Forums Latest Members
  1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Oct 15, 2016

You may have seen that Mark Webber announced his retirement this week- since finishing up in Formula 1, he's been racing with Porsche in the WEC.

As an Australian, Webber was a relief! We'd gone years without an F1 driver, so I'd followed Mark's career in the F3000 days and then his testing roles with Benetton. He got the job with Minardi in 2002 and then finished fifth in his first Grand Prix in Melbourne..and was invited up onto the podium with Paul Stoddard. I was also lucky enough to be at Monaco in 2010 when he was his first Monaco GP (and Dan Ricciardo won the Formula Renault 3.5 warm-up race for Red Bull).

And...there is a TAG Heuer connection! Webber was a TAG Heuer Ambassador from 2007 for a couple of years, but had to drop the deal when Casio signed up with Red Bull. Here he is with the Aquaracer

AR_CalibreS.jpg AR_GDate.jpg Mark Webber Making Of.jpg Mark Weber and his Aquaracer 500 Black dial Steel bracelet 2.jpg Mark Weber and his Aquaracer 500 Black dial Steel bracelet.jpg Mark Weber and his Aquaracer 500 Steel and Gold, black dial and rubber strap 2.jpg Mark Weber and his Aquaracer 500 Steel and Gold, black dial and rubber strap.jpg

All the best for a well-earned retirement @aussiegrit ;)

2. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 15, 2016

Sad end of an era but great bloke and a great career, world champion at last in WEC no less

3. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Oct 16, 2016

Congratulations to Mr. Webber for a great career!

4. WernerBoeinck

WernerBoeinck Oct 16, 2016

There is an interview with Mark Webber concerning his retirement: http://dai.ly/x4xe80a

Cheers
    Werner

5. WernerBoeinck

WernerBoeinck Nov 21, 2016

Fernando Alonso is interested to go into Mark Webber's footsteps and would like to join Porsche in LMP1!

6. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 21, 2016

Makes sense for Alonso. I still think that he is the most complete driver in F1, but he has no path into Mercedes or Red Bull, so his only options are another year at McLaren (confirmed) and then next I'd expect that he'll move on to LMP1 at the end of the year unless Honda pull a rabbit out of that hat.

The only issue with that is that LMP1 is struggling a little with Audi now gone and the manufacturers turning their attention to Formula E