Sunday thus preserving domestic harmony :)

thingziliketoo and Yago like this.