Forums Latest Members
  1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Mar 2, 2015

Last week I was lucky enough to spend an hour with M. Biver. Highlights:

Smartwatch
    - Yes, is there a lot of thinking going about about a potential TAG Heuer Smartwatch. We spoke about the origins of the "Smartwatch", from the Swatch Paparazzi series from 2004 to the different models emerging today. Most of what we spoke about was off the record, but TAG Heuer is giving considerable though to which partners are right to work with, how their offering can be distinct from others and- vitally- how to meet the challenge of a disposable Smartwatch vs. a traditional mechanical watch (upgradable components?)

The Future
    JCB outlined his vision for future TAG Heuer product. A few highlights:
    - Focus will be on distinctive TAG Heuer designs inspired by the design history of TAG Heuer (note, JCB doesn't distinguish between "Heuer" and "TAG Heuer"- to him, it is all TAG Heuer
    - Putting the sex appeal back into the designs
    - A customer should be able to know instantly that they have a watch with an in-house movement, that is, it must look distinct from other models. Expect a Carrera with a modified Calibre 1887 movement, to be called CH-01. This may have a different dial layout (e.g. 3-6-9) than today's Calibre 1887.
    - There is still a place for "Heuer" branded watches- to be used selectively
    - Going forward, there will be far more consistency in the range- fewer novelties each year
    - Materials: Increased focus on new materials other than steel- both types of materials (e.g. carbon fibre) and alternating materials on a watch
    - Rather than having the F1 as an entry level series, it will be placed alongside the others- distinct style between Carrera, Aquaracer and F1, each with a range of price points

2. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 2, 2015

Very interesting David! Must have been quite the meeting. Glad to see some of the comments discussed on this forum were raised to JCB for his consideration. Can't ask for anything more. Great job!

3. Calibre11

Thanks Hubert. For me the most interesting was about the CH-01 Carrera- while he gave no clues on what it would look like, he was clear that it could not look like a Carrera with say a Calibre 16- it had to be different. I also suspect that the CH-01 in a 3-6-9 configuration is also the final nail in the coffin of the CH80...

4. dtf

dtf Mar 2, 2015

Very happy about both those.

Sounds like an interesting chat, i really hope they come up with something convincing for the smart watch (which is something I feel Apple failed to do with their Watch). Solar/mechanical charging, with a contactless charging mat for my bedside table seem like a good start, maybe with a pluggable processing module, or with the electronics integrated into the strap. It'd be a fun time to work in watch design!

5. Hubert

Thanks for the additional info David. When I read your original post I had hopes to see something close to the CH80 design, but now... hope is fading. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how these turn out.

6. Calibre11

Well, it will have the same dial layout as the CH80, so that's a start!

7. Hubert

Yes, the current 12-6-9 layout has gotten tired and the 3-6-9 shift is certainly welcomed! I just hope some of the other traits from the CH80 design carry over. Such as the 41mm size, the Tachymeter readings within the crystal, hopefully a white "panda" or silver colors, and eventually 'vintage themed' Heuer edition/s.

8. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 2, 2015

12-6-9 will always be synonymous with ETA 7750 due to the ubiquity of that movement and I think he's absolutely hit the nail on the head there in that the average person would have to google the reference number in order to tell the difference between a 7750 based Carrera and a more expensive 1887 Carrera. Making a clear distinction by using the more traditional (and better looking imo) 3-6-9 layout is definitely the right way to go and someone should have said it sooner at TAG Heuer.

When you're paying a premium for an in-house piece from TH you want to see that its a bit special from the others right away.

9. elbeik

elbeik Mar 3, 2015

S
    Upgradable components similar to Montblanc's e-strap? That's what it smells like, and I believe it would be a viable option.

10. WillMK5

WillMK5 Mar 3, 2015

Very happy to hear the CH01 will have a 3-6-9 layout. That's what I liked most about the CH-80. (Silly since the CH80 was more impressive)

DC, any mention of the Monaco series?

11. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Mar 14, 2015

Not that I recall...